Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127939 - 02/03/10 02:55 AM Sewing Patterns
JeremyDuncan Offline

Loc: Midwest
Anybody know a good place to get sewing patterns for free? I wanna make a vest.

#127980 - 02/03/10 01:11 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
One option is to get some perlon (non-woven) or other cheap fabric and make your own pattern. A pattern is nothing but a model. The idea is first to make a full scale model of the inside shell. Modify it until it fits right, making allowance for the thickness of the insulation. Then make a model of the outside shell, again making some allowance for the insulation making the outside shell larger than the inside shell. Stitch is with a basting zig-zag by loosening the tension of the top thread enough that it still stitches properly without tangling. You can use cheap Walmart continuous-filament batting to test. Then make a model of the collar. This is a two-hour job- a lot quicker than waiting for a pattern to arrive.

Rockywoods.com has a vest pattern,
Or Google on insulated vest patterns: for example http://www.northbreeze.com/Patterns/Disc...-UnisexVest.htm

#128139 - 02/05/10 12:24 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
Billc3 Offline

There are some great books about sewing outdoor gear at the library including one by Spock, aka Vick Roling Hines.

Bill

#128155 - 02/05/10 10:26 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: Billc3]
Spock Offline

Bill,
Thanks for the plug, but that book is like 25 years out of date. Web forums are a much better source of information today.
Spock

#128162 - 02/05/10 01:00 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: Spock]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I agree with what spock said. I used this strategy when I made my quilt and it really helped me decide what dimensions I wanted. I had a general idea drawn out on paper but when I tested it the size was almost perfect so it worked out nicely.

#128176 - 02/05/10 03:51 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: Shrike]
JeremyDuncan Offline

My problem is less with the dimensions and more about the shapes. I tried Google for hours just trying to find a picture of a pattern to work from.

Another big issue I have, is I can't decide what to sew first to keep the seems in desirable places.

I can't believe as much crap that's on the Internet, there are no youtube videos or detailed instructions on how to make a damn vest.

#128199 - 02/05/10 06:39 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Jeremy, why don't you take a look at the Minima vest kit offered by Thru Hiker at http://thru-hiker.com/kits/ You can get a kit sized for you with Momentum 0.9 oz/yd fabric and all of the cutting, figuring and fitting done for you for about $52. And, you get to keep the patterns to modify for future projects. At least take a look. If you try to MYOG you can easily spend more than this on your mistakes. smile

#128202 - 02/05/10 07:38 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
Spock Offline

This isn't rocket science.

Do you have an old T-shirt that fits loosely? Or an old shirt of any description? That's a good start. Put it on and mark it with tailor's chalk for length, collar fit and shoulder width. Cut it along the seams and chalk marks. You will notice the back is a little longer than the front and you will want to add 4 or 5 inches to the bottom of the back (relative to the front length you choose) for kidney protection. There you have a pattern for the inside shell.

Green Pepper patterns at owfinc.com has more than one vest pattern.

A good general resource is:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Edited by Spock (02/05/10 08:06 PM)

#128221 - 02/06/10 12:02 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: Spock]
JeremyDuncan Offline

I already have all the material, I was just hoping someone knew of a free pattern somewhere out there in the vast expanses of the internet.

I figured there's be some tech savvy do-it-yourself seamstress out there that had scanned a bunch of patterns and threw them online or something like that. Or even just instructions of which seams to sew first. That sort of thing.

I am used to being able to find detailed instructions online to most things I research. Backpacking is turning out to be the exception.

I do have old shirts, but none with a collar. I used the measurements from a shirt to get the inside part, but the collar is just not working out right. It's hard to tell with it just all pinned together, though.

My next project is going to be hiking pants or shorts. Haha. Guess I'm on my own there, too.

Edited by JeremyDuncan (02/06/10 12:04 AM)

#128231 - 02/06/10 06:53 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Jeremy-

From having sewn other garments, I would expect to sew the shoulders together first, then collar to the neck epening, and last, the side seams.

Beyond that, the finishing depends on garment. For a down-filled vest, you may be able to get away with quilting-through the vest. I have never worked with down, so can't give advice on that. If you are using a poly-fill, you may get away with sewing 3 vests: inner, batting, outer, wth seams to the inside. I haven't done this either except for mittens and cozies.

What is going on with the collar?

CM

#128747 - 02/13/10 09:04 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: CamperMom]
robi Offline

Loc: budapest, hungary
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/designs.php I have used several of their patterns. free and commercial.. the commercial ones, esp the abisko jacket are great, the forum is super helpful.

If I were to make a vest now I would just take that abisko pattern and not make sleeves for it.

they have a few free patterns there

http://www.andersj.se/ is a good place for all kinds of projects. the pdf files with matterns are great, even if they are in Swedish I was able to undertsand many of them... maybe not vest stuff here, I cannot remember, you wil have to dig round the gor det sjelv section... but good general gear sewing info.

For me the problem with sewing clothing has always been the order of things.. which bits go together,when????

robi

#128801 - 02/14/10 03:32 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: robi]
JeremyDuncan Offline

Thank you. Those are some great resources!

Aside from there being no vests, this is exactly what I was talking about!

#128825 - 02/14/10 12:28 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
JeremyDuncan Offline

#128880 - 02/15/10 07:45 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hi, Jeremy,
The pictures give a general idea of how many pieces, so how much actual stitching and cutting are involved. Every edge can mean cutting, stitching, and the bulk and weight of the fabric in the seam. Those arrows on corners, coming at the two ends of a line, mean that the edge of the pattern is butted to a fold. Eliminating seams can make the garment quicker and less complicated to sew, but less fitted. The instructions are usually inside the pattern envelope. It looks as if Jolie is supplying a picture of that envelope. You need the pieces to know the exact cutting lines.
Good Luck!
CamperMom

#129011 - 02/17/10 07:51 AM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: CamperMom]
JeremyDuncan Offline

not a vest, but while we are on the subject of patterns, check out this rain coat using Ikea bags.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-Ikea-Raincoat/

Granted it probably works about as goos as a garbage bag, it looks kinda cool B)

#129457 - 02/24/10 04:16 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
G George Offline

Loc: Missouri
I went to a site www.seattlefabrics.com lots of ggod fabric, and patterns.
We are making our own drybags.
Good luck, first post here.
George

#130921 - 03/18/10 05:57 PM Re: Sewing Patterns [Re: JeremyDuncan]
Zurichs Mom Offline

Loc: Vermont
Hi there! I just joined, and saw your post, and I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for. It has a flame pattern on it, but you can just ignore it if you want a more subtle look. Also, if you don't have Acrobat, you need to download a DWF viewer. Not a biggie.

http://m-sewing.com/patterns-catalog/men/vests/vest-with-pattern.html

Two others you can use as extra info:
http://m-sewing.com/patterns-catalog/men/vests/vest-with-pockets.html
http://m-sewing.com/patterns-catalog/men/vests/vest-with-hood.html
I do a lot of sewing, and another resource for future use is burdastyle.com, but I didn't see the type of vest you want there.
good luck!
Lynne

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum