Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125919 - 12/27/09 02:41 PM Teens hiking -- what planned?
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
As the Double-zeroes draw to a close, what are everyone's plans in Twenty-ten? (BTW, do the Teens 'officially' start in 2010, or 2013? Are decades like, you know, kids? confused)

packin.law.man had a great itinerary of 2010 trips planned in the post over in trip reports. What about everyone else?

My plans are far from grandiose, having limited (accrued) vacation next year, but I do plan on attempting to negotiate a 4-day work week with three mid-week days off. That way I can do several two-night trips in the Front Range starting this spring. And for vacation a tentative plan is the Wind Rivers in early September, hopefully with Wandering Daisy's (soon-to-be-published) guide in hand. And I plan on volunteering to help food, if he needs it, when he hosts the 2010 TLB Olympics at the Continental Divide this summer.

Anyone else getting a schedule together, even if they're "dream" trips?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#125926 - 12/27/09 05:28 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

My schedule at the moment is possibly a nip out to Elk Island
in the next day or two for some freezing -

Jan 16 I hit South Coast Trek in Tasmania for 8 days.

I'm going to be spending about two weeks on West Coast Trail in Vancouver island in June, doing a yo-yo from port renfrew to Bamfield and back down again (yes I'm a glutton for punishment wink

I am for certain going to be heading back to Limestone Lakes in height of the rockies provincial park in July. I Went there last summer and two nights was definately not enough time in that area, I'll be looking to spend about four up there.

Beyond that I'll probably end up on some of my usual haunts, like skyline or jonas pass. maybe some dayhiking with my wife.

By late august I might even try to do northover ridge in Kananaskis again (I have attempted this trip three times in 10 years and been weathered out every time smile

Browse my pictures

#125954 - 12/28/09 08:42 AM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Here is the planned schedule for 2010; I'll talk about executed trips later.
February-KOFA Mts., Arizona, 3 days
March-Rincon Mts., Arizona, 3 days
April- Rincon Mts., Arizona, 3 days
May- Grand Canyon, (Boucher Trail to Bright Angel Trail), Arizona, 4 days.
June- Sangre de Cristo Mts. New Mexico, 4 days
July- Sierra Nevada, California, 7 days
August/September- Sierra Nevada, California, 7 days
October-Grand Canyon (New Hance Trail), California, 4 days.
November-Big Bend NP (Chisos Mts.), Texas, 3 days.
December-Superstition Mts., Arizona, 3 days

I'll let you know later how it all worked out.

#125963 - 12/28/09 12:51 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: Pika]
Otis Hiker Offline

Loc: MA
I've had a limited list drawn up so far, but 2 overnight hikes I'd like to go on this summer would be Mt Washington and a possible trip in the Adirondacks area. I'm sure more trips will be planned and taken this summer to. Once my younger cousin graduates high school we made a serious promise of getting interested parties together and takin on the AT, but that's atleast another year or so away.

#126112 - 12/30/09 08:32 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
bearbait Offline

Loc: Cape May Co.South Jersey
2 hikes planned for 2010 on the AT one week in Oct. and one week in April. We are up to I81 in Groseclose Va.
Its been an amazing journey.

#126125 - 12/30/09 11:49 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: bearbait]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I hate to plan publicly, because at my age, just about anything can happen. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as a friend of mine says, this is my EXTREMELY tentative schedule:

April--Opal Creek, above Salem, OR, the ultimate in old-growth forest--depends on snow meltout.

May--Herman Creek/Pacific Crest Trail loop in the Columbia Gorge--also depends on snow meltout

Early June--Hells Canyon, probably part of the Summit Trail to Somers Point--depends on opening of Hat Point road

Early July--Pasayten Wilderness (east end)--not a problem by this time even in high snow years

July 17 ff--the TLB Forum Colorado trip

Immediately following, two 10-day, back-to-back trips in Wyoming's Wind Rivers. I just can't stay away from my former home state, although I'm very happy to avoid its winters! Like Kevon, I hope to have Wandering_Daisy's guidebook in hand!

Sandwiched in between--a couple of backpacks with my grandkids. These will be the first backpacking trips for "Bear," who turned 5 in October. I'll probably take him alone for the first trip and bring his Dad for the others, since I'm a bit doubtful of my ability to cope with three at once.

Right after Labor Day--Wallowa Mountains in NE Oregon.

Late September, early October--a week with golden Alpine larch in Washington's Entiat River Valley, with a MUCH warmer sleeping pad! I want to take more time and get beyond the first lake next year! Washington state always has a two-week gap between the ending of High Buck season Sept. 25 and the opening of general hunting season, usually the 2nd Saturday of October--great time for us backpackers to get out and enjoy the fall, always keeping an eye out for cold and possible snow.

I hope to do a few short 1-2 night trips in between the above.

If you want to be pedantic, the 21st century started January 1, 2001 (the first year of the first century was AD 1, not AD 0). Therefore 2010 is the last year of the first decade of the 21st century. Since teenage children aren't considered "teens" until their 13th birthday....Ah, forgeddaboutit. crazy

Edited by OregonMouse (12/31/09 12:01 AM)

#126563 - 01/09/10 06:00 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Looking at the above very ambitious schedule, I've decided that it's silly for me to try to squeeze most of my wish list into one year. At my age, I keep getting this feeling it's now or never, but I've decided that it's more important to get my grandkids out more.

The Wind Rivers trip is definite. The Colorado trip is a maybe, depending on if I'm in good enough shape to keep up with the other participants and if it's a "go." The rest are optional or may be made shorter. Nothing wrong with a couple of 3-day trips into an area instead of a big long loop!

My main focus at this point is getting in better shape, getting my food dehydrated (cheaper to do it in cold weather since it helps heat the house!) and my gear ready for last-minute trips.

#126564 - 01/09/10 06:28 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
If we get a warm spell here I'll try and head back into the Leatherwood Wilderness for a few nights and find some more waterfalls or hike the creekbeds.

I'll probably explore Hercules Glades some more this year too and spend a few nights there when I can. It's so close that I should already know it all by heart, but there's still a lot of space there that I've yet to tromp or gaze on.

I want to get some work done around the homestead this year too so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for any long stays out, but when the weather breaks perfect I'll steal a night or two in the forests if there's nothing important stopping me. smile

"You want to go where?"

#126571 - 01/09/10 09:37 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just put my first trip on the schedule: a long weekend at Dolly Sods in West Virginia, meeting a buddy who lives in Virginia. Between now and then, I'm hoping to get in a couple of overnighters in the local area. My buddy and I also agreed that another trip, in the fall, somewhere in Virginia or Kentucky probably, should be taken.

Edited by Glenn (01/09/10 09:38 PM)

#126576 - 01/10/10 12:01 AM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: kevonionia]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I am heading out of the house tomorrow for five days on Santa Cruz Island - high time to update my guidebook for the island and get out of town!

#126615 - 01/10/10 04:50 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Offline

I was there, just for a dayhike, a few years ago. I hope we'll see a trip report!

#126617 - 01/10/10 05:18 PM Re: Teens hiking -- what planned? [Re: OregonMouse]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
oldranger:

I'm with OM and want to see a trip report with pix, including how you got out there. Those islands have always fascinated me, but I've never been.

"my guidebook" -- please elaborate on that.

Edited by kevonionia (01/10/10 05:19 PM)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum