Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129430 - 02/24/10 10:34 AM Something like this for a first setup?
IamClovis Offline

Loc: New Mexico
So here is the skinny,

I grew up in Michigan fishing lakes and rivers my entire life, however fly fishing was something that I never really took part in, unless it was goofing around on my neighbors dock with his rod.

I have recently relocated to New Mexico, which i'm told has excellent fishing and hiking.(two of my biggest passions).

That being said, i'm very interested in going out on a 2-3 day hike into the mountains around Taos, NM this spring/summer and I need a compact fly setup. I saw this at cabelas a while back and was wondering if it was a good way to go. (Price is somewhat of a factor).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...Cat=catrtflyfsh

Thanks.

#129431 - 02/24/10 10:38 AM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Probably not bad, but take a look elsewhere at cabales - cabalas has lightweight 7 piece rods that will be easier to backpack with.

also be sure what type of fishing you're intending on doing. A lot of mountain streams don't require a lot of long casts to fish well, just a lot of careful flip and dip.
Browse my pictures

#129432 - 02/24/10 10:45 AM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: phat]
IamClovis Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Probably not bad, but take a look elsewhere at cabales - cabalas has lightweight 7 piece rods that will be easier to backpack with.

also be sure what type of fishing you're intending on doing. A lot of mountain streams don't require a lot of long casts to fish well, just a lot of careful flip and dip.

Yea I have a few options for locations from what I hear from some of the guys at work, its gonna be one of those situations where I wont really know untill I get there tho

#129448 - 02/24/10 12:31 PM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
Go to google and enter Tenkara. I used to love fishing and hiking in NM. The Jemez mts, Snow Lake down near Silver City, the Bosque near Albu, all were awesome.

#129453 - 02/24/10 03:20 PM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: Bobc]
IamClovis Offline

Originally Posted By Bobc
Go to google and enter Tenkara. I used to love fishing and hiking in NM. The Jemez mts, Snow Lake down near Silver City, the Bosque near Albu, all were awesome.

Thats a totally new concept for me Bobc, thanks. The rods look pretty pricey tho, do you think that it would be a better option than the pole listed in the link above?

#129478 - 02/24/10 09:38 PM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It *REALLY* depends on the kind of fishing you are doing.

Browse my pictures

#133104 - 05/02/10 11:01 AM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
If you're fishing streams, Tenkara is the way to go for backpacking IMHO. By not having to use a reel and heavy rod tube, you save a lot of weight. But if you need to boom out long casts on lakes you would probably want a conventional fly rod. What type of fishing are you doing?

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#134958 - 06/10/10 02:21 PM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
i use a colapsable 12' 3pc fiberglass cane rod sold at wallmart for 12 bucks as a tenkara rod and it works fine i use 12 foot of braided waxd hempline(also sold @ wm) as the fly line and a reg 6-9 foot peice of mono as the tippit/leader material shoter thiker mono for heavey flys and longer thinner mono for lighter flys i generaly use 8ft 4ld test as a general duty leader/tippit (note: fishing is not about the gear as much the insight time and enthusiasm u put in to it.)that being sed i typically out fish freinds of mine "with this 15 dollar set up" that carry seven to a thousand dollrs a gear around with them and they just dont get it its more a bout the stalk aka knowing what kind of habbitats the fish are more likeky to be in and finding these places and the presentation putting something in front of a HUNGRY fish that resembles food in a manner that doesnt scare the fish its really that simple. GOOD LUCK
ps.. above all else unless your starving to death just enjoy yourself

Edited by Samoset (06/11/10 02:40 PM)

#134962 - 06/10/10 03:16 PM Re: Something like this for a first setup? [Re: IamClovis]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
pretty good video explaining an excellant backpacking kit using Tenkara. Really makes me want to drop some $$ and give it a go simply looking at the kit he brings.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tenkara.html

Anyone know of a place to buy/order Tenkara products?

Edited by Narf (06/10/10 03:28 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum