Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128234 - 02/06/10 09:11 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim, when I first started hammocking, I used those pocket 'net' hammocks from Walmart. Those things need to be hung very tautly just to be able to lay anywhere near flat.
The ropes felt as tight as piano strings.
The newer 'assym' style hammocks don't need to be hung tightly at all, and my guess is, because you are laying diagonal to the rope axis (outside the triangle) you are able to get much steeper sides to your "triangle". To make the trig work, the angles need to be measured after the hammock is loaded and the intersection would be about where your butt is. Maybe a 70-80 deg. angle at the 'butt point', vs. 30-40 deg. with the old net hammocks. Your math is right....just have to figure out how to measure an 'assym' hammock.

Now, having marveled in the amazingness of super-light beeners, have a look at the load ratings of this stuff:
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192
(scroll down to the bottom for a chart)

#128236 - 02/06/10 10:02 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Dryer]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The chart is impressive. Isn't this stuff a bit tricky to tie in knots (vis-a-vis splicing)?

#128239 - 02/06/10 10:52 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: oldranger]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
Isn't this stuff a bit tricky to tie in knots (vis-a-vis splicing)?

Not really. It feels like soft ski rope and holds knots well.
It's hollow, so you can make slings and splices easily.
Yet again it will mess with your head....1/8" dia., 2500 lbs.???!!! I have a hard time trusting that.
Here's some splicing instructions:
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28

This means that 7/64ths string could replace the Spectra on the Hennessey and save about 1 lb. That just doesn't sound right.

#128242 - 02/06/10 11:54 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Jimshaw]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
Jim, The rope is Spectra which doesn't stretch much but the hammock itself stretches quite a bit. I couldn't measure the angle of the suspension lines without a helper, which I didn't have.

#128246 - 02/06/10 12:47 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Dryer
it may appear that that stuff takes traditional knots well, but considering the loads I suggest looking further if you want knots that are anywhere near the load strength, and be prepared to lose from 20% to 50 % of the load value if there is any kind of knot. The OLD carabiners were round and pretty big, the ropes going around them were not stressed too much, but the tiny new carabiners are thin and bending rope around them severely weakens it. So there is a major offset to the weight savings. I'll bet Camp doesn't mention that in their beener information. Personally I would use a triple or even quadruple fishemans knot, but please do not take this as tested advice. Go to the manufacturer for specific knot recommendations if you depend on those knots for your safety. I have some old Dolt rings which are circles about 1.5 inch OD and they have smoothly curved internal shape so that they are shaped like an old wide carabiner. They are immensely strong and were the preferred way of bending a rope around something besides a fat beener.
Heres a photo of two original Dolt rings which were either forged or milled from solid rod, and on the bottom is a modern hollow version of much smaller diameter which is rolled from a stamping. Obviously the old Dolt ring would be less destructive to the rope, but of course the modern one is cheaper, lighter and available. They are used to set up anchors where a triangle to two sets of bolts and one looped rope downward, carabiners CANNOT take a three angle load.

the lower center ring is the modern one, the other two are original Dolt rings made by Dolt, they must be from the 60s.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (02/06/10 04:40 PM)

#128256 - 02/06/10 01:39 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
it may appear that that stuff takes traditional knots well, but considering the loads I suggest looking further if you want knots that are anywhere near the load strength, and be prepared to lose from 20% to 50 % of the load value if there is any kind of knot.

Agree...knots I know. That would be the one of a couple downsides of using really thin lines as suspension rope. As a line gets smaller, the mechanical advantage knot bends/loops produce on itself is huge. That certainly makes sense for hardware, too.
I'll typically wrap my suspension line 3-5 times around the tree, and tie off with a couple halfhitches. Fatter line also protects the tree if huggers aren't used, which I normally don't. My new beener is for use with hugger straps.

#128367 - 02/07/10 10:40 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
I'm going to be switching over from straps to the Amsteel Blue later this spring. It's not so much for the weight saving but rather for less bulk.

Right now I'm using the ring buckle suspension as described over on hammockforums.net.

I'll be switching to the Amsteel Blue and whoopie slings or perhaps some type of hybrid with the beeners and the Amsteel Blue 7/64ths.

Of course Paul, we'll want pictures of your set up.

Edited by Tango61 (02/07/10 10:40 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#128373 - 02/07/10 11:34 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Amsteel Blue.. [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Tim,
Mine is always going to be simple, minimalist. I rarely use a tree hugger strap....instead wrapping multiple raps of suspension line around the tree. No rings here, either. The beener is to allow for use of a truckers hitch (when using a hugger strap) and/or to hang my pack. Whoopie slings are interesting and I might go there someday. West Marine sells Amsteel Blue. It's nice see side by side comparisons of different lines.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum