Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116389 - 05/22/09 09:47 AM What GPS to buy?
NorCalGuy Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California
Hello all,

So what is your favorite GPS? I am a noob backpacker and still learning here. I took the REI GPS basics course last night and checked out a few different GPS models. I was told that a lot of those new iPhone looking Garmins are really just for looks, but nothing else good about them. Is there a particular model you guys would suggest? Right now I am leaning towards the DeLorme PN40…

What I am looking for in a GPS:
1. I am going to be using it for backpacking only (deep woods eventually)
2. I want a color screen (Hopefully topographical)
3. Needs to run off AA or AAA batteries, no rechargeable stuff please.

Idea? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help all!!!

#117326 - 06/16/09 02:35 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
ekitowski Offline

Loc: WI
I've been backpacking for several years and have always relied upon a traditional paper map and compass. Got a GPS unit with my REI dividend and didn't know what else to spend it on. Wanted one of the Garmin oregon units but they were out of my price range. Was a toss up between the DeLorme PN-40 and a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx based on customer reviews. I eventually went with the DeLorme. What sold me were the maps that are available. Both units got good reviews, but I wanted more bang for the buck in the map department. However, consider that the Garmin eTrex can get up to 25 hrs on a pair of batteries. I won't get even half that with the PN-40 on regular alkalines. Haven't tried lithiums yet. There are DeLorme forums that talk about ways to get more battery life out of the unit. I haven't checked those out, but I assume turning the screen brightness down and turning the altimeter off are options.

I've used the DeLorme for some Geocaching and a bunch of hiking. Has worked great for both. A complaint, though minor, is that it's been taking up to 2-3 minutes to get a satellite lock. Don't know if that's normal.

I may also look into solar battery chargers for long backpacking trips so I don't have to carry a ton of AAs. That being said, you'd always want to carry a paper map and compass.

It's easily viewed in sunlight as well. All in all, I'm happy with my PN-40. Hope this helps.

#117350 - 06/17/09 08:23 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I would look at the technical specifications to see if you can see what chipset is used, i.e., SiRFStar III, or Qualcomm MSM7200 gpsOne. If you know the chipset you can look around and see if there are reviews of units using that chipset that either talk about problems or slow speed locking onto satellites, or ideally the reverse. I have the SiRFStar III chipset in my smartphone, and it does a good job of locking on fairly quickly under tree cover. Maybe all models sold today will do so, dunno ...

My recollection is that some GPS models don't (or at least once didn't) work with lithium batteries; this is something I'd want, particularly if you anticipate using it in cold weather.

If buying based on maps that come with it, be careful about the scale of maps included. A friend got a gps (Garmin Colorado I think?) partly based on it having all of the US included, but these were 1:100,000 scale maps. I infrequently like having the ability to see this higher-level (less detailed) view, but I almost always look at maps (printed and on my phone/gps) at a 1:25,000 scale, and to get that level of resolution my friend had to purchase the maps (they're not cheap, either).

Edited by BrianLe (06/17/09 08:25 AM)

#117368 - 06/17/09 03:48 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: ekitowski]
Whitefoot Offline

Loc: Connecticut
+1 on the PN-40.

ekitowski, I have sometimes had issues with it taking a while to get a lock, but it usually pops right on, about 6 seconds or so...And yes lithium batteries, power saving measures, etc....all are effective in different ways, but I don't constantly use mine (meaning I don't turn it on at the trailhead and leave it on till I get to the end) unless I am using it in the car, so I haven't had any issues with the batteries not being sufficient.

The eTrex legend is a great little device too, if minimal in terms of maps and such...
But in the end no GPS will ever take the place of compass and good map. A good GPS unit WILL, however, simplify finding specific destinations, help morale sometimes ('hey guys, we only have x number of miles to go!') and they will also be useful in helping you make sense of a poor map.....

#117958 - 07/03/09 03:04 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
Geo Offline

Loc: 45 South
Garmin Etrex...but regardless of make, carry a map and compass and know how to use them! wink

#118014 - 07/04/09 03:27 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I really think you should consider the garmin foretrex.
Jim

#122604 - 10/19/09 10:23 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Another vote for the foretrex - the 101 which I believe is the unit which uses disposable batteries.

Always carry a map (and know how to use it). I have used a GPS professionally since 1991 and I still hike with a paper map. Way too many things can go wrong with any battery powered item.

#122649 - 10/19/09 08:48 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: BrianLe]
routerdoubter Offline

Loc: Seattle, PNWet
i use a 60csx. runs on 2 AA batteries. never had reception issues in heavy trees. fairly tough unit as well. i have this on my motorcycle when i go play in the woods. right now i have mine loaded with maps from the open street map project, and the nwtrails project. i have city navigator, but openstreet map is free and community maintained, so there may or may not be more detail in some areas. i upgraded mine a 2GB card, so plenty of storage space as well.

#123647 - 11/11/09 11:02 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I still use a Garmin eMap because it is still a "favorite" of mine. It's just an old grayscale unit but it has a larger screen than an eTrex and it's lot easier to see and use. You can get the GPS, a memory card, and lo-res topo maps for under $200 if you shop ebay. I don't know if it will run the hi-res maps. But, if money is an issue it's still a very good choice.

I'll also point out that you'll want a GPS that will take a memory card. Some of the eTrex units do not. You'll want that feature to make it easy to swap map sets. The eMap uses a proprietary "Garmin" card and they're not cheap. That's a pretty big minus.

I'm pretty sure that some of the DeLorme units are compatible with the National Geographic Topo software. That's a pretty big plus. And, I think you can use your own maps too. If I buy a newer unit I'd have to consider that in because you can download all the USGS Quad maps for free now.

"You want to go where?"

#124136 - 11/20/09 09:52 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
Jimshaw Offline

Have you looked at the Bushnel backtracker? Electronic compass with 3 waypoints for around $50 and uses 2 AAAs.
Jim

#124191 - 11/22/09 01:18 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: Jimshaw]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
I have had some intensive GPS experience as I recently (March 09) published a guide book that used GPS coords for adventure motorcycle trips in the Idaho/Nevada/Oregon desert (ask me for info in you are interested; unabashed plug here!)
I learned a couple of things as I rode all over the desert. The battery issue was a big one. I started with a simple etrex just for tracking, and looking back at where I'd been. I moved on to a Triton which is used in conjucntion with Nat Geo Topo. Its a great unit, small, with color screen and viewable topo maps. HOWEVER, any of the color screens EAT up batteries! I've gone to rechargable 2900 lithium batteries, and I can get about 10 hours depending on how much "looking" I do at the screen, beacause every time you check the screen it lights up, using more power. I've rarely used it for true backpacking, as I think the maps are actually more flexible, ie larger view area, more detail than a 2" square. I can see using a small non color GPS just for waypoint location, so you can pre-plot your off trail turning points, and then using map and compass, decide on the route once your really there. But as for having your space age GPS in hand, well, not quite to Star Trek level yet! BTW, Nat Geo Topo is superb, as you can make your own maps. I swear by adventure paper! I make maps that encompass just the areas I need, and its a great way to go.
I haven't found a way to really use one for a multi day trip that won't run you heavy with battery weight.

#124869 - 12/07/09 04:13 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: Jimshaw]
tpdwr Offline

Loc: So. California - Murrieta
I used the Garmin Foretrex 101 for several years until I lost it this summer. I replaced it with the G F 301. I think they're great.

Don

#124875 - 12/07/09 05:43 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: idahosteve]
oldranger Offline

If you are on a motorcycle, isn't there some way you can generate the juice to recharge the batteries of the GPS?

#124901 - 12/08/09 02:10 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: oldranger]
Rick1930 Offline

Loc: Pac.rim
I run my gps off the 12V system on my bike.
For hiking, there are numerous aa and aaa solar chargers available, but pay close attention to the current flow. It could take weeks to charge 4 2900mah batts. One tip is to use the same batteries for all your outdoor electronics so you can swap in a pinch.
And try to use the GPS to get a location fix, then turn it off and use maps.

#126038 - 12/29/09 05:10 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
Otis Hiker Offline

Loc: MA
just picked up a Garmin Etrex (yellow one) on eBay!...waitin for it to come in and can't wait to play with it. Also got a copy of some topo software. Figured it was the right move for me because I mainly wanted a gps just to plot where I've hiked and print out a large map to post on a wall

#127140 - 01/21/10 11:01 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: NorCalGuy]
korea Offline

Loc: Illinois
sorry I know it is a little off subject but anyone geocache?
Korea

#127157 - 01/22/10 09:48 AM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: idahosteve]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By idahosteve
BTW, Nat Geo Topo is superb, as you can make your own maps.

It damn well better be for $100 a state eh? I'm complaining about what it'd cost to get all their maps for a PCT thru-hike, but I'm so glad I'm not doing the AT because that'd be huge $$$.

#127169 - 01/22/10 02:10 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: Eugene]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I already had Nat Geo maps for OR and WA (I grew up in OR, live in WA) so when I thru-hiked I just needed to get CA. The Pocket Topo product worked okay on my smartphone; somewhat buggy but did the basics fine.

I'll attempt the AT this year, and for exactly that reason I switched products. In fact, for 14 states you don't have to buy 14 different Nat Geo products as they clump some together in sets like "New England", etc, but it's still quite a lot of money. I switched to www.memory-map.com and got their higher end product that allows import of geotiff maps. Got the geotiffs for free; can also buy all the AT set for $25 on DVD. Found an AT trail trace online and use gpsbabel to convert it to a format that memory-map could load. So some learning curves and effort and money spent, but now I can load maps for anywhere in the country for just some effort. Print them out if desired, or put them on my smartphone (with GPS).

So there are alternatives.

#127181 - 01/22/10 04:50 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: tpdwr]
Jimshaw Offline

tpdwr
why did you replace your garmin foretrex 101 with a 301? The 101 is actually lighter but has a bit more current drain 15 vs 18 hours. Aren't they pretty much the same?
Jim

#127344 - 01/25/10 07:22 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: Jimshaw]
tpdwr Offline

Jim
The 301 is supposed to have a more sensitive antenna and indeed it seems to do better in canyons. It also comes with a USB cable for transferring tracks and waypoints which works very well for me. A freshly set of charged batteries will last for a longish day(10 hours or so). I haven't actually timed a fresh set.

Don

#127412 - 01/26/10 01:09 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: tpdwr]
oldranger Offline

Looking at the Garmin website, I got the impression that the 301 uses proprietary batteries, which would seem to indicate access to a power source is necessary to recharge them. Is this correct? For me the supreme virtue of the 101 is the use of AAA batteries, the standard for my outdoor electronics gear.

I was using my 101 intensively a couple of weeks ago, getting good data mostly, but it hiccuped twice, giving clearly oddball readings. Both times I was in the bottom of a steep walled canyon with fairly heavy tree cover.

#127464 - 01/27/10 01:57 PM Re: What GPS to buy? [Re: oldranger]
tpdwr Offline

The 301 uses AAA batteries.
Don

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum