Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127417 - 01/26/10 02:45 PM Mora
alexsupertramp Offline

Loc: new jersey
I searched but couldnt find anything that helped me, im in the market for a mora but was looking for one of full tang design. i was wondering what models you guys suggest. i want something relatively small and light prob like in the 3in to 4in range and saftey orange if it could be had. anyone know which models by frost or erikson* have full tangs?

Also if you guys could help me out with blade composition that would be great i know the difference between stainless and carbon but what is laminated? and which overall would you suggest for a novice knife guy and repeated backwoods abuse? im leanin towards stainless but am in need of some seasoned advice

Edited by alexsupertramp (01/26/10 02:49 PM)

#127424 - 01/26/10 05:09 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia

#127425 - 01/26/10 05:29 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Unless I am sadly mistaken, Mora knives have a full tang; most of them do not have a full scaled handle. You are probably confusing a full tang with a scaled handle.

A full tang is an extension of the blade that is narrower than the blade but extends the full length of the handle and is often bent over at the end of the handle. They are made several ways: most common is simply drilling a tang-sized hole in the handle and then epoxying the tang into the hole. My preference is to split the handle block into two uncarved scales and then closely inlet the tang. Once the tang is inletted, the blade is epoxied into place at the same time the scales are epoxied together. Done properly, there is no perceptible glue line and the grain matches across the glue line.

Below are two photos of a full-tang Mora-type knife that I recently made. The handle is velvet mesquite, the sheath is cowhide. I bought the blade blank. It is a laminated blade with a carbon steel core and stainless exterior. The carbon steel core will hold an edge better than any stainless yet it is protected by the stainless exterior. The tang on this knife extends completely through the handle. The blade is 3.5" long. The first photo shows both the knife and sheath; the second shows the glue line on the bottom of the handle.

A scaled handle is based on a knife blade with a handle shaped extension of the blade. Scales are pinned and glued to this extension together with bolsters and other appliances. When this type of knife is finished, the steel blade extension is visible all the way around the handle and there are generally 4-6 pins showing around the handle. Go here for a photo of a knife blank for a full scale handle.

http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AKCA

The full tang knife is lighter and almost as robust as a knife with a scaled handle. To me, the only advantage of the scaled handle is that it is somewhat easier to continue to use this type of knife if the handle comes off; an unlikely event with a well-made knife.

Note added later. I have just looked at several knife supply catalogs. Some of them use the term "full tang" to describe what I call a scaled handle. They use the term "hidden tang" to describe what I call a full (length) tang. So, I apologize to the OP for thinking that he was confused about terminology: it appears that I was the one who was confused.

Edited by Pika (01/27/10 10:51 AM)

#127458 - 01/27/10 10:30 AM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have a Mora 780, 911, and 711. I will definitely buy some more. They are great knives. Pika did a good job explaining the laminated blade. But, remember that the stainless from Mora, or other Scandinavian knife makers is a very high quality, hard stainless that holds an edge very well. The high carbon will still hold a better edge, but if you compare the mora stainless with other more common knives, the mora would be better. I believe it is called Sandvik something or other.

Here is a site with more info. Nordic Knives

Here is were I bought my knives. Safe Zone I would recommend the 640 or 521 with what you described as what you want.

#127462 - 01/27/10 11:42 AM Re: Mora [Re: finallyME]
alexsupertramp Offline

hey guys thanks so much for info, Pika thats exacty what i was wondering about the laminated blade. those sights you guys posted are awesome as well. just one more question i know that the mora sheaths are praised or despised (mostly despised) but alot of people but they look like theyre not to bad to me only a bit ugly. FinallyMe are the models you suggested supplied with the rotating belt clip sheath( the newer model from what i read) or the older belt loop style? and furthermore does the knife clip into either of these sheaths so that it wont slide out? id like the option to mount the knife upside down and the security knowing i wont lose it. if not any reputable kydex sheath makers around? thanks so much guys really helped alot.

Nm i answered my own question haha the 911 is lookin like the one i want, its got the swiveling belt clip any complaints on FinallyME? sheath or knife?

Edited by alexsupertramp (01/27/10 11:45 AM)

#127470 - 01/27/10 04:38 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
Franco Offline

Alex
I have the 2000. Kind of a "safe" choice. The sheath works well, it's hard,grips the knife so it does not fall off but very fast to remove the knife from. It has the leather loop. I like the very grippy handle, feels soft, very safe. I use a Lanski kit to sharpen it.
Franco

#127473 - 01/27/10 05:57 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
finallyME Offline

With the three I have, they came with three different sheaths. The 780 came with a sheath that I didn't like, similar to the 760. It is a pain to put the knife in, it doesn't hold it very well (I can shake it out) and it diggs in my side when I put it on my belt. I like the 911 sheath. It has the swivel thing. I also can't shake it out. But that has to do with the handle being rubber. I think it would fall out if you used it as a neck knife and hung it upside down, but I haven't tried it out yet. When I get home, I will try and really see if it will stay in good for upside down carry.

#127505 - 01/28/10 12:13 PM Re: Mora [Re: finallyME]
alexsupertramp Offline

anyone own a 440? i like the sheath and the handle and blade length looks just right, anyone know if its tang runs the length of handle or is it similar to the clipper/craftsman series?

#127516 - 01/28/10 04:26 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
finallyME Offline

All the Mora's have the same tang length. As far as I understand.

Edited by finallyME (01/28/10 04:26 PM)

#127520 - 01/28/10 04:40 PM Re: Mora [Re: finallyME]
Franco Offline

FinallyMw
No offence, but is it really so hard to hit a link provided WITHIN this thread ?

#127524 - 01/28/10 05:49 PM Re: Mora [Re: Franco]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By Franco
FinallyMw
No offence, but is it really so hard to hit a link provided WITHIN this thread ?

My apologies. I was way wrong. I should have clicked your link Franco. Now, to the original question. I don't have the 440, nor have I x-rayed it. But, it is made by the same company as the craftsman/clipper series', so take whatever guesses you want with that.

#127526 - 01/28/10 06:20 PM Re: Mora [Re: finallyME]
Franco Offline

FinallyMe
Well, just to annoy you I am sending you this. Suffer.

For Alex, maybe the 740 Carbon (in safety orange) could be the one. (Mora and Frost are the same company now) I am not sure now how I ended up choosing the 2000, but that is what I have. The Carbon blade on my Opinel is certainly easier to sharpen but needs to be done more often.
Franco
Yesterday I posted two other links (not here..) that provided a picture in each that clearly answered the question. Both were ignored. Grrrr...

#127527 - 01/28/10 06:22 PM Re: Mora [Re: Franco]
finallyME Offline

Yesterday I posted two other links (not here..) that provided a picture in each that clearly answered the question. Both were ignored. Grrrr...

Well...hopefully I learned my lesson.

#127530 - 01/28/10 07:03 PM Re: Mora [Re: finallyME]
alexsupertramp Offline

franco do you mean frost and erikson? mora is a style/ line of knives not a company and i like the saftey orange for sure.
And i looked at your original post when you first posted it, it was very helpful but it didnt help me with the 440 question lol

FinallyMe thank you very much for the all the help i shall be purchasing my very first mora tom, i think im gonna go with a yellow 440 but we shall see ill keep you guys updated on it maybe we could get a little mora database goin on this thread for others confused about moras haha

Edited by alexsupertramp (01/28/10 07:07 PM)

#127533 - 01/28/10 07:10 PM Re: Mora [Re: Franco]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
FinallyMe
Well, just to annoy you I am sending you this. Suffer.

Geez, I could have used that last week in Tasmania.. I'm just imagining how many pots of mussels and bottles of Boags it would have bought me wink
Browse my pictures

#127534 - 01/28/10 07:15 PM Re: Mora [Re: alexsupertramp]
Franco Offline

Yes, sorry. Frost and Eriksson.
Just like those two "Swiss Army" knives that are also combined.. (Wenger and Victorinox)
Franco
And I am glad that Phat has discovered that Foster is not the beer we drink here...

#127555 - 01/28/10 11:34 PM Re: Mora (Russell?) [Re: phat]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I have a Finnish Mora style knife W/ a laminated blade of hard & soft steel. But I love my Canadian Russell trout model knife for its ergonomic design. It has a Mora-type sheath.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum