Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124471 - 11/27/09 07:24 PM Survival - tools - part 2
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Wow - I thought part two would be a very short and succinct, but NNNooooooo eek This has become totally insane IMOHO. shocked Sure this a light weight group, BUT I did say this was to be relative to actual probable North American survival incidents involving hunters, hikers, and snowmobilers in forested country, and draw from published works, NOT my own mountain experience. Personally I think some of these guys are crackpots, but I won't malign them.

As Bigfoot pointed out - probably the most important piece of survival gear is located right behind your eyes thanks . I nominate the eyes as number two, hands as three and feet as four. So since I'm writing this, I start out my way and then add the rest. wink This was to be about non-voluntary exercises in survival, not extremely prepared ones and I assume that people with a 20 pound "kit" are not the ones who may benefit the most. crazy

There are two options to start with, those who are lost while camping, hunting etc, and have their pack and some of the ten essentials including a cutting tool of some kind, fire staring tools, clothes and maybe though probably not sleeping gear, and the others have become separated from their gear except perhaps for the contents of their pockets. In such a case I would really hope that I had a BIC and a pocket knife.

Larry Dean Olsen is of course from the primitive only school, in which you make everything yourself and sort of bootstrap yourself into a better position through collecting naturally available materials. A sharp cutting tool isn't hard to make from stone, a primitive bow drill can be fashioned and then a fire board, fire tongs etc can be built. He says, "A person thrown into a primitive survival situation would quickly find his position greatly impaired without the aid of so simple a tool as a pocket knife. <gap> "The construction of almost everything requires the direct or indirect use of a cutting or chopping edge which is itself fashioned with other tools made with cutting and chopping tools" Huh? confused well maybe Larry went to a reservation school...? , but he does point out the importance of cutting and chopping tools, at least in south west desert. Since Larry can pick up a pounding tool off the ground and in about ten seconds have an edged chopping tool AND a few spare blades, he and his students do not carry either pocket knives nor axes. goodjob To Larry the important items are then fashioned using stone tools - like fire tongs, spears, arrows, digging sticks, awls and needles etc, as required.

THE SACRED ORDER - I promised this was coming next. Larry's mentor Tom Brown drills the sacred order into students, SHELTER, WATER, FIRE, FOOD. He doesn't mention duct tape, eye glasses screw drivers, or GPS, I wonder why? cool

Anyway if you have to make a realistic shelter with only primitive or minimal tools, you had better get right too it. I hope you have you cutting chopping tool or are in good are in a good area for breaking limbs off trees, collecting reeds or what have you. So you have to watch the sun and spread out your time and energy collecting things to keep you warm, watered and maybe even fed. While collecting thing to make a shelter you will also collect things to make a fire and look for sources of water. A METAL COOKING VESSIL IS PERHAPS THE NUMBER ONE ITEM. If you have a pan great. Most places you will find an abandoned beer can or other manmade objects. You can melt snow or transport or boil questionable water in it.

I hope you have BIC or have the skill to start a fire. There is so much written material on this subject that I will skip it. If you do light a fire, do it a few feet from from a reflector like a large rock or tree, and position yourself and your shelter between the fire and the tree. No that you are warming up and have fire, use it to get water and perhaps if your lucky, to cook on and to signal your presence to a search plane.

Cliff Jacobson, the Boundary Waters guide suggestd "A swiss army knife and duct tape are probably enough. shocked Add a sturdy pliers with a cutting edge and pounding tool (hand axe?)of some sort, and you'll be well prepared for most emergencies. (I wonder if read his own book?) confused "For an ultracompapct kit, I recommend the versatile Leatherman tool. <gap> So good is the leatherman tool, that on go light trips in Minnesota, it is the only tool that most snowmobilers carry. (Note: being with your vehicle that can carry lots of stuff, I hope you have the tools along to fix it and at least a BIC.) cry

Cliff then goes on to suggest: crescent wrench, long nosed pliers, screwdriver, steel nuts and bolts, wood screws, self tapping metal screws (ever try to put in a self tapper without a drill driver?)a C clamp, rivets, duct tape, snaps and snap setter, spare washers and fuel cap for your stove, super glue, five minute epoxy, shoe goop, a curved fine pointed dental tool and a gimlet (hand operated twist drill, needles and thread, drift punch, a foot of three quarter inch wide sticky back velcro, and a metal zipper slide." Phew crazy

Deb Erdman, winter program director for Camp Voyageur of Ely Minnesota says, "Warm Boots are the the single most important piece of equipment you need to make a safe enjoyable winter camping trip." (remember I put feet as tool number three after brain, eyes and hands)

Bill Forgey - wilderness MD writes and sells books for a living (and first aid kits)and is therefore rather wordy, says,"I am a strong supporter of a vapor barrier liner in my boots and sleeping bag at temperatures below zero degrees fahrenheit." Dr Bill also suggests a fur ruff on your parka, to make a snorkel for rebreathing, and so ice can easily be knocked off."

From my own experience I can attest to the warmth and protection offered by a pair of plastic grocery store bags IN MY BOOTS AND OVER MY SOCKS. Since we all have them, I really strongly suggest carrying a few winter while camping, even if you don't have a dog to clean up after. goodjob

Sandy Bridges, the director of Sommers Canoe Base says, "The key to staying warm is the word C_O_L_D. Keep yourself, clothing and equipment Clean, avoid Over heating, Loose lightweight long and in layers, keep Dry at all costs.

Bradford Angier the military guy says, "first come matches, compass, adhesive bandages, eye glasses, watch, map, mirror, magnifying glass, knife, axe, saw, sharpening stone, gun and ammunition, sleeping provisions, tent or tarp, flashlight, whistle, binoculars or telescope, insect repellent, fishing gear, writing materials, water purifier, cooking outfit, survival rations, rope or cord, toilet kit, repair kit, medicine kit, extra clothes... ready for his repair kit?
small scissors, two rolls of narrow adhesive tape, pointed tweezers, cutting pliers, nylon fish line, snare wire, rawhide lace, tube of all purpose glue, rubber patches and rubber cement, safety pins, copper rivets, a small file, an empty tooth paste tube to be used with pine pitch for soldering ( sounds like the professor on Gilligans Island), sewing kit with needles thread buttons darning wool, gun oil, and finally a spare kit with matches, and a reserve compass".

Personally I stopped carrying the sewing kit, duct tape, emergency fishing kit, whistle, and sierra cup a LONG time ago. Now I carry a small SOG "multitool" that is mostly a pair of strong scissors, a gerber knife with a 2 inch blade, a nail file and maybe clippers, lots of batteries for my GPS/compass, and 3-4 BIC lighters, very tiny glasses screwdriver, tiny phillips screwdriver, and as I mentioned - a couple plastic shopping bags.

This concludes "survival tools part 2". Maybe the broad spectrum of ideas here will make you wonder if these guys are from the same planet, but most people go prepared for the last thing that happened to them, not the next. Your Mileage May Vary.
Go prepared, what ever that means to you, but I always say "if you have everything you MIGHT need, you won't be able to pick it up.
Jim crazy

#124595 - 12/02/09 10:57 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: Jimshaw]
alanwenker Offline

I enjoyed your tools articles. It's worth noting that Cliff Jacobson is a canoe guide, both northern Minnesotan lakes and Canadian rivers, and for him weight is a secondary consideration as he only carries his gear on protages. Many of his river trips are multi week trips in remote areas requiring bush pilots for pick up and drop off and consequently he needs to be equipped for emergency emergency repairs to a canoe hull while in the bush. If you punch a hole in the hull of a canoe with 10 days left to paddle, duct tape isn't going to do the job. Also, in regard situations. His repair kit is designed such that he can make to tools, Jacobson is canoeing in forested areas where there is plenty of wood for fire building. By contrast, these tools would not be needed in an alpine environment.

#124616 - 12/02/09 11:02 PM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: alanwenker]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Hmmm. Good food for thought here, but your local conditions sure make a difference. I don't think I have EVER carried an ax into the back country, and I have to admit that I really don't get the use for the leatherman, either. What part of shelter, food, water does it meet?

But I spend most of my time in the Sierra, where you are never more than a couple of days' hike from a trailhead. And you can live on water alone to get that far. So as long as I keep warm and hydrated, I don't worry about that many tools...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#124632 - 12/03/09 09:21 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: balzaccom]
alanwenker Offline

The leatherman screwdrivers can be needed to tighten canoe seats or thwarts or yokes which can come loose.

#124729 - 12/05/09 01:06 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Jim, you are a survival "T.O.O.L" grin

BF cool

#126374 - 01/06/10 10:56 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: Jimshaw]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
Howdy Jim, i copied and pasted this to a word document and sent it to my unit commander, and i think she's gonna send it to the unit. I'll do alot of help to the younger cadets who dont have any camping experience

#126415 - 01/07/10 10:12 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: MrPhotographer06]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
The word documents got passed out to all our cadets, and now its being well used. everyones taking it in, and everyone i've seen write back said good info, and thanks!

#126422 - 01/07/10 11:07 AM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Interesting stuff, Jim.
I've never seen that many opinions compiled in one post before.
Quote:
Larry Dean Olsen is of course from the primitive only school, in which you make everything yourself and sort of bootstrap yourself into a better position through collecting naturally available materials.

Survival methods depend on where you are and the condition you are in. Ol' Larry would have a time of it here, making tools from chalk rock. My personal test is "can you perform when cold, desperate, and wet", and speed is really important. I ALWAYS have a cutting/grasping tool in the pocket (leatherman squirt or tiny Swiss Army) and a little pack of matches, wrapped in plastic, in my wallet. Fire and cutting aren't a problem. I use that stuff daily anyway, repairing electronics, and other geek adventures,....so they are simply tools. I don't smoke but I do sometimes carry a converted zippo (to a butane torch) because I found I can solder quite nicely with it and even weld plastic.
The "where" is important. Urban survival, like being stranded in a building, parking garage, elevator, in the middle of the freeway, your own home....are all survival twists that take you a different direction than say 'wilderness' or 'maritime' or 'ice'. My kayak kit is way different than my hiking kit, or my urban kit.

#126459 - 01/07/10 06:59 PM Re: Survival - tools - part 2 [Re: Dryer]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
One of the areas where I hike has abundant chert deposits, used extensively in prehistory. Sharp edges are everywhere, and can be easily produced, even by a klunky knapper like me. Also lots of tasty shellfish. Makes survival relatively easy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum