Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129308 - 02/22/10 01:07 PM Topo Map Software
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Does anyone print their own topo maps?

What software do you use?

Which is best?

Several companies put out topo software. It looks like the National Geographic is the most popular. What are you using?

rionada

#129324 - 02/22/10 02:29 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have been using NG TOPO and have been happy with it. I have no idea if it is the best or not. I have been able to find previous releases cheap on Ebay. I do not know what has changed but since they are made from scans of USGS maps which are several years old I don't think that I am missing anything. I have also been able to find GPS coordinates for many of the trails that I have been using so I have been able to create a map for my destinations.

#129328 - 02/22/10 02:55 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
I download the files for free from http://libremap.org/ and print them on a large format printer using photo software.

#129332 - 02/22/10 03:44 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: Eric]
rionada Offline

I knew that you would know!!!

Both great ideas.

I'll try the free map download tonight, and if that doesn't work I'll check out ebay's older versions.

Thanks Alot - sounds like the perfect answers.

rionada

#129341 - 02/22/10 05:28 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have used libremap like was mentioned, and it works great. Recently I have been going to this site.
Free topo maps

#129344 - 02/22/10 06:18 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: finallyME]
rionada Offline

Thanks FinallyMe,

I checked out the site. Do you print free maps right off the site, or did you join? Do you have any tricks or tips?

rionada

#129347 - 02/22/10 06:50 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
You can download any TOPO for free from the USGS store in PDF format. Printing entire maps on 11x17 paper works pretty good or you can print partial maps on smaller sized paper.

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/%28ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2%29/.do

#129355 - 02/22/10 10:03 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I switched from NG Topo to memory-map --- I like their windows mobile app on my smartphone better than the one for NG Topo, and with memory-map (and upgrade to their base product) I can import free maps from places such as libremap, or buy them on DVD from memory-map.com

Overall the tools are similar; NG Topo used to be buggier. It was primarily a cost decision to switch, as I wanted to get maps for the entire Appalachian Trail (14 states) and didn't want to pay NG Topo prices for all of that. I haven't used memory-map extensively, but what little I have used it it's performed well, and their customer service was very good too.

#129364 - 02/23/10 10:27 AM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: rionada]
finallyME Offline

Under "print from your computer", I click on "landscape". This puts it in a picture format. Then I usually copy it to a word document and print that. You could just print the photo. It ends up what I would do to a USGS map that I would have purchased. If I buy a full size map, I usually copy the parts I need and take the copy, not the full map. I can also print multiple copies of the same map and give my boy scouts a copy for themselves. I used to do the same with Libremap project, but this site is easier for this purpose.

Edited by finallyME (02/23/10 10:30 AM)

#129378 - 02/23/10 05:49 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: RHodo]
IamClovis Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By RHodo
You can download any TOPO for free from the USGS store in PDF format. Printing entire maps on 11x17 paper works pretty good or you can print partial maps on smaller sized paper.

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/%28ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2%29/.do

Im a cartographer here in New Mexico, this is also where I get my TOPO's.

#129383 - 02/23/10 06:50 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: IamClovis]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Iam
So are you in Clovis?
Welcome
Jim

#129449 - 02/24/10 12:58 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: Jimshaw]
IamClovis Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Yep I just moved out here from Michigan. Fresh outta college. crazy

#129481 - 02/24/10 11:08 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: IamClovis]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Now you can say you've been to the middle of nowhere. smile (I can say that because I've been there).

Do take the time to go over to Carlsbad Caverns. They're awesome. See if you can schedule a special spelunking trip. It's well worth the time.

Tango61

#129543 - 02/26/10 01:27 AM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: BrianLe]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
WOW! This thread has opened my eyes on available topo maps. I have a Garmin Colorado and the maps in my computer but often you want more detail and versatility. That's what I like about Memory Maps.

Eric

#129587 - 02/26/10 04:39 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: IamClovis]
spudnate Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By IamClovis
Yep I just moved out here from Michigan. Fresh outta college. crazy

Awww, how I miss New Mexico. I am originally from Ohio, spent ~19 months in NM, and now stay in Florida. It was NM that got me started in backpacking. My favorite place to visit was White Sands, and favorite backpacking was in the high deserts of the north. (SF, to Taos areas)

As for topo maps, I also download mine from the USGS store. I then use Acrobat reader with GeoPDF plugin (now called TerraGo) to view them. This was a great solution with my netbook and GPS reciever for it, as I got great GPS with a 10" screen and good, free maps. However, now that I am going to focus on packing lighter, this is not going to be as feasible.

#129592 - 02/26/10 05:48 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: IamClovis]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
What is the resolution of the PDF? Is it as good or nearly as good as the original map?

#129705 - 02/28/10 12:44 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: wandering_daisy]
spudnate Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
What is the resolution of the PDF? Is it as good or nearly as good as the original map?

All of the ones I have downloaded, seem to be as good as the original map, but I have not printed one. They are listed from 21x25 inches or higher and from 4.5-10 megabytes.

#129719 - 02/28/10 06:56 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: spudnate]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Do they tell you the dpi used when scanning?

I have scanned USGS 7.5-minute maps at about 100 to 150 dpi and they end up about 1Mb per quarter of a map (or about 4 mb for an entire map) when I convert to PDF file. This resolution is pretty good. The lines start to get fuzzy when magnified past 500% in Adobe Reader. These print up pretty nicely. When I scan, I do not scan the white area of the margins. So if the downloaded PDFs show the entire border area, you lose some resolution, but it should still be OK.

To save on weight, you could also print on both sides of the paper. Just be sure to not print an adjoining map on the back side. It is nice to place them side-by-side. I print quarters of 7.5-min maps on regular letter size paper and this works out very well.

One thing to consider, is that if printed on regular paper, with home printers, the ink will run and smear very badly if the map gets wet. I am not sure what the USGS does on their regular maps but they can get wet and the ink never runs or smears. There is waterproof paper but it is expensive and heavy.

I am curious- has anyone tried to "seal" printed maps with a mix of Silicon sealer and mineral spirits, like they recommend for seam-sealing tents? There might be some spray stuff out there that prevents the bleeding problem.

#129721 - 02/28/10 07:08 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I just keep my home-printed maps sealed in a gallon ziplock bag. Lots lighter than laminating or that stupid heavy, almost unfoldable waterproof paper (like the almost useless Earthwalk Press maps of the Wind Rivers). If you have to move a new map to the top top, do the unsealing in your tent or with your rain jacket spread out over both your head and the maps. I've seen some map sealer stuff you can paint on maps, but I prefer plain paper plus plastic bag. The package folds up more compactly and I can write on the maps in case of need.

I have the National Geographic TOPO software for WA and OR and last spring ended up buying the Wyoming set on sale.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/28/10 07:10 PM)

#129799 - 03/01/10 06:05 PM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: wandering_daisy]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
I spray the map printouts with Krylon Clear Acrylic. It doesn't make the paper water proof but it keeps the ink from running if it gets a few drops of rain.

#129863 - 03/02/10 09:31 AM Re: Topo Map Software [Re: wandering_daisy]
finallyME Offline

I print my maps on normal 8X11 paper and put them in a plastic sheet cover. Then I heat seal the end that was open. Sometimes, I have several pages and just leave the top open and put all the sheets in one sleeve. I keep the map under my jacket in the rain, and take it out occasionally. This is generally enough protection. Most my trips are overnight. I would be more substantial for longer trips.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum