Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126513 - 01/08/10 01:44 PM Carry a Machete?
Broadway Offline

Loc: Western NC
Does a Machete make your list of gear? Or does the weight put it in the "excessive" catagory?

I'm a land surveyor, and I've got one on my hip constantly for work, and carry one with me while I hike/camp.

Just started thinking it might be overkill.

Do you carry a axe, or a machete? Or just make due with a knife?

#126514 - 01/08/10 01:58 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Broadway]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Machete: Never.

Camping near a guy with a machete: Never. (This as a result of an encounter with a fellow with slightly glazed-over eyes and a tightly-sealed tent in July, who asked us a couple of questions about gear before exclaiming, "This machete is AWESOME!" as he half-staggered toward his next tree-victim. We decided to hike a couple more miles before camping.)

Axe: Not for the last 25 years or so. I carried a small one in my early camping days, when I used cooking fires. However, after I got my first non-Sterno stove, I retired the axe; a few years later, when I realized that fires are way too much like a chore, I quit lighting fires, too.

Having said that, I'll also add that I do not do any bushwhacking or trail work; I stick to traveled trails in the Eastern US. If I did a lot of off-trail hiking, or was hiking in an area that I knew was overgrown, or was helping to establish a trail, I could see where an axe or machete could come in handy. Of course, if everyone who went off-trail used one freely...

But for recreational backpacking, I never feel anything close to the need for either.

Edited by Glenn (01/08/10 02:14 PM)

#126516 - 01/08/10 02:39 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Glenn]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By Glenn
"This machete is AWESOME!"

So that's all I have to do to camp privately eh? Gotta find my machete...

#126517 - 01/08/10 03:04 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Broadway]
Ender Offline

Loc: ME
Nope... don't carry either. Of course, I don't usually hike in areas where these are really necessary. If I was hiking in, say, Alaska, i'd probably bring one.

I also don't do much hiking in the winter. If I did, I would for sure carry one of those.

But here in NE in the 3 seasons, I don't need either of those.

#126518 - 01/08/10 03:05 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Eugene]
Ender Offline

Loc: ME
Originally Posted By Eugene
Originally Posted By Glenn
"This machete is AWESOME!"

So that's all I have to do to camp privately eh? Gotta find my machete...

Huh... that's a really good idea actually! I can fake (yeah... fake... he he he) crazy really easily.

#126520 - 01/08/10 03:24 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Eugene]
Glenn Offline

The glazed-over eyes and the (possibly)chemically-induced stagger are also a must.

#126523 - 01/08/10 03:58 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Broadway]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
The subject of machetes comes up ever year. I take care of a nature preserve and for trail maint., machetes aren't allowed. They tend to leave a mess of trimmed branches and more than one volunteer has managed to gash themselves. We use lopers, both long and short handled for trimming. For backpacking, machetes are even more useless unless you are hacking through soft tropical jungle....which we don't see around here. The things are best left at home.

#126529 - 01/08/10 06:24 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Dryer]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Dryer, agreed. Machetes are pretty much worthless for trail work. I once tried to reopen a rarely used trail in the spring, and the machete didn't do a damn thing except make me tired. Oh wait, I think it knocked a couple leaves loose.

#126538 - 01/08/10 09:55 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Ender]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Would a big fake plastic one work as well if you really acted sort of nutty? crazy

I remember one time some guys hiked five mile into a wilderness and pitched their tent 2 feet from mine, I guess when they saw me wearing BDUs and carrying a .45 on a web belt they decided to leave - quickly I might add.
Jim

#126539 - 01/08/10 10:20 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Yeah, a little "nutty" goes a long way in campsite avoidance. wink

#126554 - 01/09/10 05:11 AM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Broadway]
frediver Offline

I have on occasion packed a 12in Machete, not often but it was less weight than an axe.

#126556 - 01/09/10 10:22 AM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I've done a fair amount of bushwacking over the years, including a good bit in chaparral and manzanita. It is much easier to slip through the vegetation (there is a kind of zen involved) than to get out a tool and whack the poor little bushes. If you are clearing out a trail, good pruning shears and a lightweight saw are effective gadgets.

War story time. We once had occasion to clear a LZ so a helicopter could come and retrieve the body of a frozen hiker - the alternative was a long operation - getting a stretcher crew up the hill and a long, arduous, even potentially hazardous day.

Smack in the middle of our clearing sat this lovely 6-8 inch diameter pinyon tree, just perfect for a rappel anchor - nice and stout. I started to chip away at it with a very small hatchet I carried. One of my companions averred that we could just uproot the tree. The three of us went to work with a will and actually topple the poor pinyon, thereby allowing the helo to come in and solve our problem. I was really surprised - the tree could have been such a good rappel anchor.

Motivation is the best tool of all.

#127005 - 01/19/10 07:01 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: Broadway]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
Never been into 'em. I've got one, family heirloom, but I never use it. That means, in my line of work where a certain amount of vegetation management is involved. As others have said, if any trail maintenance, veg. management, pruning is needed, there are the right tools for that. (I've got them all.) But it never occurred to me to bring anything but a pocket saw on a recreational trip, and that, only for the rare occasion when a fire is appropriate.

As a self-defense device? I don't know.

#127008 - 01/19/10 08:20 PM Re: Carry a Machete? [Re: BorealHiker]
Glenn Offline

You mention self-defense. It would at least pack one heck of an intimidation factor. Of course, there's also the old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum