Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130039 - 03/04/10 08:09 AM packs
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
i was wondering what size (cubic inches) packs most of you use? im not an UL backpacker, i probably carry things that would make some of you shutter but i would like to lighten my load but im wondering if my 4000cu pack is too big.

#130042 - 03/04/10 08:39 AM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have about four packs in different sizes that I use depending upon the trip and circumstances. If I had just one pack, it would be right around 4000 cu in, big enough for multiday trips, but, cinched down, usable for day hikes

#130054 - 03/04/10 10:44 AM Re: packs [Re: oldranger]
Ant Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I am currently using a Golite Pinnacle 4400 cu in pack. It's a bit large for weekends but a good size for longer trips. Like oldranger said, it has the ability to be cinched down to make it smaller which is a plus.

#130055 - 03/04/10 10:59 AM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
chndlr04 Offline

Loc: spotaylvania, va
all i have is a 1500cu maxpedition pygmy falcon 2 pack and that works for me for a week, thats the longest i have gone so far.

#130056 - 03/04/10 11:06 AM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Like OldRanger I have multiple packs for different purposes, but my general go-to pack is my G4 which is 4,000cu. I could easily get away with a much smaller capacity, but I need the additional for my fly-fishing gear and at a little over 1Lb it is the one I choose even when I don't need the extra space!

#130059 - 03/04/10 12:58 PM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
For winter camping, I have a 5500 ci I believe it is and a newer 4300 ci pack that has a good fraction of that space in pockets on the outside, don't care for the outside pockets, but it works. With a canister, I can use the smaller one even for week long trips.

#130061 - 03/04/10 01:16 PM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Units of volume per units of weight, other things being equal, are greater in larger packs so I stick with my larger pack.

I like having the larger pack when unexpected things happen (e.g. having to carry a 5 gallon bucket inside the pack on a beach hike, carrying floats and ropes home which I found on the beach, carrying a friends gear because they are tired or hurt, etc.)

I also like the packing convenience of a larger pack. No need to stuff everything perfectly. Just throw it in as you would in the back of a pick-up.

#130074 - 03/04/10 03:02 PM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
lori Offline

Most of my stuff fits in about 4000 cu. Both my main packs have an extension that will accommodate a larger bear can/bag if my food supply gets bigger (only thing that will, on a multiday hike).

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130079 - 03/04/10 03:18 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Everybody needs 6 packs, take the right one for where you're going, but it should maybe have some reserve space. The larger it is the easier it is on the gear that you squeeze into it and if you have to off load someone else's pack its good to have some extra space.

#130097 - 03/04/10 05:05 PM Re: packs [Re: Jimshaw]
chndlr04 Offline

6 packs?! now thats too many.2 good packs of diff sizes would suffice

#130098 - 03/04/10 05:10 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By chndlr04

That would be the normal person's rule.

The gear head backpacker rule is different. The right number of packs is "as many as you can justify."

smile

I currently have three daypacks and two backpacks, and a 2400 cu in pack full of my SAR gear.

#130108 - 03/04/10 06:02 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
chndlr04 Offline

ok cant argue with that. im more of a military guy/minimalist. yea i know they contrast eachother. but i only buy what i truly need to survive and my equipment especially my pack must be up to or close to military grade. but ofc for food i dont buy mre i have a jetboil.

#130109 - 03/04/10 06:05 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
lori Offline

You're right, minimalist and military are usually contradictory...

I also had to smile at minimalist and jetboil in the same post. smile Not exactly the lightest stove available.

I'm curious as to what sort of specifications a pack must meet to be military grade?

#130112 - 03/04/10 06:19 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
chndlr04 Offline

yes but if you think about it for most peo the fuel, stove and pan would actually weight more than a jet boil and its the most convient for me since my pack doubles as a backpacking pack and survial pack. the bag must b 500d coudra or better

#130113 - 03/04/10 06:25 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
lori Offline

Ah, wow. That's a heavy pack fabric. But I think very similar to what my Mountainsmith (SAR) pack is made of - it's all about durability.

Most people I know fall into two camps. The Jetboil/white gas camp, where the kitchen kit weighs a few pounds, and the alcohol camp, where the pot, stove and windscreen weigh maybe five ounces, add three ounces of fuel for the weekend.

Mine is a 4 oz pot, three ounce stove/windscreen combo, and about 4 oz of fuel, as I generally like hot breakfasts and dinners.

#130118 - 03/04/10 06:40 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
chndlr04 Offline

durablity is the only way to go for me, if ita not going to last 5yrs, forget it, i wait for a month b4 i buy anything and do alot of reaearch and thinking b4 i buy anything, dont want to buy anything and throw it on a bin. yes 500d is heavy but thats why i have a maxpedition pygmy falcon 2 pack, only 3lbs fits everything i NEED with a lil extra room. its a bag thats always with me so if i wanna go camping, i dont have to pack up the stuff cux its always ready to go 24/7. but i do have to wait for my buddies to catch up.

#130123 - 03/04/10 07:49 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
chndlr04 Offline

i forgot to add. when i said minimalist i didnt mean only light for certain things i also meant the amount of things i will truly need out in the open. yes im more survival over comfort but to me thats all that counts, can i survive on this items if not chuck it

#130124 - 03/04/10 07:51 PM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
My go-to packs are generally the 50-liter model, so around 3,000 - 3,500 cubic inches. (Some "50" packs, like the Atmos, are slightly more capacity in the longer torso lengths, thus the range of capacity. Others only count the main packbag, not the side pockets or lid, which also skews comparability.)

That's plenty for three seasons - sometimes almost too much in hot weather - but in winter, if I'm going to be out for more than 1 or 2 nights, I either add extra strap-on pockets or end up having to start out with my sleeping pad and its chair kit lashed to the outside, depending on the pack. (Yep, I said chair kit. I no longer consider it a luxury to have a comfortable seat; my back relaxes better, so I sleep better.)

#130125 - 03/04/10 07:53 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

"Justify"?? I thought the REAL gearhead rule was, "as many as your spouse will let you have." grin

Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a gearaholic...

Edited by Glenn (03/04/10 07:53 PM)

#130127 - 03/04/10 08:04 PM Re: packs [Re: Glenn]
chndlr04 Offline

so true, thankfully i got everything i needed b4 i met my wife and got my hammock as a christmas present

#130130 - 03/04/10 08:29 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
I use a Osprey Atmos 65 couldnt imagine filling it, cinches down for a nice sized daypack

#130131 - 03/04/10 08:31 PM Re: packs [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Glenn
""Justify"?? I thought the REAL gearhead rule was, "as many as your spouse will let you have."

Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a gearaholic...""

Thank you Glenn. smile But a real gerarhead doesn't tell the spouse... shocked
Jim

#130141 - 03/04/10 10:12 PM Re: packs [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

But that means you have to beat her to the mailbox, to intercept the Visa bill!

#130147 - 03/04/10 10:55 PM Re: packs (New military packs) [Re: oldranger]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
SUMMER > REI Cruise UL 60 4,000 cu. in. (including 2 add-on side pockets)3 lb. 4 oz.

WINTER > a 1990 Dana Terraplane at 6,500 cu. in.!! 7+ lbs

BTW, also 2 internal frame "Day-and-a-Half" packs. each around 3,000 cu. in. W/ side pockets

#130150 - 03/04/10 11:08 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By chndlr04

Three packs just about suit my needs: The G4 is my typical 3-season, 4-5 day, backpacking/fly-fishing pack. For regular 3-season backpacking I use the ULA Conduit (53L)-- it is a little bigger than the Golite Jam and Exos 46, but at a little over 1LB, it is hard to beat-- although GG's Miniposa keeps tempting me cry

For my winter needs I prefer something a little more durable, that provides better support and Granite Gear's 62L, 3lb. 8oz Meridian Nimbus is the one I go to.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/05/10 01:40 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum