Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129140 - 02/19/10 10:46 AM Titanium mess Kit
AKLoganTX Offline

Loc: Texas
Forgive me if there are similar posts of this type as i am new and this is my first post.
I have been using my wife's girl scout mess kit for nearly 3 years now while camping. It is just like the open country individual 5peice mess kit. The only difference is that mine has a girl scouts emblem on it. (which can be rather embarrassing and definitely makes for some good conversation)

I have been looking for a similar kit that is made of titanium but have yet to find one like this.
If any of you have any suggestions on a similar product I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

[img]http://http://www.opencountrycampware.com/category_fbd677dca775/product_7a8dfde3bbe7/large_view/session_25cd7423df7b/[/img]

#129143 - 02/19/10 11:03 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
For that kind of application, titanium is over rated. Just think, how long has your present aluminum kit lasted? The titanium will not be significantly lighter, but will be significantly more expensive.

I would explain the logo by pointing out that I became a girl scout when I turned sixteen.

If you go the route of a one item does all (pot, plate, mug) cook kit, then something like a Snow Peak 700, or similar, makes sense.

#129145 - 02/19/10 11:14 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: oldranger]
AKLoganTX Offline

I guess i should have stated why I would perfer a titanium model.
I would like the titanium for the ease of cleaning and whatever weight savings that may come with it. However little they may be.

The reason I like this set so much is because it holds itself together and dose not need a bag and i like the frying pan part of it as i sometimes like to make pancakes or fry some fish if i happen to catch some.

As far as the mug part i don't use it at all.
I have taken it out and inside the pot i place my alcohol stove and wind screen winch is also my pot stand, that I am quite proud of.
I took a piece of aircraft aluminum just tall enough to fit inside the pot with the lid on and rolled it to match the shape of the pot, then i drilled holes at the bottom so than my stove can breath. I then riveted some small angle pieces about 1/4" down inside the screen for the pot stand.
Hopefully i will be able to get a picture up soon.

#129147 - 02/19/10 11:39 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By AKLoganTX
I guess i should have stated why I would perfer a titanium model.
I would like the titanium for the ease of cleaning and whatever weight savings that may come with it. However little they may be.

The reason I like this set so much is because it holds itself together and dose not need a bag and i like the frying pan part of it as i sometimes like to make pancakes or fry some fish if i happen to catch some.

As far as the mug part i don't use it at all.
I have taken it out and inside the pot i place my alcohol stove and wind screen winch is also my pot stand, that I am quite proud of.

If you really enjoy making pancakes and frying fish etc then I wouldn't waste my time looking for a titanium version of this mess kit, since this metal is such a poor conductor of heat and is not really suited for any type of gourmet cooking. Now that is not to say that it cannot be done, it just takes practice and constant attention. Personally, I use a titanium cookpot and when I fly-fish and fires are not permitted then I will just throw in an actual frying-pan that I picked up from the dollar store and took the handles off of.

This whole system weighs in at a little under 20oz. This includes the pot, fry pan, pan gripper, stove, windscreen, 2 utensils, bandana, lighter and Ti mug.

If I went solo then I could get this much lighter by leaving the mug and extra utensil at home and switching out the canister stove with my alcohol stove.

I feel this gets the best of both worlds; light Ti pots with a good, durable frying pan. This is also great because I am able to switch out items as needed and if something needs replacing then I don't need a whole new kit.

Edited by ChrisFol (02/19/10 01:08 PM)

#129150 - 02/19/10 12:50 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
oldranger Offline

I would recommend my favorite - a mini Trangia cookset (model 28, I believe). It has a nice, albeit small, non stick pan/lid, lid lifter, as well as a very efficient, fairly wide, pot with a capacity of about 750 ml - great for one person or maybe two. The lid locks on securely and you have a nice, self-contained package which also holds a lighter and tea bags, etc. It is usually sold with a Trangia stove and windscreen. I also use mine with a Pocket Rocket.

It really interests me that you don't see clearly labeled weights on aluminum vs titanium. I strongly suspect that for equivalent thickness, ti is no lighter than al, and does not conduct heat as well.

Ti is superb in some applications (I have ti spoons which are absolutely great), but most of what is sold is just marketing hype and bling. Either ti or al in uncoated versions clean up about the same.

#129154 - 02/19/10 02:18 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: oldranger]
AKLoganTX Offline

Thank you, I am really interested in the Triangia cook set you have recommended.
As far as weight differences between titanium and aluminum.
I compared the Snow Peak trek 900 in aluminum and titanium. The titanium cam in at 6.2oz and the aluminum cam in at 9.2 oz.
Not a huge difference but every ounce counts right?

Also it is said that Titanium has the ability to self sterilize in the sun if it is high enough quality titanium. At first i did not believe this claim but after seeing it stated several different places I'm beginning to doubt my original assumption.

I also have a titanium spork and I thoroughly enjoy it. as i often camp in the desert the ability to clean an object with the minimal amount of water usage is a must.

#129155 - 02/19/10 03:23 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
Ken the Bear Offline

Loc: St Louis
Many moons ago I regularly used my snowpeak giga and msr titan. The pot looked the same and had the same shape after many many many uses. Some of the aluma stuff I had(not anodized) got dented just from sitting in my pack. PLUS, titanium is just cool.

#129158 - 02/19/10 04:30 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Ken the Bear]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
if you like that trangia set up go out build a popcan stove and a can of beans. look at this set up its essentially the same deal. PS it doesnt always look this beat up it was used for the entire length of the AT http://www.trailquest.net/BRcookset.html

#129160 - 02/19/10 04:44 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: oldranger]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I strongly suspect that for equivalent thickness, ti is no lighter than al, and does not conduct heat as well.

Titanium has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal, however it is about 60% heavier than aluminium. But because of it's strength it can and usually is shaped a lot thinner than the Al equivalent. Hence the lighter weight.
It is totally non toxic and inert so it does not react to acid food (tomatoes...) like Al.
As noted it isn't ideal for cooking, much better suited for boiling.
Franco
BTW, what we use is a Ti alloy, that is Ti with some Al...

#129161 - 02/19/10 04:46 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Boomer]
AKLoganTX Offline

Originally Posted By Ken the Bear
PLUS, titanium is just cool.

Agreed

Originally Posted By Boomer
if you like that trangia set up go out build a popcan stove and a can of beans. look at this set up its essentially the same deal. PS it doesnt always look this beat up it was used for the entire length of the AT http://www.trailquest.net/BRcookset.html

I was refering to the Triangia pot and pan.
As for a stove I use the Vargo Triad XE stove.
My obsession with titanium seems to be showing itself. lol

#129165 - 02/19/10 06:14 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
Franco Offline

BTW, about the largest Ti selection is offered by Snow Peak
http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cookware/titanium.html

Franco

#129166 - 02/19/10 06:39 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Franco]
ChrisFol Offline

Anti-Gravity Gear also has a nice selection.

http://antigravitygear.com/categories.php?cat=115

#129172 - 02/19/10 07:27 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
i can see that

#129175 - 02/19/10 08:39 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Franco]
oldranger Offline

Thanks! I figures somebody with a physics background would come up with some solid figures.

Can you comment about the presumably better ability of aluminum to conduct heat vis-a-vis titanium? Does it lead to any real world difference?

#129177 - 02/19/10 10:19 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: oldranger]
Franco Offline

Oldranger,
I am a gear nerd, no scientific background of any sort here...
Yes aluminium does conduct heat a lot better than Ti, and that is in practice (less likely to scorch your food because of the more even heat distribution) not just in theory.
However there is one popular misconception about this, and that is "aluminium boils faster than Ti". In theory yes, in practice , using similar shaped/sized pots, it is the other way around. And that has to do with the thickness of the pot.
Franco

#129181 - 02/19/10 10:59 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Franco]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
There are actually two figures of merit, one is conductivity, the other one is specific heat (the amount of heat required to raise one gram of the material one degree centigrade) [aluminum holds more heat]. The equations for conductivity require dividing the conductivity quotient by the thickness of the metal and the thinness of Titanium cookware more than makes up for its lower conductivity quotient, however its the thickness [per the same weight]and the higher specific heat of Aluminum that makes it "cook" better because the heat is diffused in it more, making for fewer hot spots, especially with the extremely tiny burners on ultralight stoves.
Heat actually goes through titanium pans very quickly, and a titanium pan of water set on snow will cool far more quickly than an equal amount of hot water in a similarly sized aluminum or stainless steel pan. This is why you burn your food in titanium, even though people say "It doesn't conduct heat as well" which is wrong for the reasons I stated.
All outdoor cooking requires constant attention and often the pan must be held in your hand rather than being set on the stove. I was waving my Titanium pan back and forth over the stove last night as I was reheating spaghetti and I still burned it a bit, aluminum would have done a better job, but only with similar attention. I have all titanium, but probably aluminum makes better cookware. I have a titanium skillet and it works for me.
Jim

#129220 - 02/21/10 09:37 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Jimshaw]
AKLoganTX Offline

It would seem that the problem of burnig your food could be helped by using a less intense stove and one with a more evenly dispersed flame pattern.

#129226 - 02/21/10 10:46 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By AKLoganTX
It would seem that the problem of burnig your food could be helped by using a less intense stove and one with a more evenly dispersed flame pattern.

If you are cooking something more delicate (pancakes etc) then you can also hold the Ti pan a few inches above the flame. It will take time to get it just right, but it saves replacing your entire system.

#129230 - 02/21/10 11:35 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: ChrisFol]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

The AntiGravityGear stuff is light and relatively inexpensive. I've used it for a long time.

This isn't to say don't get TI stuff - there are good light TI sets out there - but there is also aluminum stuff that is just as light.

In the end, you'll save a lot more weight in reducing/minimizing your cooking kit than you will buying higher tech cooking kit.

Browse my pictures

#129233 - 02/21/10 11:47 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: phat]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By phat

The AntiGravityGear stuff is light and relatively inexpensive. I've used it for a long time.

This isn't to say don't get TI stuff - there are good light TI sets out there - but there is also aluminum stuff that is just as light.

In the end, you'll save a lot more weight in reducing/minimizing your cooking kit than you will buying higher tech cooking kit.

I agree. I love AGG's 3 cup cook pot and for only $10 it weighs 3.8oz, which is both cheaper and lighter than my Snow Peak Ti 700! So as mentioned, if weight and cost are your major concerns then aluminum can save you just as much weight.

However, the best and most cost effective way to save weight is to leave stuff at home! It costs you nothing to leave an unneeded item out of your pack.

#129486 - 02/24/10 11:30 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: AKLoganTX]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I just ordered this modern day mess kit. When I want to go really light my "mess kit" is just a Ti mug for boiling water, eating and drinking. But when I want luxury I will reach for this. That hardened aluminum is da bomb.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#129509 - 02/25/10 05:29 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Franco]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By Franco
Titanium has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal, however it is about 60% heavier than aluminium. But because of it's strength it can and usually is shaped a lot thinner than the Al equivalent. Hence the lighter weight.

This thinness would probably explain why George of end2endtrailsupply was able to boil water faster with a titanium pot than an aluminum pot.

I want to see how fast a titanium pot cools down. I know the titanium exhaust on my car never seems to be hot when I touch it. I really wanted to see if that'd still be true with titanium headers, but those went out of production before I could afford them.

#129516 - 02/25/10 08:04 PM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Eugene]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Eugene said
"I want to see how fast a titanium pot cools down."

I have identical pans (same size, bth by evernew) in stainless steel and titanium. Pouring the same amount of hot water in each while sitting on snow, the water in the titanium cools much more quickly. ???? I'm just reporting my observations,maybe the titanium is thinner.

#129550 - 02/26/10 08:45 AM Re: Titanium mess Kit [Re: Eugene]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Don't really notice about the pot cooling very fast, but my home made titanium caldera cone gets cool so quickly when the stove is off that I can handle it when "sliding" the pot out.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum