Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129652 - 02/27/10 01:28 PM solo backpacking
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
hello all,

I am not new to backpacking, ive done my share. but this summer i plan to start doing some solo trips so i am more free to go whenever i want. i was wondering if some experienced solo backpackers could give me some advice on getting started. thanks in advance.

jake

#129665 - 02/27/10 03:46 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
One thing to consider is the "heebie-jeebies." Being in the woods alone is different than being in the woods with a companion. The first time out, be prepared for reactions you didn't expect: that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach ("Did I miss the trail intersection? Shouldn't I have crossed a creek by now?"), that vague concern whispering in the back of your mind ("What if I break a leg or sprain an ankle? Should I have brought extra food in case I get lost?"), and the lying-awake-at-night ("What was that? Are there bears around here? Did I hang the food bag downwind of the tent? What was that? Will my car be OK at the trailhead? What if someone needs to contact me? What was that?")

It's extremely unlikely that any of those fears will actually materialize - just be prepared for your mind to try to play tricks on you. After you've gone out once or twice alone, this all stops. You might want to stick to a trail you know well for you first solo trip, and you might want to make it a one or two-nighter, rather than a week.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Glenn (02/27/10 03:47 PM)

#129667 - 02/27/10 04:08 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Glenn]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
Going alone is awesome, you can do and go where you want. Of course don't do stupid things like scramble, any kind of climbing. Good reads are anything by Colin Fletcher, "The Man who walked Thru Time". My best experiance was in New Mexico many years ago. In the evening got water from a creek the next morning found lion tracks at the creek, found then outside the tent also.

#129668 - 02/27/10 04:17 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

If you have some experience and know how you react on your own, then you shouldn't have *too* many issues as long as you are prepared you'll be fine. If you are going solo be sure someone knows your plans, and when you are expected to return. Do shorter trips at first to get the hang of things.

Browse my pictures

#129670 - 02/27/10 05:06 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I hate to admit how long ago I got started hiking solo, so it's a bit hard for me to recall it in any detail. blush

Glenn has already made the pertinent points about mind tricks. The less experience you have in the woods generally, the more these tricks will swarm up at you. If you have a base of knowledge and experience to fall back on, the less they will bother you, since they are almost entirely grounded in that horrid boogey: the UNKNOWN. shocked

On the flip side of this phenomenon, by hiking alone for any length of time, you will become very familiar with your own mind, and become especially good at detecting its quirks, foibles, flaws and crochets when they bubble up from your subconscious mind. It is enormously helpful to gain this self-knowledge, but it doesn't come cheap or easy. Hiking solo for a few decades has taught me what a fool I am. eek Of more value, it has taught me exactly what kind of a fool, which is kind of nice to know, really..

The other pertinent point I can add is, stay alert. This doesn't mean stay on edge, jumping at every twig snap. Just alert. Look around. Think about where you are, what you see, and how you feel. Notice problems when they are small. Notice opportunities to make mistakes and slow down before you leap. If you are not sure, double check. Get out your map at junctions. If you get a creepy feeling, figure out where it is coming from -- some of them matter, some don't.

So, to repeat, stay alert. And enjoy yourself. if it isn't fun at some level, it isn't worth doing. Good luck.

Edited by aimless (02/27/10 05:09 PM)
Edit Reason: extra thoughts

#129673 - 02/27/10 06:03 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: aimless]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
To add my $.02, and I have to agree wholeheartedly with my erstwhile compatriots, they know that of which they speak. smile Anyway I am a climber and I solo climb technical rock on solo trips backpacking a long way in without anyone knowing where I am - don't do that at first... shocked The reason I mention this is - when I am on rock alone and no one knows where I am "I AM ON", that is my complete 100% attention is paid to every single movement of my hands and feet. I have climbed all day in Yosemite without as much as a scratch and then tripped over a log in the parking lot because my guard was down. You cannot let your guard down when solo, you must focus on every move, every step, every decision. It takes concentration. When you get to camp, you still can't let your guard down, one false move like going bare foot and stepping on something sharp, abusing substances, or doing "normal crazy" things that would seem perfectly safe with another person along, are now no nos. HOWEVER you will learn so much about being self reliant and making decisions that you will become capable later of doing crazy things while alone and getting away with it.
Jim

#129677 - 02/27/10 07:11 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I mostly backpack solo. I actually find it more risky to hike with a group, because I'm really pushing my limits trying to keep up with them, including scrambling through places I would normally avoid. I also find solo hiking a lot more pleasant. However, I do try to stick to the more populated trails, so that if something should happen there will be someone coming along soon. At least that was true until I bought a Personal Locator Beacon. I still avoid risks (no difference there--an accident at my age [74] would mean a permanent end to my hiking career). However, with the PLB I will go to less populated areas and, when possible, get farther off the trail to camp. I will also do a limited amount of easy off-trail hiking. I wouldn't recommend these unless you already have a lot of off-trail navigation experience gained from working with groups. And the PLB can be used only in a life-or-death emergency, so it is no substitute for careful attention to safety, navigation or being fully prepared. Nor is it a substitute for leaving your itinerary with a trusted friend or relative and sticking to it, something that is extra important if you go out alone.

Jim, does your SO know what you're doing when you're out solo?

Edited by OregonMouse (02/27/10 07:12 PM)

#129679 - 02/27/10 08:12 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Bobc]
Glenn Offline

I agree, it is great - some of my best trips have been solo, also. But I do remember the uncertainties of my first trip (all of which vanished on the second trip.)

#129682 - 02/27/10 09:08 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Mouse
"Jim, does your SO know what you're doing when you're out solo?"

ha ha smile NO - well she may know that I'm BPing or skiing somewhere. Last week I told her I was going over to the McKenzie river, some place. Often she would only know that I'm somewhere in the Sierra, but she would have no idea what I was doing. I've never bothered to give an itinerary to anyone because the reason I go solo is because I can go anywhere I want to and change my mind.
Jim
Jim

#129690 - 02/27/10 11:43 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I kinda do like Jim, people may know where I am supposed to be, but I change plans quite a bit now, hike further, go to a different lake or not someplace at all. Good stuff happens. On off trail excursions, I do kick myself in the butt at times over why did I come this way, I could have gone on the trail and get the queasy feeling in the stomach too. Solo trips, that is how I got started and still do 80% of my trips solo.

#129693 - 02/28/10 01:00 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I solo winter camp. My only advice is know when to call it a day. I am not interested in impressing anyone with some tale of epic survival. Seems kind of pointless unless you intend to write a book or get a reality tv show. Bad weather, more than anything else, is your enemy.

I also solo bike toured and hiked in New Zealand with no bike touring experience and having not been backpacking in years. It isn't rocket science. Get some decent gear, use some common sense and you'll be fine.

I usually bring a book. It gets dark early in the winter. An MP3 player can be nice company as well. I loaded some podcasts on mine for one trip.

#129704 - 02/28/10 12:11 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By TomD

I usually bring a book.

Reading a book in my hammock at night while soloing is almost reason enough to make me go. I look forward to this part of solo trips a lot.

Browse my pictures

#129711 - 02/28/10 02:03 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

I've carried books backpacking before and found them to a be nothing but dead weight unless I needed tinder. smile Since I just ordered the gigapower torch attachment I probably will not be needing any tinder... smile smile smile An ipod weighs a lot less than a book and offers more entertainment options, but I've still not managed to take it although the earphones have appeared a couple of times in my first aid kit. Besides reading in my crazy creek chair or sitting on a log would destroy my back.I'll have to admit that since I quit smoking its a lot more boring being alone in camp.
Jim

#129712 - 02/28/10 02:32 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Wow! I eagerly looked up that gigapower torch attachment and dscovered it weighs almost 7 oz. Since I can use my pocket rocket as an inefficient torch to get a campfire started -- for zero added oz, I guess I will be standing pat.

(...disappointed that I must forego a new toy...) frown

#129713 - 02/28/10 03:11 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You've collected advice based on years of experience already so I'll talk a bit about style and ask that you consider what kind of experience you want from your solo trip.

You can already see a big difference in styles in the replies to your question. Everyone here has tailored their gear based on their style.

If you read some of Jim Shaw's previous post you'll see that he's well prepared for the style he touched on here.

OregonMouse mentioned some of the things she does and her style as well, which includes considering family members and that is an important point. Try not to leave family and close friends sitting on pins and needles the entire time you're out there.

TomD mentioned weather, which helps me bring up my style... I don't go unless the forecast is perfect. Like Tom, I don't want a "Survival" experience, perfect weather is a lot more fun wink

For me, going to sleep the first night out is always tough, and it's the only real thing I've found that is tough. This has a lot to do with enjoying the sounds in the forest at night. It's a lot easier each successive night though. By the third night I'm usually sleeping like a baby and then I have to come home frown

Going solo is a blast. I've found some cool spots roaming around alone following my only my senses and intuition. I've found springs and creeks by listening and hearing the water trickling. I've found creekbeds lined with Witch Hazel by smelling their blossoms from the ridgetops, and stumbled upon wild berries and grapes in huge quantities. I've peeked into caves on and below limestone bluffs that no one I know has ever heard of.

aimless mentioned about learning what a fool oneself really is. I think I'll be more cautious about peeking into caves and crevices from now on. A couple years ago I peeked into one and saw a bear peeking back at me. This was really stupid on my part because I'd smelled that bear's gas twice in the half hour or so before I stuck my nose in that crevice. blush

Still, I was smart enough not to waste any time putting some distance between me and that bear and learning is the fun part of doing it.

Let us know how your first solo trip goes!

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#129716 - 02/28/10 05:25 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: billstephenson]
spudnate Offline

Loc: USA
Almost all of my experience has been solo, but it has largely been day hikes and 4 or 5 day excursions where I had a vehicle close at hand. (A lot easier to set up base camp out of the back of a Jeep)

Even with this half-hearted approach, I have experienced my mind playing tricks on me, especially on the overnights. I took one day hike in which I was packed for 2 hours, but ended up being out for over 6. The main thing is to be thoroughly prepared, and don't let your guard down even if you are familiar with the area. That is how my aforementioned 2 hour hike got much longer.

#129717 - 02/28/10 05:27 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: aimless]
phat Offline

The gigapower torch attachement is I believe less important for backpacking, so much as for when you need a torch for duck pinfeathers, welding pipe and household chores, and you're a backpacker who has isopro canisters around, it makes a lot more sense than the propane one that you have to buy the big canisters for.

it's also lighter for when you're soldering copper pipe above your head wink

If I did not already own a propane torch I use for this, I'd buy it.
Browse my pictures

#129729 - 02/28/10 08:20 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

phat, aimless
Since my compressed gas stove weighs 7 ounces, I can carry the torch instead as opposed to "also" and not add any weight to my pack. I'm sure it does not require a windscreen, and for lightning camp fires here in Oregon it would be great DUAL USE. The small camp stove fuel bottles weigh a LOT less than a pure propane bottle. I hadn't thought of it for welding etc, triple use?

I'll also add that when I go solo I don't carry a lot of stuff, but each and every item is as bomb proof reliable as I can get regardless of its weight.

As far as the family thing goes - I don't have any family except my wife who believes that I'm just as safe going solo climbing/ski camping is as safe as driving to the grocery store. I don't have any kids forcing me to follow any set of rules that I imposed on them.

Jim

#129851 - 03/02/10 12:27 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
unclejoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Fantastic thread, everybody! Most of my backpacking has been solo--but on well-treaded trails. I'm simply not experienced enough with a compass or GPS yet to avoid what my brother calls a person's last 15-minutes of fame.

I, too, had the heebie-jeebies when I would first go out, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one. In our concrete worlds, I get so used to people being around that I barely notice how they're impacting me. Take it all away--wham, you really start to notice.

So, I recommend as well that a solo person should start small with a trail they know and let family know.

I also like the idea of bringing a book along to help pass the time at night, especially if it's bad weather. Me? I actually enjoy the rough weather conditions as much as perfect weather. Rough weather makes things interesting. smile

#129857 - 03/02/10 06:49 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I do find it interesting how most of us solo backpackers keep telling new folks about all the usual rules. Leave a plan, carry extra food, carry a first aid kit etc. Then we pretty much ignore the advice for ourselves. We tell our family where we will be however they do not realize that the description narrows it down to +/- 20 miles. I know that I have left my wife phone numbers on Friday night for an office I know will not be open until Monday noon. Our first aid kit consists of moleskin and band aids.

I am sure that is because we feel comfortable in the outdoors and realize that the folks back home would freak out in the same circumstances so why worry them?

Lesson to new folks: do as I say, not as I do.

#129858 - 03/02/10 08:32 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: GrumpyGord]
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
thanks for all the advice everyoneo, its really helped. i had a feeling the nights would be a little different at first. hopefully its a feeling that passes quickly. im not sure if ill bring an ipod, part of my motivation to go solo is to be completely without other people. i dont think i would be accomplishing that if i could listen to people, plus id be missing the great sound of quiet, which is impossible to find in the cities. thanks again

jake

#129864 - 03/02/10 09:32 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: GrumpyGord]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I do find it interesting how most of us solo backpackers keep telling new folks about all the usual rules. Leave a plan, carry extra food, carry a first aid kit etc. Then we pretty much ignore the advice for ourselves. We tell our family where we will be however they do not realize that the description narrows it down to +/- 20 miles. I know that I have left my wife phone numbers on Friday night for an office I know will not be open until Monday noon. Our first aid kit consists of moleskin and band aids.

I am going to disagree rather strongly with this statement. I typically hand my wife an exact description of my route, or a photocopy of a topo that goes on the fridge - yes, when I'm off trail that's not *exact* but it's more than enough to get rescue to the area I will be. I also have two hiking literate buddies on my list who always get the email as well, and my wife knows to call them for help if I am overdue or she's concerned. I also typically give her a range of expected time that I expect to return, and a time by which she needs to call for help if the worst happens. I normally give my
wife the numbers for any district ranger's office, or if
not applicable or closed, the local RCMP post. There is
*always* something open to report someone overdue.

Sometimes I tell her I will be in one of two or three places - if I'm going somewhere where I'll make a decision based on conditions. If so, I try to let her know by sms or cell if
possible before starting, but sometimes that's not possible. Who cares? a list of 2 or 3 possible trips is *much* better than "somewhere out in the mountains".

My "first aid kit" is not "moleskin and bandaids" it's all that, 4x4 gauze, some painkillers, trekking poles, duct tape, Tshirts, cord, line, swiss army knife, and a Personal Locator Beacon. Anyone who thinks they can carry an immense first aid kit and do self surgery on battlefield wounds while solo, or will need to, is frankly, delusional. My first aid kit has everything in it to deal with any sort of injury I hope to be competent to treat myself in the field and there is NO POINT in carrying stuff that an emergency room physician or paramedic might be able to use but not me (especially on myself, while hurt) Carry the weight of a PLB instead.

So while I see a few of you saying you don't do this, and you all have your reasons personally be they general irascability or the thought that leaving info for loved ones puts a cramp on your style, I don't agree with it - and sanctioning it in a beginners forum is quite simply, irresponsible.
Browse my pictures

#129878 - 03/02/10 11:08 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Great post, Phat!

Although I do occasionally carry things that I wouldn't use on myself---but might use to help someone else!

PW

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#129883 - 03/02/10 12:06 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The "official" word on solo trips is always - dangerous, no room for error, can't advise you do this.

And then we all turn around and do it. But the precautions mentioned can make it a lot safer. The advent of the PLB can potentially help.

The attractions and rewards of a solo trip are worth the risk.

#129884 - 03/02/10 12:06 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: balzaccom]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Great post, Phat!

Agreed.
you can leave right now.

#129891 - 03/02/10 01:48 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
MeByNature Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
My most memorable trip was a solo trip. I was witness to more wildlife than anytime I was with a group and I met some very cool people. My only advice would be to be well educated on the area you will be hiking. Not just the terrain, but the wildlife in that area as well as any "interesting" hazards.

#129895 - 03/02/10 03:05 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: MeByNature]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
There is a way to have the best of both solo and group hiking, but I would not recommend it.

I started a trip with two friends, learning that I still suffered from a bum ankle acquired on an earlier excursion. I could do th hike, but I traveled at a very slow pace. I had to get up early, get going, and hike slowly and steadily to keep up with my friends. So I was hiking alone most of the time, and quietly, much slower than my usual pace. I, too, had a wildlife bonanza.

#129904 - 03/02/10 06:07 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

I agree, Phat - I do pretty much the same routine for my wife (sans the hiking-literate buddy; only one left these days, and he's usually with me.) She might not understand it all, but the itinerary and a highlighted map I leave her can be faxed to the appropriate agency to really narrow down search areas.

I had let my first-aid kit dwindle over the last few years, but recently gave it a few more ounces of muscle (and replaced the meds and creams that had expired in 2006.) I'm like you, though; mostly, I carry only what I can use on myself in whatever condition I'm in - though I did add a couple of things for helping some other solo hiker I happen to stumble across.

#129905 - 03/02/10 06:16 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I do the same, except I email the map, forest ranger #'s, itinerary, etc... to my wife. Even if I am going off trail, I still already know my general route. A to B via C.

#129908 - 03/02/10 06:46 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

If I may edit this a 3rd time. It seemed to me that a lot of the people responding were talking about "advanced" solo backpacking and their own habits based on experience and maybe it wasn't a real good place to get into this on the beginners forum.

There certainly are places for beginners to solo backpack, especially if they stay on the trail.

There are more places where quite a bit of experience is required to solo backpack. I don't want beginners to think that just taking off cross country without all of the skills required is a good idea. And for those of us who do take off cross country, we need to talk about in a different forum.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/10 10:39 PM)

#129912 - 03/02/10 07:25 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

[Jim, I messed up and accidentally "edited" your post when replying to it. ARGH. if you have the old one please repaste or PM it to me and I'll fix it..

My reply:

I think we disagree here. I think everybody has to start someplace. Yes, it's best if solo is not your *first* trip, but solo is very feasable for a relative newcomer, or "backcountry beginner" in the right setting.

Put it this way, with appropriate precautions (what I've previously mentioned) I'd have no trouble with my conscience sending a newbie who has spent a few trail nights to understand their gear, weather, and how to not walk off the trail and get lost down and established trail in the rockies, like for example, skyline in jasper. it's 3 days, there are others on it, its' fun, and very doable by a soloer with little risk.

Would I send them into say, route finding through chown valley, or limestone lakes? heck no. But there are appropriate places for newcomers to take solo trips as long as they understand the risks and how to mitigate them by not doing anything really stupid. In that context the biggest danger to your health in solo backpacking is driving there. In the end it's just walking.
Browse my pictures

#129939 - 03/03/10 01:49 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: oldranger]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By oldranger
The "official" word on solo trips is always - dangerous, no room for error, can't advise you do this.

And then we all turn around and do it. But the precautions mentioned can make it a lot safer. The advent of the PLB can potentially help.

The attractions and rewards of a solo trip are worth the risk.

Actually, I don't claim soloing is particularly dangerous and in spite of all our warnings, there is room for error. My last trip is an example of that. It is more about knowing what you can or can't do. You can be two miles from a trailhead and it will feel like the most remote place on earth if you are alone. It is a unique experience and not for everyone. Having a companion can be a great comfort or an annoying burden. Depends on who they are.

Being with some people could be more dangerous than being alone. The only time I got hurt in years of scuba diving was when I was with someone I knew I never should have gone diving with. Fortunately, he did help me get out of the sticky situation he got us into without too much damage. The lesson there is to go with people you know and trust and don't let anyone talk you into something you know seems sketchy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum