Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128386 - 02/08/10 08:19 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: phat]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
IME there are really no tents that work really well in the wet snowfalls of the PNW. There are just tents that work less badly than others.

#128402 - 02/08/10 12:14 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Pika]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Tunnel-style may be best for left coast snow (I include n-Calif with the PNW due to its propensity for heavy, wet snow--both in the southern Cascades and northern Sierra). An example would be the Early Winters Omnipotent, which Bill Nicolai specifically designed to fend off the heavy Cascade snow. It was highly regarded by NW climbers. I went with the single-wall EW Winterlite as a lighter, less "bomber" option after having a really bad winter experience with an a-frame "mountain" tent with separate fly. To this day the Winterlite is probably my best winter tent.

Regardless of design, you will still have to get up and dig out periodically. Here's where an igloo or snow cave can be superior (if a heck of a lot more work). You just have to keep your airflow open.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Pika
IME there are really no tents that work really well in the wet snowfalls of the PNW. There are just tents that work less badly than others.

#128404 - 02/08/10 12:32 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Well truly bombproof tents like the full weight biblers (bibler bombshelter, eldorado, etc. come close - you do still have to keep them dug out to some extent of course. You'll have a lot easier time with something like that than you will something like a shangri la in that kind of weather. Of course the tent is a heck of a lot heavier but hey - that's winter camping!

Would I carry such a thing the rest of the year or somewhere I don't expect to need it? heck no.
Browse my pictures

#128448 - 02/08/10 08:44 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
My Bibler Eldorado weighs in at 68 oz and is true winter expedition tent BUT it can flap in high winds, and a 3-4 pole dome tent makes a quieter storm tent. If you consider the Roman arch which carries the load down is parabolic sides and look at a dome, I think you can see that a dome can have a great snow load on it and the load actually doesn't crush the tent.

I have never shoveled out a tent at night. I refuse and sometimes I have to push up through a lot of snow in the morning to get out. The worse snow I ever camped in dropped about 30" of wet snow on us and it did try to crush the sides of my Eldorado in. Still I didn't shovel, still inside my sleeping bag, I put my back against one wall and my feet on the other wall and pushed the snow away about three times. This packed a layer of snow just outside the tent so it was kinda like having the tent pitched inside a snow cave. It was really quiet after it was buried.

The Moss Superfly4 pyramid tent that I have for sale was pitched between my buddies tent and mine as we were using it as a cook tent in the great storm. I heard the wood center pole snap in the night. If we had been in it, instead my buddy would have shoveled around it and we could have pushed the sides out. This pyramid has two large screened windows and an interior snow flap to put gear or snow on to seal the bottom down, so its a true all season tent. The trouble with a center poled tent in deep snow is that the snow builds up on the lower edges and if not removed it will either rip or snap the center pole.
Jim

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum