Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130358 - 03/08/10 11:01 PM What size pack?
Lee10 Offline

Loc: USA
I've finally talked my wife into backpacking so I'm starting to look at equipment. Trouble is, I don't know what I need. I have just about decided on the boots, Danner, because I've owned a pair of the Ft. Lewis boots, and I loved them. Now, the pack. We would probably not be spending more than two or three nights out. We would mostly camp in the early Spring/late Fall.
We would be carrying sleeping bags so the pack would need to accommodate that. I'm not familiar with the size capacities. I'm thinking an internal frame is the way to go, but don't know which brand. Thanks for all input.
I forgot to mention that I am average size I guess,5-8, 180lbs., if that matters with the pack size.

Edited by Lee10 (03/08/10 11:03 PM)

#130359 - 03/08/10 11:17 PM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
photonic Offline

Loc: Washington USA
The conventional wisdom is to purchase your pack last. That way you are sure everything fits.

#130361 - 03/08/10 11:48 PM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Lee10
I've finally talked my wife into backpacking so I'm starting to look at equipment. Trouble is, I don't know what I need. I have just about decided on the boots, Danner, because I've owned a pair of the Ft. Lewis boots, and I loved them. Now, the pack. We would probably not be spending more than two or three nights out. We would mostly camp in the early Spring/late Fall.
We would be carrying sleeping bags so the pack would need to accommodate that. I'm not familiar with the size capacities. I'm thinking an internal frame is the way to go, but don't know which brand. Thanks for all input.
I forgot to mention that I am average size I guess,5-8, 180lbs., if that matters with the pack size.

I still have not figured out why the pack screams out to be one of people's first purchases when they start buying gear, even though the most logical method is to purchase the pack last, in other words, purchase the pack to fit you and your gear and not the other way around.

#130363 - 03/09/10 12:08 AM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Lee and welcome,You should read the posts previous people have made asking the same question. Please add some information to your profile and tell us where you intend to go and what you intend to do in what weather. You question is written in a very "I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing" manner. Rent a pack or borrow one or put your gear in a grocery bag until you find out what the rest of your gear will be and how large of pack you need. Do not start out with a small one. Do you have any other gear? My advice is not start ot with buying gear that looks cool to have and instead conentrate on what you might actually need. By the way you can run Virtual Girl while posting here, it makes it a lot more interesting. blush
Jim

#130366 - 03/09/10 12:16 AM Re: What size pack? [Re: Jimshaw]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Hi Lee and welcome,You should read the posts previous people have made asking the same question. Please add some information to your profile and tell us where you intend to go and what you intend to do in what weather. You question is written in a very "I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing" manner. Rent a pack or borrow one or put your gear in a grocery bag until you find out what the rest of your gear will be and how large of pack you need. Do not start out with a small one. Do you have any other gear? My advice is not start ot with buying gear that looks cool to have and instead conentrate on what you might actually need. By the way you can run Virtual Girl while posting here, it makes it a lot more interesting. blush
Jim

I agree with this. So many people, myself included, spent far too much $$$ on gear that was wanted, instead of gear that was needed. So take the time, read through posts and gear lists and then make a generic gear list for yourself and then look for those items-- this way you will only purchase what you need.

#130367 - 03/09/10 12:23 AM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site. That includes packs and tips on how to fit them. For example, the key measurement for a pack is not your weight or height but your torso length, which doesn't necessarily relate to either. One of those articles will tell you how to do this key measurement. Get someone else to do it; when I tried to measure myself I came up several inches different each time!

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas and tips for gear, including low-budget alternatives.

When we think of backpacking, inevitably the pack comes to mind first. Unfortunately, you will NOT know what size you need or what kind of suspension you need (directly related to the weight you will carry in the pack) until you have the rest of your gear. In the meantime, rent or borrow, which will also get you more familiar with different packs.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/09/10 12:41 AM)

#130369 - 03/09/10 09:44 AM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
lori Offline

Everyone's giving you good tips. Renting or borrowing gives you that missing piece - what you will need to have to be happy. Packs are like clothing, they need to fit you - get something that has the right torso length and the right hip belt, and you can carry it all day. You should get your back measured and then your hips and keep those numbers handy for when you're pack shopping. Not everyone has a long torso, even the tall folks. "Medium" may be my shirt size, but "small" is generally my pack size, for example.

Shoot for a pack weight of less than a third of your body weight. Being lighter will make you happier. Look at the gear lists on the home page of this website (the forum is only part of it).

The other variable is whether you will need a bear canister. Not all packs play well with bear canisters. Look up park websites and read food storage regulations, then google on the APPROVED bear canisters for that area to find pricing for renting or buying them if the jurisdiction won't rent them to you (they often do). Many popular locations no longer let you hang food because too many people who went out there before you did it improperly and taught the bears to really look for and do anything to get those stuff sacks full of oatmeal and trail mix. This is a good thing to figure out before you get the pack because it's the pits to get everything else, get the pack that works perfectly, and then find out that last four inches you need just isn't there and the seams are going to burst... (Ask me how I know! :P)

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130372 - 03/09/10 10:02 AM Re: What size pack? [Re: lori]
Lee10 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks you for all of the replies. I didn't even know about the torso thing Lori.

#130384 - 03/09/10 05:18 PM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Lots of people want to buy the pack first for two reason:
1. Its backpacking and you can't go without one. So, they think, lets get the pack and then put everything in it.
2. How do many people pack for vacation? They get out their suitcase and then start throwing things in it. That just get transfered to backpacking.

It take thought and experience or training to reorder the process to: figure out what I am taking THEN figure out what I will put it in.

#130394 - 03/09/10 07:37 PM Re: What size pack? [Re: Lee10]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
From your post, I'm making an assumption that neither you nor your wife have done any backpacking. If that's true, and you haven't already bought it, your first piece of gear should be a good introductory (repeat: introductory) book on backpacking. I'd suggest Karen Berger's Hiking and Backpacking (A Trailside Guide) - it's not too overwhelming, and doesn't take a "Thou Shalt Go Heavy" or "Light is The Only Right" position. She discusses the main pieces of gear you need, then refers you to stores and catalogs to make the choice that's right for you.

Personally, I'd suggest you get your other gear together first, then buy your packs. My guess is that, if you tend toward lighter-weight gear and synthetic sleeping bags and insulating clothes, considering you'll be sharing tent, kitchen, and water filter, I wouldn't be surprised if your first pack wasn't about 4,000 cubic inches, and your wife's about 3,500.

If you become overwhelmed by the gear that's available, one way to shortcut it is to look at MSR's "Fast and Light" line; they make very good gear, and you can get a good idea of what features to look for. If you're looking for lower prices, a lot of REI's house-brand gear is good (though I no longer own any, preferring lighter weight choices to the dismay of my wallet.)

Come back and ask questions as you need to when you're picking your gear out. Good luck, and enjoy it.

#130885 - 03/17/10 02:14 PM Re: What size pack? [Re: Glenn]
Ambersdad Offline

Loc: Norman OK
I basically wanted to start backpacking again after a 22 year hiatus. I did day hikes as I accumulated a winter bag, pad, and tent over the last few months. Tested the stuff in campgrounds when weather was really cold so I didn't have to deal with noisy families and drunks. wink

Once I had those, I tried on a few packs at the local Backwoods for the one that fit and also had the pockets I wanted. Then bought the pack and a spring/fall bag and a liner for summer.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum