Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124323 - 11/24/09 12:02 PM Buying A Great Survival Knife
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I was just wondering if any one on this forum might know where a "good" quality "survival" knife could be found. I need a knife that will really take a beating and keep on "being a knife". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...sabre11004... thanks

#124339 - 11/24/09 02:45 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Well, have you considered what you want it for? What specific tasks will it be used for? Do you have a price range? Once you specify the tasks, it is much easier to recommend.

#124343 - 11/24/09 03:12 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: finallyME]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
I dont personally own one, but one like it.. The Ka-Bar USMC knife is one of the best all around knifes i think. It may be a little big but even on little trips, i have my hunting knife which is similar, and a small knife. If you go to an army-navy store, they sell "survival" knifes with the screw off caps and store stuff inside. I'm intending to get one soon so i'll let you know how that works out.

#124345 - 11/24/09 03:32 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
You really have to be careful about "survival knives" that have storage in the handle. The problem with them is that the blade is made without a shank and is thus not supported by the handle. I have seen many of this kind of knife break at the handle/blade junction; this is an unavoidable weakness of this type of knife, even those of otherwise good quality. Also, since most of these knives are designed to be sold at a fairly low price, the steel is generally of low grade and the workmanship is of mediocre quality, at best.

Personally, I would get a quality knife with a 3" laminated steel blade such as those by Brusletto of Norway. These blades hold an exceedingly sharp edge very well. I would carry my other survival gear in a sheath pouch or some other small pocket; not in the knife handle. RayWay sells a knife kit and a sheath kit featuring this type of blade. See:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Knife-Kit/index.htm

Even though I make non-laminated, carbon steel knives I would recommend a laminated blade over the kind that I make. They are that much better.

#124348 - 11/24/09 05:32 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: finallyME]
sabre11004 Offline

I think that I mentioned that I need a knife that will "take a beating and keep on being a knife". I might use it to split wood with or I might use to clean my finger nails with. I need something that I can hit with a hammer or just keep it in it's sheath all day. I need something tough and versatile. A good all around "knife". I think that budget wise I would like to stay under $150.00. I have been looking today and I think that I like that K-Bar the best, but the again, I am open to suggestions...sabre11004... thanks thanks thanks

#124349 - 11/24/09 05:36 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Pika]
sabre11004 Offline

A three inch blade would not be big enough for what I intend to use it for. This needs to be a "do all, is all" "tool". That's the only way that I will spend the money on a knife.Three inches would seem like a toy for what I intend to use it for so I will probably stay away from any thing that small...sabre11004 thanks

#124370 - 11/24/09 09:38 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Sabre
you don't need the knife, its just a toy, eekso go with the best meanest heaviest there is, get the Kabar wink... preferably an old one made with carbon steel, the real deal. I had one - traded it for a skate board...
Jim

#124373 - 11/24/09 10:38 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Jimshaw]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Sabre
you don't need the knife, its just a toy, eekso go with the best meanest heaviest there is, get the Kabar wink... preferably an old one made with carbon steel, the real deal. I had one - traded it for a skate board...
Jim

haha yeah, thats what i said...

#124384 - 11/25/09 01:56 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I am of a like mind with Pika. I would go with a laminated carbon steel Mora. I think big knives (anything over 4" blade) are way, way overrated. If I am going to chop something, for equal weight and much greater efficiency, I prefer a hatchet, probably combined with a lightweight collapsible saw. The only time I ever needed tools like that was when brushing out a LZ for a helo, hardly an everyday task.

If I am going to be digging, rather than abuse a knife, I just carry one of several pry bars. Your home center will have lots to choose from.

#124388 - 11/25/09 05:52 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle

#124393 - 11/25/09 10:07 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
finallyME Offline

sabre, the reason I asked is because you can't have everything in one tool. When you get one that is good at one task, it isn't so good at another. It is all a compromise. So, you really have to narrow down what is more important to you. A mora is really good at carving tasks, but a little small to baton large pieces of wood. Although it can baton and split wood, just not large pieces. A kabar is too big for good carving, but batons fairly well.

It sounds like you want a kabar. Other brands to look at: Cold Steel, Kabar, RAT cutlery.

#124396 - 11/25/09 10:34 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

What is the deal with batoning? I have built numerous fires and I have never felt the need to take a knife to the fuel I was placing in the fire. Is there some other application?

#124398 - 11/25/09 11:17 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: oldranger]
finallyME Offline

You can also baton and split a stave to make a survival bow. But, a mora can do that, because the stave is usually not that thick. Other than that, batoning is solely for fire wood (others might have more uses). When the outside is too wet, you might be able to get dry stuff inside.

#124401 - 11/25/09 12:19 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

Jimshaw...I was actually looking for some one to "help" with my situation not hinder it, but then thanks any way...sabre11004... thanks

#124402 - 11/25/09 12:23 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: oldranger]
sabre11004 Offline

Really the only reason that I asked was that I have had this really old knife (friends tell me it is military survival) that I have used for every thing. I especially like to split wood with it, but then if an axe can become a better option, I am all about change. I kinda like the idea of an "AXE"...sabre11004... awesome awesome awesome awesome

#124408 - 11/25/09 04:44 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

When lighting a fire in damp conditions, I will do one of two things, break the dead wood by 1)jumping on it or dropping a rock on it, or 2) prop up moist pieces next to the fire to dry out before they are added to the flames.

Most of my experience has been in western conifer forests. I might have to do something different in other environments....

#124412 - 11/25/09 05:09 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
JimM_PA Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By sabre11004
I was just wondering if any one on this forum might know where a "good" quality "survival" knife could be found. I need a knife that will really take a beating and keep on "being a knife". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...sabre11004... thanks

This might be what you are looking for:
http://www.1sks.com/store/cold-steel-srk.html
I have used the CS Master Hunter (carbon steel) for several years in hunting season with complete satisfaction. It is a smaller knife than the SRK.

#124418 - 11/25/09 05:47 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: JimM_PA]
sabre11004 Offline

Yes, that is very similar to the knife that I looked at by Cold Steel..The price is right but it is not quite as big as I would like. The knife that I am using now seems a little bigger...sabre11004... thanks

#124428 - 11/25/09 10:41 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Sabre

You started to make some sense for a while, what happened? smile just kidding - sort of.
Hey why don't you actually go try to split some wood with a knife? Been there, gave that up. crazy Seriously though a light "skinning" hatched used to disjoint big game can split small stuff and hold and edge that makes the blade like an Ulu knife. Hey I loved my kabar, but I was never able to split wood with it and the whole idea of a survival knife is kinda silly, it won't help you survive unless yer in enemy territoy. A sawvivor folding saw would be more helpful as would a cruiser axe. For my money, I was relly in deep doodoo in the middle of nowhere, I'd prefer a real axe over anything.
Jim

#124430 - 11/25/09 11:08 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
For my money, I was relly in deep doodoo in the middle of nowhere, I'd prefer a real axe over anything.
Jim

And assuming I don't have a "real" axe and need to carry something small and portable, I'd go for a 17 inch fiskars splitting axe. cheap, indestructible, and a lot more useful than a rambo knife.

I'd combine that with a nice sharp folding knife in my pocket, even something as small as my little opinel folder.

I'd rather have those two than a rambo knife any day.

to put it bluntly. if I were dropped in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the clothing on my back. my choice of things I would probably most like to have with me would be the axe, and then the small knife, in order, and right behind a bic lighter.

I carry only a small knife when backpacking.

Browse my pictures

#124447 - 11/26/09 03:04 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
frediver Offline

IMO you should look at a Becker BK-9, < $100.00 ( $85.00 I think)
It has the weight to use as a chopper plus decent carbon steel.
In reality tho you should have two knives, your big whacker and a smaller pocket knife, SAK Rucksak.

#124462 - 11/27/09 11:43 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: frediver]
sabre11004 Offline

As a matter of fact I do. And I also have a third that I have as a backup but I rarely carry that one if I am in the back country...sabrer11004... thanks

#124477 - 11/27/09 11:02 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: sabre11004]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
I own a cold steel SRK made out of carbon V steel. It really holds an edge extremely well and I've heard they are impossible to break. Their free testing DVDs are quite convincing.

#124481 - 11/27/09 11:50 PM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Sabre

Seriously though a light "skinning" hatched used to disjoint big game can split small stuff and hold and edge that makes the blade like an Ulu knife.
Jim

Jim,
Funny you should mention the Ulu. I just ordered one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0062994518853a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=ulu&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

In my favorite safety orange color, no less wink I agree with the axe...it's what i would take, also. A lightweight Fiskars is my favorite. Awesome edge and fairly lightweight.

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (11/27/09 11:50 PM)

#124484 - 11/28/09 10:12 AM Re: Buying A Great Survival Knife [Re: Ecrow]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By Ecrow
I own a cold steel SRK made out of carbon V steel. It really holds an edge extremely well and I've heard they are impossible to break. Their free testing DVDs are quite convincing.

I have the exact same one. I bought it in the desert at the on base PX for $45. It attached to my IBA very nicely and made a great ice pick for cold drinks. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum