Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127876 - 02/02/10 03:40 PM UL Trekking Poles
hikenc9
Unregistered

Has anyone used the Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 poles with straps? They seem like the best lightweight poles I've found. About 8.2 w/out baskets.

Thanks

#128273 - 02/06/10 03:26 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: ]
Doorknob Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I have the GG poles, but without the straps. As of now I would not use any other poles.

#128275 - 02/06/10 03:55 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: Doorknob]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By Doorknob
I have the GG poles, but without the straps. As of now I would not use any other poles.

I have the same ones. I don't like straps. To me, they just get in the way and I never really noticed any benefit when I had poles with straps. But whether you get them with or without straps, you will love these poles.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#128285 - 02/06/10 06:02 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: ]
lori Offline

The point of straps is to be able to put weight on the pole without carrying them in a death grip all the time. The GG Lightreks are so light and so easily adjusted in your hands as you go along that I never grip them that hard, and I don't have the straps. Used to use straps all the time with the heavier metal poles I have.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#128345 - 02/07/10 03:54 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: lori]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
I would really like to try a set of Lightreks but I think I would stick with the straps. To me, the straps are more about distributing the load to my wrist and forearms, rather than using my grip to support me, and less about the weight of the poles.

#128375 - 02/08/10 12:14 AM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: scottyb]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I plan to put straps on the bamboo poles I am making. As Scottyb pointed out they spread some of the weight above your wrists thus keeping them from getting sore.

#128400 - 02/08/10 11:40 AM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: Shrike]
lori Offline

I used to say the same thing. I think straps would get in my way, now... used to nordic walk and all, not even necessary any longer.

#128425 - 02/08/10 05:35 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I put a LOT of weight on my poles when on rough ground, and without the straps my carpal tunnel syndrome flares up. With the straps, the point with most weight on it is very close to my wrist (under the heel of my hand) and I'm not gripping anything.

I waited what seemed like forever for the long-promised GG Lighttrek poles with straps to come out or for the Ti Goat poles (with straps as an add-on) to get back in stock. Finally I found a pair of Leki carbonlite poles on sale (regular price is far too much for my budget) for about the same price as the Lighttreks without straps. Several ounces heavier than the Lighttreks, but far lighter than my old poles. And I had them about 9 months sooner.

#128433 - 02/08/10 06:28 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: OregonMouse]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“With the straps, the point with most weight on it is very close to my wrist (under the heel of my hand) and I'm not gripping anything.”

OM, isn’t that strap smack on your carpal tunnel?

My wife gets carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) every once in a while. She has found hiking with the 2.4oz strapless GG Poles for a few days totally clears up her cts. My theory is she is using her full hand muscle which is an important cts preventive measure--- the constant flexing and relaxing. Also using these poles keeps her wrist in neutral position which is a plus for cts.

And another thing I like, the strapless pole totally eliminates swollen hands on long walks.
This is just my insight. A chiro or orthopedic surgeon would have more/better ideas.

-Barry

#128439 - 02/08/10 06:49 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: BarryP]
lori Offline

I spend a lot of time on the computer. I feel the repetitive stress most on the back of the hand, for some reason.

With the nice wide cork grips on the GG poles, I find my hand naturally slides up to palm the ends on downhill slopes with my fingers gripping lightly to direct the points. On the uphill my grip automatically shifts down to the flared bottom edge of the handle. Neither of those would be comfortable with straps on. The rest of the time the poles rest lightly in my hand, so much so that every once in a while, a gust of wind can pick one out of my fingers.

#128792 - 02/13/10 10:21 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: ]
hikenc9
Unregistered

So I think I'm going to get the GG poles. Not sure if I should get the regular or short. Comparing the lengths to leki's carbon and komperdell makes it hard. I'm about 5'9". What do you guys have?

#128793 - 02/13/10 11:16 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: ]

Lots of info on trekking poles!

You also need to think about how long the poles need to be to support your shelter. If it's a Tarptent Rainshadow (which I have for going out with my grandkids), they need to be 48".

EDIT: I recommend not getting poles with shock absorbers. I find they don't do anything for me; they are noisy; they are more expensive.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/14/10 11:15 AM)

#128795 - 02/14/10 12:59 AM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: ]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I'm 5'11 and I could get *by* with the short - since I typically have my poles at about 125 cm.. Problem is I sometimes extend and I also use them sometimes for shelters as a pole - so I don't get "short" length poles, I get the standards.

I suspect, but again, it's personal preference, that you'd be ok with the shorties being 5' 9", unless you were using them as shelter supports.
Browse my pictures

#128796 - 02/14/10 01:01 AM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I just realized how incredibly silly that post sounded, given that I was quoting my height in feet and inches, and my poles in centimeters..

The funny part is - that's canada for you. I have no bloody clue how tall I am in centimeters, and I have no bloody clue what my poles are normally set at in inches..

(A few things like height and weight are commonly still quoted in the old units, because it's what people continuously know..)

Browse my pictures

#128831 - 02/14/10 01:45 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles(STRAPS!!) [Re: jasonklass]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
For those of you who "don't like pole straps" you likely never cross country skiied, where proper use of pole straps is necessary.

Pole straps are PRIMARILY to push against, not to keep the poles on your hand. Thus they relieve your need to grip the pole handle firmly, and that eases lower arm muscle fatigue a lot.

TO PROPERLY USE POLE STRAPS:

1. Put your entire hand, thumb and all, UP through the pole strap as if putting on a bracelet.

2. Be sure the pole strap forms an upside down "V" on the palm of your hand betwen your thumb and forefinger at the web of your thumb. Also be sure the straps are buckled so they lay flat all the way around your hand.

3. Now, with the pole planted at a slight angle with the tip back, push down against the pole strap when walking.

4. Adjust the strap so it is not too loose or too tight.

With this use of pole straps you can have a far more comfortable walk than without them.

When descending steep and/or rough trails pole straps become even more important.

** Newer hiking poles have "ergonomic" handles that lean forward but even with these better handles pole straps are still a better way to go for the reasons stated above.

Eric
BTW, cross country skiers adjust their pole straps so there is a "right" and "left" pole. This is done by having the thumb side strap come out of the pole BENEATH the other, outside pole strap. This gives more room for the meaty thumb muscle and just makes it more comfortable. A small detail but one that works.

#128836 - 02/14/10 02:19 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles(STRAPS!!) [Re: 300winmag]
lori Offline

I didn't say I didn't like pole straps - I used to use them religiously. Were I to use my old poles I would be using them again.

I simply find that the GG poles work differently and that straps are not necessary with them.

#128845 - 02/14/10 04:08 PM Re: UL Trekking Poles [Re: phat]

Phat, not so silly, since even here in the US, only holdout for the old-fashioned measurement system, trekking poles are measured, or at least marked, in centimeters.

According to the cute little converter that comes with the "dashboard" on my iMac, 48 in. = 122 cm. Even for short folk like me, I wouldn't get them any shorter, just to be sure the poles will work with any shelter for which they might be needed in future.

EDIT, NEXT DAY: You'll also want 47-48" poles if you're interested in the ZPacks Twin Hexamid under development. I suspect there may be others with similar height come along in the future.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/15/10 08:56 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum