Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127751 - 01/31/10 10:16 PM FYI-Declination
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
For those of you still using a compass, an easy to use website-
http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

#127760 - 02/01/10 06:53 AM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
That is interesting. What is really scary is that it immediately opened up with my location. Sometimes it scares me how much my computer and and various sites know about me.

#127763 - 02/01/10 10:27 AM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Interesting...I should look at that more. When I flew in the 70'-80's, we were negative dec. around here. We're now positive by almost 11 degs in that time.
I don't bother with declination unless I'm out in featureless territory (ocean/big lake, deep woods) and neither of my favorite compasses are adjustable for declination. In fact, one has no markings at all except a N/S line. ;-)

#127775 - 02/01/10 03:48 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: GrumpyGord]
TomD Offline

GG, The site server reads your IP address and puts up the declination for where that is. Using my new GPS, I was able to see that the IP address location was a few miles up the road, probably at some switch somewhere in the system. My ISP is my phone company, so that's my guess. If you have cable, it's probably where the cable servers are, not your actual house address.

#127778 - 02/01/10 04:33 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By TomD
GG, The site server reads your IP address and puts up the declination for where that is. Using my new GPS, I was able to see that the IP address location was a few miles up the road, probably at some switch somewhere in the system. My ISP is my phone company, so that's my guess. If you have cable, it's probably where the cable servers are, not your actual house address.

Frequenly those "geo-location" IP address things are off by a long way, so unless you can put it your *actual* location I wouldn't trust the answer you get. They're often going by the owners of netblocks and where companies are headquartered, etc. Sometimes they are very accurate and sometimes they are off by a *looooong* way.. (I have IP's in Edmonton that show up as being in Toronto in some of them..)

Browse my pictures

#127782 - 02/01/10 05:01 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
I'd take the results with a grain of salt. At my location the site returned 15deg 39min, the latest USGS topo (1989)says 17deg 30min and when I measured it last summer (compass transit pointed at Polaris)I got just under 20deg...

#127802 - 02/01/10 08:18 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: Eric]
TomD Offline

1989 is way out of date-that was 20 years ago, so the current dec sounds right to me.

This NOAA website is even better-
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/struts/calcDeclination

You can set the year and see not only the dec for that year, but the rate of change as well, which isn't constant.

The dec in my GPS is from 1990 and it is decreasing at a rate of 5'W per year. In 1990 it was 14 and decreasing at only 1' per year.

Now my dec is 12 Deg 45', so it has changed by 1 Deg, 15' W in 20 years. The rate of change will also depend on where you are.

Edited by TomD (02/01/10 08:56 PM)

#127804 - 02/01/10 08:25 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: Eric]
phat Offline

actually be careful I bet it's accurate!

that critter moves!

the results on the site for my area agree with the canadian govenment calculator - 16.5 degrees east. Now the interesting part is I remember being taught 23 degrees east when I was a young pup - sure enough, I type in the same lat/lon in 1978 and I get *ding* 23 degrees east.. it's moved that much!

Browse my pictures

#127809 - 02/01/10 09:02 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
This is one reason I prefer the compass in my GPS that points to true north.
Jim

#127815 - 02/01/10 09:23 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

My compass points true north. because I set the declination dial on it correctly.

Your GPS points whatever direction was true north at your lat/long when they programmed your software. It can be years out of date.. doesn't matter too much - but trust me, you're at the mercy of some bozo who coded up the declination.
Browse my pictures

#127847 - 02/02/10 06:33 AM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: TomD]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I know where it is coming from. It just surprises me from time to time at how much information is available to others without me telling them. I also am kind of surprised from time to time when I order something on the phone and the person on the order desk asks if want that charged to the same card I used last time and do I want it shipped to the same address even though I have not given them that information. It is tied in to caller ID. Some of us old frogs just remember dial phones, typewriters, slide rules etc and from time to time we realize how much the world has changed in our life time.

#127898 - 02/02/10 08:29 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

phat
"Your GPS points whatever direction was true north at your lat/long when they programmed your software. It can be years out of date.. doesn't matter too much - but trust me, you're at the mercy of some bozo who coded up the declination."

I'm not sure of that Bob. I am about 100% sure that there is no magnetic flux gate in the GPS so it can only point to "grid north" unless its told to find "magnetic north, in which case it could be off for the reasons you state. It cannot sense magnetism.
Jim

#127899 - 02/02/10 08:31 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: GrumpyGord]
Jimshaw Offline

Grumpgord
Sliderulers? Hey my slide ruler points true north fer sure. Got it right here partner... smile
jim

#127905 - 02/02/10 08:52 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Hmm. indeed you're right.. Mea Culpa. I guess they don't have an electonic compass in them -

I suppose it's fun to watch the GPS people do their little turn in circles three times thing like a dog going to sleep to calibrate it. I should enjoy that more..

Or maybe I'm channelling Rancid Crabtree or Retch Sweeny now wink

Browse my pictures

#127938 - 02/03/10 02:08 AM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

phat

I took my GPS outside with compass set to True and walked due north and then held a magnet up to it and then turned the magnet and there was no change in the readout. I then set the GPS compass to mag and walked the same path and held the magnet up to it and there was no change. The Garmin Foretrex101 cannot sense magnetic flux, however when I set it to Mag it read 17, so I guess the "usr" setting would allow me to enter a magnetic deviation. 17 degrees is no longer accurate here. So why do you have to rotate the GPS to calibrate the compass?
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (02/03/10 03:21 PM)

#128127 - 02/04/10 08:31 PM Re: FYI-Declination [Re: GrumpyGord]
TomD Offline

Gord, I remember all that stuff. Had a slide rule in junior high school. Nerd tech at the time. Now my phone has far more computing power than the computer NASA had in the Apollo and moon landers. We could go on, but things have definitely changed.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum