Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127055 - 01/20/10 07:21 PM 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent?
adk40 Offline

Loc: rochester, new york
that says it all.
in the market to upgrade to larger tent.
under 8lbs
under $200? smile under $300? 300-ish?

rei carried a taj 3 at one time at 7.13lbs, $160 outlet price, 50 sq ft. is there something similar?

(dogs are labs)

thanks!

Edited by adk40 (01/20/10 07:21 PM)

#127060 - 01/20/10 10:56 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You could get all of these (plus the dogs' packs) into a 3-person Tarptent Rainshadow 2 (42 oz. if you use trekking poles; single wall; $265), or a 4-person Tarptent Hogback (65 oz.with poles included; double wall). The second is a little over your budget at $375. Unlike most American double-wall tents, you can pitch the fly first and the inner tent underneath it, thus keeping the inner tent dry in a downpour.

tarptent.com

I have the Rainshadow 2. (The "2" is the version number; it's actually a generously-sized 3-person tent.) It will hold three humans plus one dog (at the foot) with lots of room; two humans plus two dogs will have even more room (you could put one dog on each side of the tent, with the two humans in the middle)! I have no experience with the Hogback, which was new last spring.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/20/10 11:06 PM)

#127066 - 01/21/10 12:15 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Does it have to be a tent? I'm thinking about what the dogs would do to a floor of a tent. If you can go with a tarp, I think some of the larger Golite Shangri-La's could be quite spacious and yet be light.

#127073 - 01/21/10 01:48 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Eugene]

Haven't had any problems with dog claws vs. tent floor. I clip my dog's claws frequently, as short as possible. If yours like to "nest" (i.e. dig holes), though, that's a different story, and titanium might be better than silnylon!
lol

#127078 - 01/21/10 09:22 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Eugene]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Years ago we had a great backpacker companion. The Samoyed carried his own gear and food and most of the tent. It was a Eureka 4-man Timberline...specious with enough room for the three of us. We used a simple painters' drop cloth for a ground cloth but inside we used one of the heavier 'survival' blankets to cover the floor; Thermos Sportsman Blanket. That provided added insulation and eliminated any potential problems from the dog's nails.

The tent itself is one of my all time favorites. Lots of room, easy set-up, etc. It's too heavy (@~8 lbs) for my camping now (no dog to carry it) but it's style, weather bomb proofness, and cost all made it a winner for us. See it in the Campmor catalog.

FB

#127098 - 01/21/10 01:46 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Eugene]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Seconded. A teepee-type shelter would seem ideal, and GoLite has a new "5-person" ShangriLa that's only three pounds.

Cheers,

#127129 - 01/21/10 08:55 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Rick_D]
adk40 Offline

ok. i like the idea of what you all have to offer with the tarptent...

but i must say ... two dogs. what keeps them from running out in the middle of the night when they hear wildlife while i'm sleeping? they're fabulous when i'm awake staying close to me - but sleeping? no idea.

#127131 - 01/21/10 10:01 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
what keeps them from running out in the middle of the night when they hear wildlife while i'm sleeping?

The door zipped up ?
Franco

#127134 - 01/21/10 10:20 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Or leash them to the center pole. Then you'll know the moment your dogs make a run for it.

#127145 - 01/21/10 11:40 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Eugene]

If your dogs are crate trained, there should be no problem. My dog Hysson considers the tent just another crate--he curls up and goes to sleep when he gets inside (after I make it clear that my sleeping bag and air pad are NOT his bed!). I wouldn't recommend going off and leaving them in the tent, though--it might be the end of the tent!

With a tarp or a pyramid, you could tie them to something. Maybe you! Or you could take a stake (let the dogs carry it). Again, I wouldn't go off and leave them.

#127158 - 01/22/10 09:52 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: OregonMouse]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
The first couple times we took our dog camping I'd leash him to a tree while we set up camp. He didn't like that much and sometimes would be vocal about it. One thing I won't do is have a barking dog in the wilderness... frown But we soon learned to set up the tent immediately. As soon as it was the doggie took himself inside and curled up. After a day on the trail and missed naps he was delighted to be inside this 'den.' No straying...no noise...and we were free to leisurely do whatever we had to do... YDMV laugh

FB

#127159 - 01/22/10 10:20 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Franco]
adk40 Offline

didn't think the tarptent zipped closed.

they're fine in a zipped up tent all night.

#127160 - 01/22/10 10:22 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Fiddleback]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I bring her (see avatar) 20 ft steel cable (she carries it) for around camp. She is used to it, and as long as she can see us, she doesn't cry. Some times I let her run around, and sometimes it is nice to be able to tie her with no worries. If you tie your dog inside the tent, I would tie to a person (around the waist, not neck wink ). I doubt anything else would keep the dog from running, if the dog wanted too. If you leave your dog, leave it outside. Just make sure there is shade, water and maybe a pad to lay on.

#127180 - 01/22/10 04:45 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Sorry, I was just having a bit of fun because it was obvious that you were not familiar with the features..
However about the only Tarptent that I would recommend for you is the Hogback. That one is a 4 person shelter but was actually designed to fit two adults, a child and a dog... but it is $375 . You get less (weight :4 lbs !) for more money.
Have a look at some of the tents here :
http://www.campsaver.com/itemlist.asp?Cc=tents%5F3p
Maybe the Sierra Design XT3, two pounds lighter than the REI version, or the larger , cheaper but heavier Meteor Light 3.
Franco

#127235 - 01/24/10 08:33 AM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: Franco]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
We used a Rainshadow for several years for three people plus gear. The latest version would work well for two people plus two dogs plus gear, and it's only 2.5 pounds. (Well, some of this depends on the dogs -- if you have two Great Danes, maybe not so much.)

#127431 - 01/26/10 08:00 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: kbennett]
adk40 Offline

Ok - you all have great ideas and thank you soooo much!!!

... most are trending toward the tarptent. i'm hesitant. i think because it feels so open. i'm a single girl who camps a bit alone with her dogs.

these below are pretty heavy (and maybe i'm justifying it with losing weight with my pack) ... but i'm hoping for the following:

- it rains 1/2 the time i camp - so big enough to for hanging out in alone with dogs or with peeps.
- space space space, light as i can get without crazy cost

these aren't all that light, but i'm also weighing space & price point (so i wont cry if the dogs rip it ... 2 boy labs)

kelty ouray
rei halfdome
marmot aeros 3p
sierra design anu

thoughts? keep looking? and thanks again for all your help!

Edited by adk40 (01/26/10 08:01 PM)

#127439 - 01/26/10 10:37 PM Re: 2 people, 2 dogs, 2 packs - lightweight tent? [Re: adk40]

Tarptents are not much more open than the standard double-wall. They are fully enclosed tents. A better description is "lightweight single-wall tent" since "Tarptent" is a brand name.

I'm also a female who goes solo (except for the dog) and have no problems with me and my dog in a single-wall tent. I far prefer it to a double-wall!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum