Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124157 - 11/21/09 10:11 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: wandering_daisy]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
didnt get to camp last night, but its all good. i'll do it at least one night next week.
I know that everyone has their own logic about this, but i've always stripped to a white tee, boxers,shorts and socks. then put my long sleeved stuff down around my feet,and a water bottle in the bottom.

and no matter how cold, in what sleeping bag, from my 30 degree,15 degree, to 0 degree, i've never been cold. and everyone else i've camped with has never believed me, and had 5 layers on, and froze. Until it fails me, i'll go with what works for me. I jsut got a 30* western mountaineering megalite bag, so i'll be trying it out probally tuesday night, and maybe thursday night too.

#124205 - 11/22/09 08:11 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You just demonstrated that individuals' body thermostats can vary widely! That's why we all have to say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)!

#124258 - 11/23/09 06:26 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: OregonMouse]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

yeah, i'm gonna try my best to camp out tommorrow night, behind my house. i'll just go off in some corner of the propery, hopefully the dogs wont bother me

#124262 - 11/23/09 06:56 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By MrPhotographer06
yeah, i'm gonna try my best to camp out tommorrow night, behind my house. i'll just go off in some corner of the propery, hopefully the dogs wont bother me

Dogs? hah. no problem. the Last time I camped in someone's back yard I woke up next to a guy wearing a kilt.

Browse my pictures

#124264 - 11/23/09 07:09 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: phat]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

I have dogs in the back yard, that get rowdy at night sometimes, and then the whole country out here gets barky. haha

#124437 - 11/26/09 08:29 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By phat

Dogs? hah. no problem. the Last time I camped in someone's back yard I woke up next to a guy wearing a kilt.

You need either less cough syrup or much more...your choice. crazy

Edited by food (11/26/09 08:29 AM)

#124488 - 11/28/09 11:38 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: ringtail]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Well got my rain suit.

Ended up with a Columbia IBEX suit. its nice, with tags, new 50.00 and paid 35 W/ shipping.

Now onto hiking boots and i'll be set

#124492 - 11/28/09 12:25 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
What kind of weather are you going to be hiking in? Will it be wet, rainy, or maybe very cold. A glove should be purchased with all these things and more in mind. Are they going to need to be water proof? Will they need to block the wind. Figure out what conditions you are specifically going to be hiking in and then chose the gloves...or clothes for that matter...sabre11004... goodjob goodjob goodjob

#124499 - 11/28/09 04:29 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
You should be able to purchase hiking boots the same way that you purchase everything else. What type of hiking are you going to be doing? What kind of terrain will you be trekking on? How far are you going and are you just doing sections or are you doing a through hike? All these are the same considerations that you have when buying other gear too. Some trips you might want to wear an all out hiking boot because of the terrain and some times you may want to wear a walking type shoe because of really maintained trails. Just depends a great deal where and how hard and how far you are going...sabre11004 goodjob

#124613 - 12/02/09 09:46 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: sabre11004]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

I feel like i'll be anywhere and everywhere so, i'll probally get an all out boot to be safe.

And i tried on some niceee columbia waterproof gloves the other day at dicks. i'm going to wait till near christmas to get them.

#124651 - 12/03/09 02:54 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: sabre11004]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By sabre11004
Some trips you might want to wear an all out hiking boot because of the terrain and some times you may want to wear a walking type shoe because of really maintained trails. Just depends a great deal where and how hard and how far you are going...sabre11004 goodjob

And then I have worn a walking type shoe bushwacking down the north side of a heavily forested and steep mountain with no ill effects. I actually like them better then my heavy all out hiking boots....YMMV wink

#124957 - 12/09/09 02:02 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: finallyME]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Your milage may vary.

You can wear sneakers the next time you go ridge hiking in Hawaii. I'll be the guy wearing boots.

The ridges there tend to have a rut the width of your foot down the middle of a shoulder wide ridge.

That is not to say that it can't be done. I did it once. The question is really one of risk tolerance - if you twist an ankle, the day won't end well.

This goes back to the point that you should scope your requirements carefully, and not be afraid to start at a low cost solution - remember, I started with sneakers and bought the boots to solve a problem.

#124964 - 12/09/09 11:43 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: Steadman]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Originally Posted By Steadman
You can wear sneakers the next time you go ridge hiking in Hawaii. I'll be the guy wearing boots.

Me too! I've hiked in Hawaii, pictured lots of sandal-wearing and white sand before I went. The reality of hiking through dense Hala jungle growing from razor-sharp crenelated lava was another thing entirely.

#125286 - 12/15/09 03:42 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: Zalman]
Steadman Offline

Zalman

I get it. Did you get out onto fresh flows when you were there? When my wife and I did it (day hiking, thank God), the fresh (cooled and hardened) lava had a layer on top of it that was like glass, and it broke off in chunks the width of a coke bottle as we walked on it. The landscape was like a demented parking lot, covered in broken coke bottles. Jeans, leather gloves, and long sleaves were in order on that stuff. And we carried A LOT of water. Of course, we followed some vulcanologists out past where USGS said it was a good idea to go to see that...

Steadman

#125288 - 12/15/09 03:51 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: Steadman]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Exactly so. I lived within 5 miles of the active lava flow. Walking on the sort of terrain you describe was de riguer. Too close to the lava and my boot soles would start melting, as the sulphur fumes fried my eyes out. Definitely the most literally "hellish" ecology I've wandered through.

The Hawaiians aren't quite as strict as we mainlanders are about safety rules either. Lots of people got injured or killed on popular stroll-from-your-car routes in the National Park, thinking "they would have this roped off if it wasn't safe!" Let The Hiker Beware.

#125494 - 12/18/09 11:46 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: Zalman]
Steadman Offline

Yes, I miss that attitude about safety here in the East. "If in doubt, don't go out" applied on the water and in the backcountry. It seemed like a couple hikers a year would get lost (like, never found lost) when I lived out there, but I'm probably exaggerating. It was nice being treated like an adult.

Steadman

#126417 - 01/07/10 10:24 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

I'm doing my hiking this weekend in tennis shoes. i havent found the boots i like so i'm just doing it in tennis shoes

#126464 - 01/07/10 07:15 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
And the temperature is going to be in the teens? Are you sure you'll be able to keep your feet warm? (If you're going to be in the wet - rain or snow - AND it's cold, you may be asking for trouble.)

Since this is an ROTC trip - any chance of borrowing some combat boots that fit?

#126476 - 01/07/10 10:10 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Photo guy
carry spare socks and plastic grocery bags to put over the socks inside you tennis shoes.
good luck, better you than me.
Jim

#126480 - 01/07/10 11:29 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Yes, I'd take at least 2 pair spare socks plus at least 2 pair of produce bags. Be sure to wear gaiters, too. Personally, I wouldn't go out in that weather without boots big enough for 2 pair of socks! You might look at some toe warmers, too.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/07/10 11:31 PM)

#126487 - 01/08/10 12:36 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: OregonMouse]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'd want those insoles to be a little thicker too.

#126495 - 01/08/10 09:06 AM Re: New Guy List [Re: Eugene]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

well i decided to take my combat boots before i read this anyway.

i'll be in knee high wool socks too

#126530 - 01/08/10 06:28 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Be sure not to lace those boots too tight. Too tight will eliminate the loft that makes it warm, and can constrict it from releasing sweat vapor.

I hope you have a great time out there.

#126624 - 01/10/10 07:04 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: Eugene]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

i indeed had a great time. i slept in the tent with the XO and Instuctor Long. Since my contract is up, i got offered a spot as Midshipman. so, now i get to be staff. so that included eating steak, and pasta, and breakfast in the log cabin we rented for emergencies. I did use all my gear except my tent and it all preformed perfect. i love it, and cant wait to go again!

#126630 - 01/10/10 07:49 PM Re: New Guy List [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Thats not an adequate report. We wrote a lot more than that helping you. Did the shoes work? Pack? etc
Jim crazy

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum