Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125324 - 12/16/09 05:36 AM Ruined my bag?
mud390 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I recently moved and my down bag was in the compression sack for the better part of 2 months. I've had it laid out about a week now and have been trying to remember to fluff the bag regularly, but the bag doesn't seem to loft as well as it used to. Is it possible I've ruined my bag, or does it just need more time? Thanks!

Kris

#125325 - 12/16/09 08:06 AM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: mud390]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Kris, you might pop it into the dryer for a cycle, regular heat, and see if that doesn't fluff it back up. If the bag has been used often it might be in need of a washing. I wash my bags in warm water, light fabric cycle, liquid detergent (i use plain unscented laundry detergent). Then dry, regular heat, until completely dry and fluffy. Your bag may have a special washing instructions tag on it, so follow what it says.

If you've never washed a down bag, first put it in it's stuff sack. Get the water started, detergent added, and about half full in the machine. Submerge your stuffed bag and start slowly pulling it out of the sack. This will keep you from having to squish air out of the bag for the next half hour.

#125332 - 12/16/09 10:13 AM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Paul--try the clothes dryer first.

For washing, be sure to use a large front-loading washer, on gentle cycle. The agitator on a top-loading washer will tear your baffles. Trying to spin a sopping wet bag in a top-loading washer might also do serious things to your washer, too. Unless you have a large capacity front-loading washer and a large dryer, you might be better off to visit your local laundromat.

Excellent instructions on washing down sleeping bags on the Western Mountaineering site.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/16/09 10:16 AM)

#125375 - 12/16/09 09:21 PM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: OregonMouse]
mud390 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Thanks for the advice. The bag has only been used outdoors for two nights last deer season, and both nights were in a camper. Other than that, I used it at home for about 2 weeks before moving, but treated it more like a blanket than a bag. I'll give the drier a go and see what happens. Unfortunately my washer is a top load, not a front load. I don't know of any front load washers around my area either, so hopefully the drier works! Thanks!!!

Kris

#125396 - 12/17/09 12:31 AM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: OregonMouse]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I have never had a problem washing my bag in our top loader.

Howie

#125407 - 12/17/09 08:21 AM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: Howie]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Howie is right....top loaders work fine, since that is what I have as well. Just make sure you do the stuff sack trick, or you'll be wrestling a big, heavy, puffy, mess.

One way to keep your bag fluffy in winter is to leave it out on your bed, unzipped, as a comforter. My trusty 25 year old TNF Chrysalis is still my favorite bag and just as puffy as ever....been washed/dried at least every couple seasons, top loader, no special detergent, high heat. Down is amazing stuff!

#125416 - 12/17/09 11:10 AM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: mud390]
Bob Lawblah Offline

Loc: U S of A
I have found that once a down sleeping bag gets wet, it is never as good as it once was.

#125427 - 12/17/09 12:23 PM Re: Ruined my bag? [Re: Bob Lawblah]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A lot of whether a bag will survive the top-loading washing machine agitator depends on how lightweight it is--the lighter the bag, the more delicate the internal baffles. I would never put my WM Ultralight in a top-loader! Even small towns have commercial laundromats that have at least one larger size front-loading machine.

Bob, I've successfully washed down items (not my sleeping bag, yet, though--just pillows and comforters) and had them fluff up to their original loft. It takes forever to dry them, and you have to keep stopping to break up all the clumps. 2-3 tennis balls in the dryer help with this, but you still have to do some de-clumping by hand.

I'm lucky in that my lovely daughter-in-law has an extra-large front-loading washer and extra-large dryer. I will be up there for a week in March and will wash my beloved WM bag then.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/17/09 12:28 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum