Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129363 - 02/23/10 10:18 AM Long Haul? Food For A Month?
TomFenton Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi, UAE
I am new to Backpacking/hiking/camping but am planing a trip across Canada (see The Canada Experience)
I'm wondering if its possible to put a months worth of food in your pack with everything else that you need to survive.
What is the most food you have put into a pack? and how long did it last you?

#129369 - 02/23/10 11:11 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: TomFenton]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have carried as much as three weeks worth at just about 2 pounds per day (44 pounds total). On this particular trip I was carrying about 15 pounds of gear so my starting weight was just about 60 pounds. This was for an extended trip in the High Sierra with temps to freezing and, I was a constantly hungry teenager.

If you don't mind a starting weight of about 75 pounds, you can carry a month's worth of food as long as your gear is near the above weight. Or, you can start with some body fat and cut down on the daily ration.

Personally, I would arrange for resupply stops at whatever intervals are possible.

#129371 - 02/23/10 12:53 PM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: TomFenton]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
You'll need a way to secure your food every night from big critters. My neighbor used to go in the Sierra a month at a time with olive oil and pasta, had to carry a lot of weight with the old gear.

#129374 - 02/23/10 02:04 PM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: TomFenton]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
A month's worth is just possible -- under nearly ideal conditions.

How much food weight you'd need to carry would depend a lot on factors like your own weight (smaller people need fewer calories than big people), your body fat reserves, how far you intend to hike in a day and how much elevation change is involved.

A middling estimate would be in the neighborhood of 3300 calories per day - and you still might lose a chunk of weight at that rate. It would be quite difficult to attain a varied diet of 3300 calories in less than 1.75 lbs. a day. (Granted, you could drink pure olive oil and get by on less weight, but no one sane would try.) That would come to 52.5 lbs for 30 days. And that is a low-ish estimate.

Carrying that kind of weight would force you to use a rather huge and heavy pack. Right there you are pushing hard against 60 lbs. before you put a single piece of gear in your pack.

For all I know, you are an infantryman used to a 90 lb field pack and all this would seem like child's play to you. In which case, you would fit that "ideal" condition well enough I'd say, go for it. Otherwise, I would council you to figure out a way to resupply at the two week mark and cut your food burden into two equal halves.

Happy hiking!

Added later: I see you are contemplating making this trip in winter in Canada. In which case, 3300 calories a day is definitely too low for a long distance hike. PCT thru-hikers who often are carrying less than 25 lbs in summer conditions can easily eat 5000 calories a day by the end of their hike.

Edited by aimless (02/23/10 03:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional remark.

#129396 - 02/23/10 10:57 PM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: aimless]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"I see you are contemplating making this trip in winter in Canada. In which case, 3300 calories a day is definitely too low for a long distance hike. PCT thru-hikers who often are carrying less than 25 lbs in summer conditions can easily eat 5000 calories a day by the end of their hike."

I can personally attest to that latter statement, and depending on the condition you start out in, at some point you'll have burned off enough body fat that your metabolism will climb and you'll definitely want (a lot) more calories than you need when starting out.

But a winter trip in Canada potentially changes a key factor here --- I've not looked into the details of your trip, but is pulling a pulk (sled of some sort) an option? If so, then you could be a bit more relaxed about weight restrictions if most of the load wasn't on your back/hips ... ?

#129399 - 02/23/10 11:17 PM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

He's lookng at doing the trans-canada trail which is somewhat urban, it's not a pulk trip. Of course there are long distances without towns.

While yes, you need to worry about calories, on many sections of the trans-canada trail, you will be able to go through towns and stop for a big pig-out. This helps.

I think you'll probably not want to carry a month's food unless you really really have to - and depending what route you're taking, up in the far north you will have to be worried about bears and critters.

Breaking it up into carrying two weeks food at a time would probably help you a very great deal - this may mean finding a couple of places where someone could meet you with a resupply on a long stretch, or stash one ahead of time for you to get it when you make it there.

Browse my pictures

#129495 - 02/25/10 04:31 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: phat]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By phat

Breaking it up into carrying two weeks food at a time would probably help you a very great deal - this may mean finding a couple of places where someone could meet you with a resupply on a long stretch, or stash one ahead of time for you to get it when you make it there.

I competely concur with Phat on this one. I also believe in another post you had mentioned that your were going to be stopping and giving presentations on the way about your trip. Well there is your chance to pig out and resupply. You're going to be burning a ton of fuel to stay warm and to haul your pack so it would be very hard to haul enough food to keep you fueled.

-Skippy

Edited by skippy (02/25/10 04:31 AM)

#129498 - 02/25/10 08:57 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Being totally ignorant of the actual conditions, I'm not sure about this. But, if a pulk isn't feasible (either because of urban conditions or no snow), would a small wheeled cart work? There's been a couple of mentions of such things on other threads.

Feel free to ROF and LYAO (did I get that right?) wink

#129546 - 02/26/10 03:50 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: TomFenton]
TomFenton Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi, UAE
thanks for the information it is really helping me get a better idea of how I’m going to need to prepare for my trip! I guess my next question is what food would you suggest I take for these 3 to 4 week trips? How can I get 40 to 60 pounds of food into my pack, Without just drinking olive oil smile ?

#129548 - 02/26/10 06:05 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: TomFenton]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Ryan Jordan's Arctic 1000 page has some good info about food for an extended self-supported trip. Check it out here: http://www.ryanjordan.com/2006_arctic/

#129700 - 02/28/10 10:27 AM Re: Long Haul? Food For A Month? [Re: DTape]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
And here's a thread to a journal of a cross-country trip:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1870

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum