Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119550 - 08/18/09 11:25 PM Cooking clean-up
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Seemed appropriate for this forum. A friend at work inherited a small garage/service station with a paint booth when his father died. He doesn't run it as a business, but tinkers around with neighbors and friend's cars. I was walking by last week as he was talking to someone else about the garage and I circled back to listen. They were talking about sandblasting media.

I talked him out of a baggie full and took it camping last weekend. It was crushed walnut shells. I let my Ti pot dry and used a palmful and a small washcloth to scrub out the food residue. It worked great. I have read about using sand or small gravel to clean pots but dry, clean sand or gravel is not something you find laying around out here. I never thought about packing my own in.

Bad? part is, it costs $30 for a 15-pound bag. That's enough for two lifetimes. I'm going to check the next Cabela's catalog for abrasive media that they sell for polishing cartridge cases for reloading ammunition. It should be a smaller quantity and hopefully cheaper.

Best! part was that I did not have to tap into the water supply to wash up. And infinitely biodegradable. Bonus!

He also has crushed corncob; I thought it was too soft. Might be all right for the coated cookware though. For your consideration...

#119552 - 08/19/09 09:33 AM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Most of the polishing compounds that I am familiar with contain more than just crushed walnut shells or corn cobs. Most of them contain at the least a compound called jewelers rouge and some of them other polishing facilitators as well. I don't know the chemistry of these additives but I suspect that they are not benign. I do know that they leave a residue on the polished surface. Plain soil seems a safer pot cleaner to me. I would use these compounds cautiously if at all.

#119569 - 08/19/09 05:03 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Andy

There are sponges with an abrasive surface on one side. They weigh a lot less than sand and are designed for doing dishes and don't weigh much.
Jim YMMV

#119575 - 08/19/09 06:13 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
lori Offline

Trim down a scrubby designed for nonstick cookware to a square inch. One scrubby will make a few of these, for less than a dollar at the dollar store.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119580 - 08/19/09 07:31 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: lori]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Yep, cut one in 1/4's.

Even better? I actually found a sponge at Wal-Mart in the camping section that is preloaded with camp suds, where you rip a section off. It is prescored and everything. For those who like a little woods friendly soap it is something to look into (or for car camping). It was under $2 if I remember...

#119598 - 08/20/09 10:58 AM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: sarbar]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
On the other hand, my internet friends like above taught me that I can eat very well and not do any 'cooking clean-up'...'cept for spoon lickin'. smile

FB

#119615 - 08/20/09 04:51 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Fiddleback]
sarbar Offline

Originally Posted By Fiddleback
On the other hand, my internet friends like above taught me that I can eat very well and not do any 'cooking clean-up'...'cept for spoon lickin'. smile

FB

Oh yes indeedy-do! grin grin FBC!

#119682 - 08/21/09 10:03 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: sarbar]
Andy Offline

Kids don't do so hot, eating out of bags. Need something little more durable, little less spilly, little less hole-pokey-leaky.

Pika - MSDS sheet for this particular brand lists milled walnut shells with no additives; also listed as a pet-food filler and natural cosmetic additive (exfoliant), among other things. Also finding many similiar items made from milled fruit pits.

Jimshaw - I have not found any scrubbies for dry use with no water, if you have a particular brand to recommend I will happily try it.

Rubbing soil into your cooking gear is just begging for ringworm.

#119683 - 08/21/09 10:40 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
sarbar Offline

Long handled spoon. No pokies.

#119697 - 08/22/09 03:27 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
When you are packing their packs instead of packing ditty bags or whatever you put their stuff in, you can replace them with a medium sized plastic bowl and put stuff like clothes and other things inside the bowl (so that it does not take up any additional space) and it also should not add much weight to their packs either. Just a thought to help with your pokey holeys...sabre11004... goodjob goodjob goodjob

#119698 - 08/22/09 03:31 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

Hey, Jimshaw, that's a great thought. Light, small, and what??? Made to do dishes. I think that I like that idea...sabre11004 goodjob

#119770 - 08/23/09 08:37 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: sabre11004]
Andy Offline

I guess my whole thing, and this got a little sidetracked, was cleaning up with no water.

#119799 - 08/24/09 11:20 AM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
sabre11004 Offline

I don't know about you, but I think that if I have "no" water, I would be at least a little concerned. With that being said, I think that I am going to, from this day forward, use a diet of totally dehydrated food and only boil water when I am on the trail for more than a couple of days. This avoids any kind of clean up being necessary except for maybe wiping out my "Heinie" pot with a paper towel or whatever I have.. I think I will leave the gourmet cooking to car camping with the exception of maybe a special occasion...sabre11004 awesome awesome

#119819 - 08/24/09 08:31 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: sabre11004]
Andy Offline

Be sure to take your two kids along with you, and see how much you enjoy lugging the extra water.

http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117697#Post117697

And yes, Ohio was hammered yet again for Atrazine in surface water and some municipal supplies. Any reason why I would want my kids to drink it? Or, wash dishes with it?

Edited by Andy (08/24/09 08:34 PM)

#119834 - 08/24/09 11:39 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
with my kids, ee use plastic containers with lids - the ones we use at home for leftovers. When done eating, pour in some warm water, put the lid on, swirl around, pour out and there you go.

#119836 - 08/24/09 11:57 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
sarbar Offline

I don't worry about the water where my son and I hike 99% of the time - only in one small area do I pack in water - and we go there in winter so it isn't an issue. Everywhere else the water is cleaner than at home.
On filtering I rarely do that either these days, I use MicroPur tablets.

#119851 - 08/25/09 12:19 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: sarbar]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My son doesn't like eating cooked meals when hiking. He likes bars. Since my goal is for him to enjoy the trip, I only give him food he likes. So, I cook for myself, and he eats no-cook.

#119924 - 08/26/09 05:04 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Sounds like your needs are the same as anyone hiking in a desert with no water.

With proper meal planning, experience and practice very little of your total water consumption should go to washing dishes. We're talking ounces. And when the water has done its job you can dump it instead of carrying it out like the media.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#120030 - 08/28/09 04:40 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
My favorite method is my tea (or coffee) bag. Something about the residual tea seems effective in removing anything I'm worried about(usually a little bit of grease). But since the next thing I'm going to do with the pot is boil water, I don't worry too much...mostly aesthetics and keeping the pot bag clean.

#129474 - 02/24/10 09:28 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: JPete]
Jimshaw Offline

After camping above tree line in glaciated country for 40 years I now in Oregon, land of pine trees and moss. There was no sand on the McKenzie river to clean my pot with! I'm gonna start carrying a small pice of kitchen scratchy sponge.
Jim

#129475 - 02/24/10 09:34 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I'm gonna start carrying a small pice of kitchen scratchy sponge.
Jim

Take one of those red plastic mesh bags onions come in. put your pots inside it and use it to carry your cooking crap. now wad it up it makes a dandy scrubby.. there - dual use.

Browse my pictures

#129479 - 02/24/10 10:06 PM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

phat,
good idea but I don't need a bag to put my pan in. Is it still dual use if you don't need both uses? Besides wouldn't it get food smell on it and them onto the gear in my pack? Still a great suggestion though... Actually I use those expanded plastic grocery bags whenever I need a bag.
Jim

#129488 - 02/25/10 12:13 AM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It's just plastic wire- not a sponge. I don't figure it's gonna hold any more odor than your scrubbed pan will.
Browse my pictures

#129494 - 02/25/10 04:24 AM Re: Cooking clean-up [Re: Andy]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I just use a very small piece of one of those green scratchy, scrubby things for cleaning pots and pans. But I do use a smidgen of agua.

-Skippy

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum