Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130935 - 03/18/10 09:20 PM This is a forum of innovators
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I like this group because of the challenging innovations and constant current of new ideas. It has a good balance of newbies and folks of all experience levels. As opposed to other groups, the trekkers group has only one way of doing things and they resent new ideas, the hammockers have a limited number of ideas and write over and over about the same ideas about hammocks and never talk about packs, stoves or clothes. The Portland hikers don't even hardly mention gear at all. The Mt Whitney group would rather write about baseball than stay on any serious topic, and they are inundated by people without a clue who want to summit without gear or skills. Trailspace is a good group, but it is very top heavy with a huge percentage of senior campers, but the material is varied and you get good information there. The people at trailspace care about each other maybe even more than this group.

But like I say, this group has many wonderful people and constant new ideas and innovations to think about.
Jim

#130938 - 03/18/10 09:34 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I find they all have their own personality, all different. Depends on what crowd joins in. Good mix here, not much interest in trip reports.

#130939 - 03/18/10 09:36 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
lori Offline

I can tell you don't ever visit the hammock forum, cause right now there are threads about food, packs, and stoves going - not to mention all the ways you can use whoopie slings.

Still, this is definitely one of the nicer forums, and I do appreciate it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130940 - 03/18/10 09:50 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Amen, Lori! Those guys are always tinkering with something and coming up with new ideas. Some stick, some don't but they're not afraid to try.

I also got some great links to DO cooking.

And, it seems there's a hang going on somewhere just about every weekend (or close to it).

There's one this weekend at Davy Crocket National Forest, but I won't get to attend. We've got another activity going on that I'll be able to post about after it happens.

Tango61

#130944 - 03/18/10 10:54 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
Jimshaw Offline

Lori
thats what I'm talking about, how much can you say about whoopie slings and tarps? I don't see a lot of innovation there.
Jim

#130946 - 03/18/10 11:48 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
What is a whoopie sling? Is that anything like a whoopie cushion? smile

#130956 - 03/19/10 08:45 AM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By lori
I can tell you don't ever visit the hammock forum, cause right now there are threads about food, packs, and stoves going - not to mention all the ways you can use whoopie slings.

Still, this is definitely one of the nicer forums, and I do appreciate it.

yeah but they won't let you talk about kayaking with a hammock as it is considered off topic but food, packs and stoves are on topic..go figure confused

Edited by Ewker (03/19/10 08:47 AM)

#130961 - 03/19/10 10:59 AM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Ewker]
lori Offline

Heck, why not kayaking? There's folks asking about tents, for heaven's sake. Maybe post in the random thoughts thread? we're talking about unemployment in there....

#130962 - 03/19/10 11:00 AM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Howie]
lori Offline

Hammockers didn't name 'em, it's actually borrowed from the arborists. Google it sometime - don't get sticker shock, the ones the arborists sell are way more expensive for some reason.

#130963 - 03/19/10 11:05 AM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
lori Offline

You don't see the innovation cause you aren't a hammocker, maybe. For those of us who get tired of lugging 20 feet of strapping and rings, it's a darn nice option to have.

Frankly, there's just not a lot of innovation in the backpacking world - just fine tuning what's already there. And maybe them's fighting words, but all we ever do is play out a million variations of a sack on the back with a collection of gear that varies in material composition and size, but it's always more or less the same. The stove geeks want to wave their hands about how the titanium stove is different than the aluminum one, the tent geeks want to show off the difference between the Epic sewn to the bugnetting and the silnylon, the pack geeks want to go on about cuben pack vs sil vs cordura...

I like not needing to detach the #$%^^ ropes from the tree to adjust the position of the hammock under the tarp when it starts raining and it's obvious the head end is an inch too far. That's enough innovation to make me happy. It's all I can really expect - how much are you going to expect the basic formula of fabric between trees to change?

It's all micro-innovation until the antigravity backpack shows up.

#130968 - 03/19/10 12:43 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have asked before. They said they would do it in the members forum only. If you can talk about everything else then why not kayak hammock camping. I got told to stop bringing it up by a moderator.

I posted a thread about the National Parks Series and it got moved to the members only forum. I can't even post on it now frown

That might be me talking about tents smile

Edited by Ewker (03/19/10 12:45 PM)

#130971 - 03/19/10 01:06 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Kinda like when I subcribed to BPer mag years ago, after a couple years, they've covered it all. In fact, some mini location reports got rerun. Just give me the dirt on any new stuff. I go to a stove forum now for some different topics. Can't believe all they talk about is camping/bping stoves and how to fix them. They post photos of their stoves like it was their just graduated from college kid.:)

#130972 - 03/19/10 01:32 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

Well, I'm sure there are a ton of people who can't figure out why folks would be so het up about white gas vs. isopro vs alcohol - "aren't they all the same?"

Over on Backpacker magazine forum it looks like there are mainstream backpacker folks slowly dipping toes in the alcohol stove pool - one guy can't figure out why his stove (a bud can cut down into a cup) doesn't boil water well. He's on the first rung of the ladder that will take him to advanced alcohol stove physics if he keeps climbing... and when it comes down to it, you practically do need a lot of physics to get why the number of holes, air gaps/vents and so on have to be just so... all to get that perfect burn with max fuel conservation.

So yeah - all stoves are the same, except different. All hammocks are the same, except different. And to us innovators that's just a laugh - if they were all the same why would any of the stove/hammock/pack geeks bother? And why wouldn't the guy trying to fit a full backpacking kit into a summit pack be able to do that without sore shoulders? It's just a pack, right? If the gear fits why won't it work? He'll take the REI guy's word for it over the say-so of folks on the internet any day! The REI experts know best, right?

I'm sure if someone starts talking to me about all the innovations in climbing gear, I'd be all, duh, isn't it just ropes and little metal thingies? (cue eye roll)

#130976 - 03/19/10 03:17 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I think this forum focuses on technique rather than gear. I have not slept in a tent in several years and no longer shop for tents. I am not qualified to answer questions about the latest and greatest tent.

The depth and breath of knowledge and experience on this board is stunning. We can tell a noobie what to look for in a pack, but may not be stay current on the retail market.

The hammock forum people are innovative. They have moved hammock gear forward very quickly. Bottom insulation and suspension changes everyday.

#130978 - 03/19/10 05:37 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Ewker]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Perhaps I misread the thread in which you are referring,but i thought the issue was a dedicated subforum about kayak hammocking which the mods said no to?

#130979 - 03/19/10 06:02 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Ewker]
Jimshaw Offline

Ewker,
Please post something about kayak ham mocking :), maybe on the canoe forum. I am always thinking about making a tent cover for my canoe.
Jim

#130987 - 03/19/10 07:46 PM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: Jimshaw]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
I am not a thru hiker. I came on this forum to learn how to lighten my load, after a 28 year gap in my backpacking history. I quickly learned that I can no longer sleep on the ground, with my CCF pad. I started looking for alternatives and I beleive it was Bigfoot's post on this site, with his Warbonnet Blackbird and his winter tarp, that sent me looking.

When it comes to innovation, IMO those hammock guys are off the charts. Many are not ultralight or even light, but they don't claim to be. You want to see innovation check out this topic DIY Hammock Stand. Or McEntire's Prairie Travoismade from bamboo poles. Most the time, they post very elaborate diagrams or step-bystep photos of their projects. It makes me want to go buy the stuff and attempt it myself.

#131072 - 03/22/10 10:37 AM Re: This is a forum of innovators [Re: lori]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I stopped looking at hammockforums for a while because I thought I had read it all, and they weren't changing much. Then, a couple weeks ago I decide to give them a look..and.. shocked ...A WHOLE NEW SUSPENSION SYSTEM!!. shocked And it is a leap from anything before.

So, I see them as very innovative. Definitely more than we are here.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum