Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128643 - 02/11/10 04:47 PM 0 degree bag
arolfsen Offline

Loc: alabama
who makes the smallest packing sized 0 degree bag?

#128697 - 02/12/10 11:41 AM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Any packed zero-degree bag will be exactly as large as the sack it is packed in. Any of the top-name down sleeping bags will compress nicely (Marmot, Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, etc.)

Even if one of them compresses ever so slightly more than the others, you'd have to find an ever-so-slightly smaller stuff sack to make the difference apparent (and you'd have to cram that sack to its utmost capacity every time, which can get rather painful.)

You could go sackless too, but then the same limitations apply to stuffing the bag directly into your backpack.

Having used all three of the above-named brands, I'll take a wild anectdotal stab at a definitive answer: a Feathered Friends bag will occupy the least space in your pack.

#128720 - 02/12/10 05:02 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have a "black ice, 0 degree bag from Kelty but the thing is synthetic and it is also over twenty years old. Still works like the day I bought it. I would guess that 15-20 degrees would be a more accurate rating but then we all do want to be comfortable. This bag goes into a water proof stuff sack probably close to 8X12 inches. The bottom of the bag is round so it does keep a round shape at the bottom but I usually flatten it out so that it goes into my pack a little easier. sabre11004... goodjob

#128724 - 02/12/10 05:55 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By arolfsen
who makes the smallest packing sized 0 degree bag?

Out of the big brands, the smallest stuffed sized zero-degree sleeping bag I have found is Marmot's Lithium (7.5x15), followed by Feathered Friend's zero-series (9x15).

Nunatak sells a +5 quilt, the Arc Expedition which packs 7x14 in a small or 7x16 in a medium.

Keep in mind that all of these high-end zero degree bags will set you back $500+ at full-retail.

#128725 - 02/12/10 06:11 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: ChrisFol]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Originally Posted By ChrisFol
Nunatak sells a +5 quilt

The perfect companion for my vorpal two-handed sword!

#128803 - 02/14/10 05:37 AM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: Zalman]
arolfsen Offline

i found a snugpak 20 degree that compresses down to 7x7, which is more the size i'm looking for.

#128811 - 02/14/10 10:56 AM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
ChrisFol Offline

i found a snugpak 20 degree that compresses down to 7x7, which is more the size i'm looking for.

You asked for a zero degree bag, not a 20 degree bag! A 20 degree bag is no good for winter camping in most of the U.S.

Edited by ChrisFol (02/14/10 01:34 PM)

#128843 - 02/14/10 03:56 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: ChrisFol]
arolfsen Offline

You asked for a zero degree bag, not a 20 degree bag! A 20 degree bag is no good for winter camping in most of the U.S.

yea. i was looking for a compromise. i'd really like it to pack smaller than 2 basket balls sitting next to each other. i'm a space freak. the smaller the better.

#128864 - 02/14/10 08:42 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula

yea. i was looking for a compromise. i'd really like it to pack smaller than 2 basket balls sitting next to each other. i'm a space freak. the smaller the better.

At this point, the question is really whether it is a 20* bag or not. Snugpak is not a well-known brand in the high end market. (At least not to me). And a bag with those specs is definitely a high end bag. Other than the fact that they assert it is a 20* bag, how do you know? What is the loft?
The reality is that if you didn't pay $300+ for a 20* bag that fits 7x7, it almost certainly is not.

#128871 - 02/14/10 11:04 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
ChrisFol Offline

When do you plan on backpacking, 3-seasons or winter and where do you plan on taking most of your trips?

People generally do not compromise the temp of their bag to save space. For three season use then a bag rated +15 to +25 is fine for most of the U.S. In some areas you could even get away with a +30 or +35 degree bag. Anything below +15 is considered for winter use, and with this generally comes a heavier and bulkier bag to keep to you warm during the colder temps.

Furthermore, people usually have two sleep systems, one for 3-season and one for winter (if applicable). Why carry the weight of a zero degree bag in the heigh of summer only to overheat at night.

In summary, decide when/where you will use the bag and purchase accordingly.

#128923 - 02/15/10 06:40 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: arolfsen]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Then don't ask for a 0 degree bag. heck, ask for an 80 degree bag, and you can just sleep in your clothing. it'll pack small.

Seriously.

Best way to have your bag as small as possible is to take a bag without very much insulation - which if it's less insulation than you need will mean you're either uncomfortable, or using extra clothing to make up for your "decreased size" in sleeping bag which ends up being larger and heavier.

not that your snugpack might not be bad for a bag usable down to freezing or so, but you might also want to think about how much it *weighs*.
Browse my pictures

#128939 - 02/16/10 02:18 AM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: phat]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
BTW, Softie Snugpak is a British company that supplies the British Armed Forces with their sleeping bags and insulating clothing layer.

Their propietary synthetic insulation is excellent and holds up very well under repeated compressions.
All their products are top shelf in quality and performance. If you like synthetic bags you should be so lucky as to have one of theirs.

Eric

#129050 - 02/17/10 04:40 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: 300winmag]
CJennings Offline

Loc: Utah
Valandre has a good reputation for compressing quite small. I have their Bloody Mary size long that I am able to compress down to 7.5 X 10" without much problem. Using the Marie Antoinette collar, it is warm down to 5*F.

#129080 - 02/18/10 12:05 AM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: CJennings]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Any down bag will compress a lot smaller than synthetic, and will last many times longer. Check bags from Montbell, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends or the Marmot Lithium. Pricey, but with proper care will last a lifetime. And they certainly much lighter than a comparably warm synthetic.

Your first priority in any sleeping system should be comfort. That's why you've been warned against trying to use a 20*F bag in 0*F temperatures. Second is weight. Compacted size should be a distant third.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/18/10 12:07 AM)

#129200 - 02/20/10 05:45 PM Re: 0 degree bag [Re: OregonMouse]
arolfsen Offline

i've yet to see true 0 degree weather. in my ao the lowest we've seen was like 19. and that was a few years back. i'm in Alabama. the farthest i envision myself traveling is to TN or KY. .

thanks for all the options thus far. looks like i need to keep saving.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum