Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126923 - 01/17/10 06:05 PM Tarptent contrail vs moment
Colindo Offline

Loc: United States
I'm currently in the market for a new tent. I plan on getting a one person for myself. I need the tent for the Rockys (I go to school in Boulder, CO) and the Sierras (My Dad lives in the Tahoe area and I plan on doing the JMT this summer). It is important that I have a light tent and that it packs small. Tarptent fits these characteristics, but im a little worried about how they do in weather.

The two that I like the most is the contrail and the moment. I like the contrail mostly because it packs ridiculously small. Plus it seems like a good price. Im just worried that it wont stand up to heavy winds, colder temperatures, and rain that are so common in the high mountains of colorado and california.

The moment seems like it would be better in rain and wind. The only downside is that it doesnt pack quite as small as the contrail.

I'm not looking for a 4 season tent. Just a simple dent that will hold up to the summer weather in the high mountains. I have read hundreds of good reviews on tarptent and few bad reviews. Let me know what you guys think between the contrail and moment.

Thanks

#126935 - 01/18/10 12:11 AM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
CWF Offline

The Moment, based on it's shape, will do better in truly windy conditions. It also has a side entry, which is convenient for most.

Personally, I found the Contrail flappy, hard to pitch because of excessive mesh on one side (but not the other) which sat on the ground (quality control issue), lacked usable space, had zero snow load ability, and rear struts that sank in the wet ground. I also had water penetration through the floor and 'misting' from the canopy.

For the Rockies, where I am, I would look at the various 'Mids' from Mountain Laurel Designs. You can get a Solo Mid which will do as well or better than the Moment in the wind (and snow). Add a bug inner tent with floor and it will be 1/2 pound less as well. You will need trekking poles, however.

#126949 - 01/18/10 03:42 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
Not sure how helpful this information would be for you but here it is. I started using a straight light tarp about a year ago and I love it!. It is not a fancy 'tarp tent' like what you are asking about, but rather just a lightweight tarp, and one small ground cover.

In moderate weather I just set it up as a lean-too using my trekking poles, and sets up in just a minuet or two. Just tilt it to block the wind and if there is light rain, and you will be surprised how warm it will keep you.

In heavy rain what I will do is put my ground cover down and then just lay the tarp over my bag and head, if winds are heavy sometimes stack it down. Since my ground tarp is smaller then the tarp water typically does not get inside.

In winter when snow is available i found what works really well is making 3 snow walls or 4 if it is really cold and just spreading the tarp over the top for a roof. This has kept my extremely warm before, but have not tried it while it is snowing very heavy, it may cave in if not properly stacked then.

All in all if you just use you're imagination there seems to always be a way to set up a tarp & trekking poles to make a suitable shelter for all standard weather. If you are going to be in very adverse situations i'm not sure about how well it will do as i have not used mine in any monsoons or blizzards yet.

#126972 - 01/18/10 11:24 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: RogerB]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I agree with RogerB. I love my simple sil nylon tarp also. I have set it up lean-to style in some heavy down pours and remained quite dry. However, I am thinking about going back to a tent just because of the mosquitos. I need a way for my dog and I to get away from the pests.

Howie

#126991 - 01/19/10 09:34 AM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Howie]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
I generally don't have too many problems with bugs. If they are light i just deal with them till i go to sleep and will just put my head into my bad. I they are really heavy I will generally find some cat-tails to burn in a small fire and that thins them out.

In the cases that neither on of those work and I am very desperate to get away from them I just take the trek poles out and let the tarp lay on top of me.

#126997 - 01/19/10 03:38 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
There are strategies for making the Contrail handle wind better, but indeed the Moment is almost certainly going to be better in wind.

I think it depends on how flexible you can be in dealing with the wind. If at higher elevations and you expect a lot of wind that you can't avoid (via lee slope of a hill, vegetation, etc) then likely the small extra weight hit for the Moment would be worth taking.

Since I already own a Contrail, I just try to avoid really exposed, windy campsites; this has rarely been an issue. A couple of times that it has I've found already-constructed rock half walls to pitch behind. Often a willingness to walk another mile or two and look for an alternate site (and not fixate on camping at a place with water or a view) will help a lot.

#126999 - 01/19/10 05:38 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Howie]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's why I use a Tarptent (in my case, the Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic). I need a bug-free space for both me and my dog. By the time you add to a tarp a groundsheet for two, a lightweight bivy to protect the sleeping bag from splash and netting big enough for two, you have as much weight as the lighter single-wall tents. There's also the consideration that my dog thinks of my tent as a crate, so he curls up contentedly inside. I'm of course not about to test that attitude by going off and leaving him in the tent, though!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/19/10 05:38 PM)

#127029 - 01/20/10 01:02 AM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: CWF]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I had a Contrail for 3 summers and liked it. However wind was a bit of a problem and I was going to add a 6" triangular ripstop tieout point midway along the uper side seam on both sides. But I never did because this summer I sold it and bought a Moment.

For a few ounces more the Moment has what I feel are better features than the Contrail.

1. Much better in wind. Slept at Arapaho Pass in the Indian Peaks range this Oct. in 35-45 mph. winds with NO flapping.

2. Better vestibule in the Momment. I could store my pack in the vestibule to the left of the inside door and cook in the vestibule right in front of the inner door out of the wind.

3. Even better ventilation than the Contrail and much more useable situp room than the Contrail.

4. Faster setup than the Contrail (No fussing getting it tight.)

5. Less chance of windblown rain entering. The end triangular vents can be FULLY covered from the inside when desired, just as the two roof vents can be Velcroed shut if needed.

6. I dunno for sure but just by the design I'd bet the Moment can handle an unexpected snowstorm a lot better than the Contrail.

Them's my observations from owning both tents.

Eric

#127031 - 01/20/10 01:50 AM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: 300winmag]
Colindo Offline

how much bigger is the moment packed away compared to the contrail?

#127039 - 01/20/10 12:54 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
CWF Offline

I would like to see the Contrail retired and the Sublite in Silnylon with a vestibule take it's place. Henry - are you listening? thanks

#127044 - 01/20/10 02:56 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
The Moment is about the same size packed as the Contrail EXCEPT that you have to pack the aluminum tubing arch pole separately if you want to keep the tent stuff sack small. That's not a problem. Just put it outside, on the side of your pack, bottom end in a side pouch. Wrap the pole sections together with a rubber band and strap or tie the folded pole to your pack.

And that 2 oz. of extra weight for the Moment over the Contrail is offset by only having to carry 2 stakes for it, not the minimum 4 stakes the Contrail rquires.

Eric

#127127 - 01/21/10 08:26 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: 300winmag]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My "Moment" just arrived in the mail! I have a few questions. What are those little tabs at the head and foot areas for? There are no equivilent tabs to raise the floor. Or do I need to add string myself? Also looks to me that I will need to add 4 stakes for the corners. Mine only came with 2 stakes (hope this is not an error).

The tent is really too big for me. That is a problem with all tents. I sure wish someone would make a "short" tent. The tent is light, however, I worry about the large footprint needed. I will not be able to set this up in tight spaces.

I will keep the tent and give it a try. I really like the overall design. This tent is primarily for the Sierra where I only need bug protection and short-duration rain protection. I will give it a good trial this summer!

#127203 - 01/23/10 01:06 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: wandering_daisy]
Dragon Offline

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have a Contrail, so know what it's like. I was glad to hear from someone that has direct experience with both tents. Now I have a better idea what I can expect with a Moment, from someone who knows. Thanks for responding to this thread.

P.S.— Maybe someone can start a thread about "Moment vs. Scarp".

#127240 - 01/24/10 12:24 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Dragon]
Colindo Offline

how do you like your contrail?

I think im going to go with the moment. I think the design will hold up in weather better and it is still light and compact.

Thanks for all the help

#127332 - 01/25/10 05:25 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Wandering Daisy
Pretty sure that the Moment is shipped with two pegs because that is all you need for mild weather (isn't that clever , two pegs only ?)
But of course you can, and should, add a few more.
The first thing I would do, would be to add the optional guylines on the main pole. That works very well with this type of design. Once installed wind direction should not matter at all.
Not sure, but I think that the little tabs you are referring to are for the end vents, when opened up (?)
Anyway, I love my Contrail but the Moment is a very clever design for not much more weight.
Franco

#128975 - 02/16/10 06:49 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: 300winmag]
hikenc9
Unregistered

Originally Posted By 300winmag
The Moment is about the same size packed as the Contrail EXCEPT that you have to pack the aluminum tubing arch pole separately if you want to keep the tent stuff sack small. That's not a problem. Just put it outside, on the side of your pack, bottom end in a side pouch. Wrap the pole sections together with a rubber band and strap or tie the folded pole to your pack.

And that 2 oz. of extra weight for the Moment over the Contrail is offset by only having to carry 2 stakes for it, not the minimum 4 stakes the Contrail rquires.

Eric

The tarptent's pack size is listed as 20 x 4. Is that just because of the arched pole? If you take that out it should be around 14 x 4?

#131187 - 03/24/10 01:28 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
hikenc9
Unregistered

I just received my tarptent moment and I can't wait to try it out next week. To all with experience with this tent, has anyone had any problems with punctures or tears to the floor? Does the material of the floor hold up well in the field or should a ground sheet or footprint be used?

#131202 - 03/24/10 05:14 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: ]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've been using silnylon tents for 6 years now with no problems. That includes a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo with the extra lightweight floor (tent now owned by phat). I've never used a ground sheet, never had any issues, even with my dog sleeping inside (although I do keep his claws trimmed frequently).

It is important (with any tent, IMHO) to remove sticks, pine cones, rocks from the area on which you'll be putting the tent. These are hard on any floor, to say nothing of you if you're sleeping on top of them.

If you feel you must use a groundsheet (which you probably do if you'll be camping on mud), then a thin sheet of plastic (painters dropcloth) will do just fine. Just be sure to trim it so it is 2" in from the edge of the floor. You don't want moisture coming off the tent landing on the groundcloth and funneled under the floor!

#131215 - 03/24/10 07:30 PM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Definitely agree with The Oregon Mouse.
Franco
(I don't use one but that is my choice)

#131238 - 03/25/10 08:06 AM Re: Tarptent contrail vs moment [Re: Colindo]
hikenc9
Unregistered

Sounds good; thanks a bunch!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum