Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127163 - 01/22/10 11:05 AM realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking
energy_turtle Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm seriously considering a switch to hammock sleeping but I have no idea what I'm in for re: weight. The hammocks themselves are light (I'm looking at the Warbonnet Blackbird). My question relates to everything else...I don't know how much other gear is required to sleep warm in the colder southeastern months. We typically avoid summer and stick to fall/winter/spring, so nights in the 30s are typical.

As for gear selection, a hammock + rainfly/tarp are a given. Do I ditch my 2.9 lb 20F REI bag for a quilt? Is an underquilt required for low 30F temps? I'd like some direction on how much gear I need to buy and carry and what I can expect as far as weight is concerned. Currently I pack a SD Baku 1, REI synthetic mummy bag, and Big Anes Clearview (uninsulated) pad. It would be nice to stay at the same weight or even drop some ounces.

#127165 - 01/22/10 12:22 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: energy_turtle]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Some kind of under insulation is necessary at any temperature below 70 degrees.

A CCF pad like a Ridgerest in the hammock will keep you warm down to about 30, provided you don't move around in the night and get off the pad. However your arms will be cold where the hammock sort of wraps around you. You'll need some other pieces of pad there. You might want to look at the SPE from Speer hammocks. It's a way to keep your pad in place in a hammock.

An underquilt would be really nice at 30 degrees. It's really comfortable, better than the pad. And I think it will be competitive, perhaps even lighter than the pad. It depends on the length. JacksRBetter makes really nice full-length quilts that weigh about 21 ounces. A 3/4 or 2/3 underquilt weighs less of course. Then you just need a little something under your legs. Take a look at the Warbonnet Yeti (12.5 ounces), or the crowsnest from www.theperfecttrees.com (18 ounces). If the price of down underquilts scares you off then check out http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ for their synthetic underquilts. A little heavier (30 ounces for full length) but will do the job.

You don't need to trade in your sleeping bag for a quilt. The quilt is more convenient and a bit lighter. Getting into a bad while in a hammock can be a challenge. A top quilt is easy.

#127166 - 01/22/10 12:38 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: Heber]
energy_turtle Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
thanks...what are the go-to top quilts for the weight conscious?

#127174 - 01/22/10 03:58 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: energy_turtle]
lori Offline

I have been down to about 22-25F in my current rig.

Warbonnet Blackbird: 31 oz - I will likely prune about 7 oz off when I switch from straps to Amsteel whoopie slings.
MacCat Deluxe: 13 oz
JRB Hudson River: 20 oz x 2, underquilt and top quilt.

Total of 64 oz, about 5 lbs.

I have also used a wide Gossamer Gear evazote (1/4" thick, 41 inches wide but trimmed to about 35 and some of the length trimmed off) and a NeoAir Medium instead of the underquilt - this was my solution for a trip that included some alpine hiking and going to ground one night with the tarp pitched with a trekking pole. Temps were probably 35-40F but I would not doubt I could get to 30F. This only saved 3-4 oz over having the second quilt.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#127183 - 01/22/10 06:20 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: energy_turtle]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Warbonnet Blackbird. Mine is a 1.1 & 1.7 combination and I never use the side pull outs, but it does include 1" webbing straps - 31.1 oz.

Jacks'R'Better 8X8 tarp with all stakes and guylines and a hang line with pocket organizer - 15.8 oz.

Warbonnet Yeti underquilt - 11.1 oz.

Gossamer Gear Night Light 3 section pad - 3.6 oz.

Jacks'R'Better No Sniveller quilt - 21.2 oz.

Total = 82.2 oz or a little over 5 pounds. This the not the stripped down weight, this is full on convenience and comfort down to 30 degrees.

#127189 - 01/22/10 07:45 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: energy_turtle]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I have been down to -11*F with 15-20mph winds in my current setup. I would not suggest going out and getting all new stuff. Try out different systems in your backyard at different temp intervals to see how your stuff works for you. Use what you have right now to learn how it functions in a hammock. Add/subtract/adjust over a few seasons and soon you will learn what YOU need. I spent almost an entire fall/winter in the yard testing my stuff out and now can easily do subzero temps without blinking. Oh, in subzero temps I use pads not an underquilt.

#127196 - 01/23/10 09:13 AM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: DTape]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By DTape
Oh, in subzero temps I use pads not an underquilt.

+1, except I go to the pads below 25F.

#127204 - 01/23/10 01:10 PM Re: realistic total weight for 3-season hammocking [Re: energy_turtle]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
3 Season 25-30 F
Blackbird 1.7 DL w/ webbing 40oz
Yeti UQ 12oz
10 x 10 sil tarp 16oz
JRB Sierra Sniveller 22oz
Tarp ridgline, guy lines with tensioners, 4 stakes, biners. 10oz
6 lb 4oz

I could lighten it a few ounces by using whoopie slings and sticks for toggles, but I am happy with the ease of setup and comfort level. If use my new Incubator UQ by The Perfect Trees, I can get down to 10-20 F, but it will probably be my wifes 3 season UQ, most of the time. She likes the added warmth and the full length UQ.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum