Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127926 - 02/02/10 11:53 PM Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings.
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I picked up a couple CAMP Nano 23, wiregate carabiners for hammock hanging. These little guys weigh 23 grams...almost nothing. They are rated at 20 kilo-newtons, which works out to 4,500 POUNDS!!!????? For $6 ?! I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing these cheezy little aluminum hooks can lift my Toyota 4Runner, complete with passengers.
Am I understanding this right?

#127931 - 02/03/10 01:00 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Ultralytenment Offline

Loc: Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
I'm not certain, but I think that rating corresponds to weight during impact (during a fall, for instance), not for a constant load.

#127934 - 02/03/10 01:51 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Dryer you can post a photo, but that sounds about right. The aluminum alloys they use combined with the shape makes for some pretty awesome devices. However the formula F=ma force = mass times acceleration is a sort of momentary thing (with acceleration as a variable) vs "holds 4500 pounds. It probably will hold 4500 pounds, (its the same amount of force) but thats not an important thing to climbers who are worried about impact. That said Camp produces junk, pardon me. Others will argue, but theres a reason why its $6.00. I have here a black diamond wired beener in my hand that says 24 kN along the axis, 7 kN perpendicular to the axis and 8 kN along the axis with the gate open. Ya see with the gate closed its essentially a ring.
Jim

#127958 - 02/03/10 08:57 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
That said Camp produces junk,

grin
Well, Jim, I can't disagree. I simply wanted the lightest thing available for my hammock hanging adventures and the Nano 23 is the lightest. I just can't see an engine block...or me...suspended from this little thing. It looked about the same quality as the other carabiners there.
http://www.rei.com/product/764094?preferredSku=7640940016&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7640940016&mr:trackingCode=7590071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

#127963 - 02/03/10 10:40 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
They will be fine. Of course, these ratings only apply to users who are pure of heart...I am sure there are no issues there, right?

I just purchased three carabiners of this same ultra-light type and I am surprised at their extreme light weight; these ultra light-weights look superficially like the various "toy" biners that (usually) are stamped on their sides "Do not use for climbing." Someday someone will confuse them and have a big problem.

The ratings you cite are UIAA ratings, derived from testing. The carabiners are in the REI product line, with those cited ratings. I am comfortable with that.

The company would probably really appreciate a picture of your Toyota and family hanging from their biner, provided the gas pedal doesn't malfunction on the way to the photo shoot.

#127964 - 02/03/10 11:12 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: oldranger]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
Of course, these ratings only apply to users who are pure of heart...I am sure there are no issues there, right?

Uh oh. blush

#127986 - 02/03/10 03:33 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Hmm
my BD beener weighs 37 grams.

I was thinking in Newtons F=ma where a= acceleration defined as a change in velocity, which means speeding up, slowing down, or turning. "a" for a beener is actually the deceleration of the climber, but the velocity of the climber came from gravity. The acceleration from gravity is 32 feet per second squared. Weight = m x gravity which actually means weight F = m x acceleration, the acceleration of gravity (on the surface of the Earth) so the Force of a climber falling will exceed the force of his normal weight yet the F=ma equation is the same, so yes I would say it will hold your Toyota, but I wouldn't trust my Toyota to a product made by Camp, however if if has the UIAA rating then its what it is regardless of who makes it, but like I said, my Black Diamond wired beener which is ten years old weighs 37 grams.
Jim

#128066 - 02/04/10 12:04 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Good stuff, Jim!
The CAMP Nano 23 is only for holding one suspension line of my hammock to make 1) a truckers hitch and 2) a place to clip my pack/shoes/etc. It will be holding a load maybe 1/10th it's rated limit. Having a carabiner or two in the pack ain't a bad idea either.
I've got beeners of various kinds for SAR work, mostly screw gate. I've used them for water work. Use them for my sailboat too...a meunters hitch as a jibe boom brake works really well.
I was just taken for surprise that a 23 gram aluminum hook could hold that much shock/weight! Also, comparing other wire gate beeners (i like your spelling), the designs are very different, especially with the spines. Some are "I" beam shaped, some are elliptical like the CAMP product.
So....what makes CAMP junk? What should I be looking for, quality wise? All my other beeners and descenders are BD and Petzl. CAMP makes the lightest of all.

#128068 - 02/04/10 01:05 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

The most important thing is that it keeps your rear end off the ground! grin

I have some and they haven't let me down yet!

Now, would I hang my truck from them? Nope.

Going out this weekend.

BTW Dryer, I was down at the top of the 4c last week scouting out the area. Will be doing a top-to-bottom in a couple of weeks if the weather cooperates.

Cheers!

#128102 - 02/04/10 03:09 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Dryer,
perhaps I shouldn't run down Camp, but in the past they made very iffy "looking climbing gear" like aluminum headed ice axes and their aluminum crampons. Granted there is a market for this really light stuff, but my mount blanc airtech forged chrome moly head ice axe didn't weigh that much more than the aluminum headed one. ( also the rubber coated handle on the Airtech IS critical to keeping your hands from freezing and improves your grip when hanging on for dear life.)Perhaps for occasional use the camp unit might be the way to go especially for a weight fanatic, but you know me well enough to know that I demand the highest quality in equipment whose failure may cost you your life. If you've ever taken a major fall on ice and done a self arrest you would know what I mean, only a sharp tough axe will save my butt. Its like carrying a plastic avalanche shovel instead of a metal one, you can't actually dig in hard snow and ice with the plastic one.
just my $.02 worth.

#128104 - 02/04/10 04:18 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
So this brings up an interesting question. How much load is actually on the suspension lines of a hammock? The amount of sag in the lines makes a lot of difference. The weight distribution of the occupant, the total weight and distance between trees are also factors. Next dry day I'll get out the Hennessy and a load cell...

#128121 - 02/04/10 07:17 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Eric
The weight distribution of the occupant

Occupants?

(For the so-comfortable-they-like-to-spoon members of the hammock mafia)

Browse my pictures

#128128 - 02/04/10 08:42 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
Jimshaw Offline

Eric,
its the angle of the dangle that matters. If the lines hung straight down the force would be equal to the occupants weigh, and if they are perfectly horizontal that value goes to infinity, so its a matter of trigonometry. Since most people tie their hammocks pretty tightly then lay in them there is a tremendous amount of force. Lets see you would divide the weight of the hammock and occupant by the sin of the depressed angle, that is the angle down from horizontal. 180 pound load with 45 degree angle = 180/.7071 = 255 pounds. 30 degrees is sin 30 = .5. 180/.5 = 300 pounds. sin 20 = .342 180/.342= 526 pounds. Now for Bigfoot with really tight lines and non-stretch ropes at say 10 degrees, sin = .1736 so 250/.1736 = 1440 pounds.
Jim

#128134 - 02/04/10 11:13 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Jimshaw]
Eric Offline

Jim,
I get the angle thing (old theatre rigger here) and that's my point. The angle will change under load since the whole thing is elastic. Small changes in length can cause large changes in angle and so load. Also there's impact loading as you move around. All that said, you're right "a tremendous amount of force".

#128156 - 02/05/10 10:53 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
"a tremendous amount of force".

It's tremendous, but not that tremendous. I hang my hammocks fairly loosly with the ridgeline sometimes luffing just enough to keep the netting off me. Maybe 250#'s on the ropes? However, one thing I'm about to do is change my suspension lines to Amsteel Blue to maybe shave few ounces off the pack weight. That stuff replaces wire rope on 4WD winches, pound per pound.

So, 4500 lbs. capacity for a .8 oz. aluminum beener, or a 3/8ths" threaded steel shackle at 2200lbs. and about 1 lb. weight. Oh, yeah, that makes sense! grin

#128160 - 02/05/10 12:44 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I use "pretend" 'biners that I bought at Home Depot for 99 cents. Anodized Alu. 23grams. Been on my hammock for years, even my double. Never had a problem. I must have 20 of them on my dog leashes, keys and hammocks.

The rating is 150 pounds and they're stamped "not for climbing." I'm confident that they can hold much more than that. Long ago I worked in a materials testing lab were I pulled/loaded lots of jackstands, tow straps, etc. to failure. Most of those items withstood at least twice their rated strength.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#128161 - 02/05/10 12:52 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Trailrunner]
oldranger Offline

Those things scare me. You realize they are "not for climbing," but I am waiting to hear about the accident where the toy biners get deployed in a load bearing situation and fail.

I think I would rather spend the coin for a stronger, more versatile gizmo.

Did you ever do any tests on climbing biners? The results would be interesting.

#128164 - 02/05/10 01:18 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: oldranger]
Jimshaw Offline

old ranger there are labs that do a lot of testing on climbing gear. Like they'll take down anchors that have been used for few years in climbing areas and pull them to destruction to see what real world does to gear.
http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/
Jim

#128177 - 02/05/10 03:52 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

Boy, have I got a lot of gear they could test. I think I still have a Bedayn carabiner or two lurking around - just used to leash the dog - they have been retired from climbing for a decade or two.

#128194 - 02/05/10 06:04 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Dryer]
Eric Offline

The rain stopped so I did a little testing. Note: I'm 5' 11" and weigh 158#. I strung my Hennessy hammock between two trees 12' 6" apart with a Dynafor electronic load cell, set to record peak load, in the foot end suspension line. I tensioned the lines the way I usually do which is snug but not pulled tight. That measured 5" of sag. I then climbed in a bit less gently than a normally do and bounced around a little. The peak load was 180#. Then I pulled the suspension lines as tight as I could without resorting to a truckers hitch and climbed in again. Peak load 212#. I switched to trees 17' apart and and repeated the test. Peak load with a little sag 228# and pulled up tight 254#. Granted I'm not a worst-case test load but it looks like any device with a working load rating over 600# should be good for anyone. I think I would stay away from the "key ring" biners and dog clips.

#128198 - 02/05/10 06:28 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Wow, you put a load cell on a hammock.

#128203 - 02/05/10 07:59 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
Dryer Offline

VERY good info Eric! I'm 5' 11' and 185ish, so I shoudn't max more than 250 lbs, loosly strung. Maybe I should offer other hammockers a 'tie on' on my new beener. It should hold about 15 of us. grin

#128206 - 02/05/10 08:23 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Nice! That's actually nice to know, not only from a 'biner strength persepective but from a hammock lines perspective - especially when trying to sew something light but still not likely to leave you on your butt on the ground suddenly.

Browse my pictures

#128217 - 02/05/10 10:39 PM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
not likely to leave you on your butt on the ground suddenly.

My first homemade hammock used para cord as the suspension lines. The weight rating on the cord package said 550 lbs. A test hang in the back yard dropped me flat on my back from about 18inches...just after I fell asleep! So, I don't trust paracord anymore. Any hammock suspension needs to be a quality product from a trusted maker, and a big margin for error. Not a place to skimp.

#128223 - 02/06/10 12:43 AM Re: Climbers, help me out here......Carabiner ratings. [Re: Eric]
Jimshaw Offline

Thanks Eric
its always interesting to compare the theoretical to the measured. I guess for one thing you make sort of a banana shape not a triangle and I wonder what the angle of the dangle worked out to be in your tests. The measured forces should have been higher. Was you rope a stretch or non-stretch type?
Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum