Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129891 - 03/02/10 01:48 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jake28]
MeByNature Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
My most memorable trip was a solo trip. I was witness to more wildlife than anytime I was with a group and I met some very cool people. My only advice would be to be well educated on the area you will be hiking. Not just the terrain, but the wildlife in that area as well as any "interesting" hazards.

#129895 - 03/02/10 03:05 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: MeByNature]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
There is a way to have the best of both solo and group hiking, but I would not recommend it.

I started a trip with two friends, learning that I still suffered from a bum ankle acquired on an earlier excursion. I could do th hike, but I traveled at a very slow pace. I had to get up early, get going, and hike slowly and steadily to keep up with my friends. So I was hiking alone most of the time, and quietly, much slower than my usual pace. I, too, had a wildlife bonanza.

#129904 - 03/02/10 06:07 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree, Phat - I do pretty much the same routine for my wife (sans the hiking-literate buddy; only one left these days, and he's usually with me.) She might not understand it all, but the itinerary and a highlighted map I leave her can be faxed to the appropriate agency to really narrow down search areas.

I had let my first-aid kit dwindle over the last few years, but recently gave it a few more ounces of muscle (and replaced the meds and creams that had expired in 2006.) I'm like you, though; mostly, I carry only what I can use on myself in whatever condition I'm in - though I did add a couple of things for helping some other solo hiker I happen to stumble across.

#129905 - 03/02/10 06:16 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I do the same, except I email the map, forest ranger #'s, itinerary, etc... to my wife. Even if I am going off trail, I still already know my general route. A to B via C.

#129908 - 03/02/10 06:46 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
If I may edit this a 3rd time. It seemed to me that a lot of the people responding were talking about "advanced" solo backpacking and their own habits based on experience and maybe it wasn't a real good place to get into this on the beginners forum.

There certainly are places for beginners to solo backpack, especially if they stay on the trail.

There are more places where quite a bit of experience is required to solo backpack. I don't want beginners to think that just taking off cross country without all of the skills required is a good idea. And for those of us who do take off cross country, we need to talk about in a different forum.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/10 10:39 PM)

#129912 - 03/02/10 07:25 PM Re: solo backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

[Jim, I messed up and accidentally "edited" your post when replying to it. ARGH. if you have the old one please repaste or PM it to me and I'll fix it..

My reply:

I think we disagree here. I think everybody has to start someplace. Yes, it's best if solo is not your *first* trip, but solo is very feasable for a relative newcomer, or "backcountry beginner" in the right setting.

Put it this way, with appropriate precautions (what I've previously mentioned) I'd have no trouble with my conscience sending a newbie who has spent a few trail nights to understand their gear, weather, and how to not walk off the trail and get lost down and established trail in the rockies, like for example, skyline in jasper. it's 3 days, there are others on it, its' fun, and very doable by a soloer with little risk.

Would I send them into say, route finding through chown valley, or limestone lakes? heck no. But there are appropriate places for newcomers to take solo trips as long as they understand the risks and how to mitigate them by not doing anything really stupid. In that context the biggest danger to your health in solo backpacking is driving there. In the end it's just walking.
Browse my pictures

#129939 - 03/03/10 01:49 AM Re: solo backpacking [Re: oldranger]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By oldranger
The "official" word on solo trips is always - dangerous, no room for error, can't advise you do this.

And then we all turn around and do it. But the precautions mentioned can make it a lot safer. The advent of the PLB can potentially help.

The attractions and rewards of a solo trip are worth the risk.

Actually, I don't claim soloing is particularly dangerous and in spite of all our warnings, there is room for error. My last trip is an example of that. It is more about knowing what you can or can't do. You can be two miles from a trailhead and it will feel like the most remote place on earth if you are alone. It is a unique experience and not for everyone. Having a companion can be a great comfort or an annoying burden. Depends on who they are.

Being with some people could be more dangerous than being alone. The only time I got hurt in years of scuba diving was when I was with someone I knew I never should have gone diving with. Fortunately, he did help me get out of the sticky situation he got us into without too much damage. The lesson there is to go with people you know and trust and don't let anyone talk you into something you know seems sketchy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum