Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124270 - 11/23/09 08:04 PM Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
An anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen (Advil, etc) is 800mg, 3 times daily. That's 2400mg per day! Compare this to naproxen (Alleve, etc), a similarly effective anti-inflammatory drug taken in 440mg doses, twice daily, for a total of 880mg per day. Almost 1/3 the weight of vitamin I.

No wonder people lugging around a bottle of Anvil Advil get sore backs!

#124277 - 11/23/09 08:56 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Zalman]
CWF Offline

I'm speechless.

#124279 - 11/23/09 09:11 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Zalman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Which gets me to thinking: thread is also pretty heavy. When you consider how much thread is needed to put all those seams together, maybe we should rip them out - a few staples should hold everything together well.

I think you just invented double-secret-hyper-ultralight hiking. goodjob

#124282 - 11/23/09 09:48 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
glenn
Seams? You can't wear clothes and be UHL.

Zaldude
You should be ashamed _ carrying first aid.

CWF - you got it right _ speechless is lighter.

Why would you carry an anvil anyway?
Jim YMMV crazy

#124295 - 11/24/09 12:20 AM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Jimshaw,

Hilarious synopsis.

Thanks.

Edited by DJ2 (11/24/09 10:57 AM)

#124299 - 11/24/09 06:53 AM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: DJ2]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
What?! Jim synopped?

Oh, well, we all knew it was inevitable. We should have seen it coming when he started cleaning out his gear closet (see the Dumpster thread.) grin

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Edited by Glenn (11/25/09 12:44 PM)

#124322 - 11/24/09 11:59 AM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Glenn]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Okay guys, on a serious note...I think that Advil would be a more multi-purpose pain reliever than Alieve would be. Alieve seems to work well on muscle and joint pain but Advil can help with other pains too such as a "flaming headache". We all know that Jimshaw would much rather have a multi-purpose piece of gear than not, so I vote for the Advil...sabre11004... goodjob

#124332 - 11/24/09 01:43 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Zalman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Great weight comparison Zalman. But, some people are allergic to alleve (my father). Of course, some people are allergic to advil. Choose your poison wisely I guess.

#124347 - 11/24/09 04:27 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Holy cow, Jim, you're really taking this ultralight thing seriously! Even your answers have gotten ultralight!

wink whistle grin cool

#124361 - 11/24/09 08:44 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: midnightsun03]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
On a serious note, I'm seeing quite a few warnings lately about ibuprofen. One, that it can actually retard healing of stress injuries per this NY TImes article. . Another potential problem is that ibuprofen can interact with some blood pressure meds, causing dangerous side effects including kidney failure. It behooves all of us to keep track of what we are taking, research possible interactions--I know from experience that doctors don't always tell us!

#124362 - 11/24/09 08:53 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
What's the matter with just plain old aspirin? Granted you can have a bad reaction to it, just like any substance, but isn't it a rather broad spectrum med?

#124364 - 11/24/09 09:07 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: oldranger]
Jimshaw Offline

Midnight - yep thanks

OR - if you take Diamox aspirin can kill ya.

Mouse - my doctor said ibuprofin causes bleeding - not a good thing to take when injured.
Jim

#124397 - 11/25/09 10:46 AM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Zalman]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Thank you for making my day a little better.

Must be most people do not look at the posting icon.

#124404 - 11/25/09 01:26 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw

OR - if you take Diamox aspirin can kill ya.

If you have a sulfa allergy, Diamox can kill ya!

I take aspirin. Along with caffeine and acetaminophen - Excedrin migraine pills are the bee's knees if I start to feel one "comin' on". goodjob

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#124539 - 11/30/09 12:41 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Zalman]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Heck, why bring any of those. Just pack in the leftover vicodin from your last surgery. It will work much better than any of the previously mentioned drugs. crazy cool

#124540 - 11/30/09 02:24 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Shrike]
midnightsun03 Offline

Vicodin has Tylenol in it, so make sure you don't take anything else with Tylenol!

My ex took a couple of doses of Dilauded (hydromorphone - powerful drug) after knee surgery then sat in front of the Travel Channel. A few months later he saw some of the same programs that he'd watched "under the influence" and started remarking about how odd it was that there was a TV show that mirrored one of our trips. I mentioned that our "trip" had been in his head because he'd seen the same show during his recovery but he didn't believe me. It took a while but I finally convinced him that there was no way we could possibly have done the trip in question. So, ever since then I've told people who are on morphine or dilaudid to be careful what they watch on TV while on the drug lest they have vivid memories of experiencing something they didn't really experience! Brought a new meaning to the word "trip"... LOLOL.

If you have an injury, anti-inflamatories are very important. The chemicals that produce inflammation can cause systemic problems and create a pain cycle that can be hard to break. It is a difficult thing to navigate - anti-inflammatories, if used too long, can cause pain upon withdrawel. Many people who take ibuprofen for chronic headaches find that they get rebound headaches when they go off the med. Same with caffeine.

It is true that ibuprofen causes bleeding as it is a blood thinner, just like aspirin. If you konk yourself on the head bad enough to knock yourself out, it is REALLY REALLY important to NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen for the next several days (72 hours at least). If there is any blood vessel damage in the brain from the injury, taking these meds could cause a brain bleed. Tylenol is ok though, and you WILL have a headache.

MNS

#124545 - 11/30/09 04:10 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: midnightsun03]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I was just making a joke about the vicodin. My dad had surgery a while back and was sent home with some vicodin. He doesnt remember a whole lot about the days after the surgery. Its crazy stuff and definitely not a good thing to bring on a trip LOL. crazy

#124569 - 11/30/09 10:42 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: midnightsun03]
Jimshaw Offline

Midnight
Interesting story.
I was reading some material about the chemistry of false memory and about women in particular who start to have memories about being abused as a child ans they swear it was true. There have been court cases like a woman suddenly remembering (although she will swear she always remembered) that her father murdered someone, and finally it was proven that he didn't, yet she "knows it did happen".
Jim And I do carry vicodin.

#124587 - 12/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Shrike]
midnightsun03 Offline

Actually, Vicodin is a great thing to carry on a trip, but you have to make sure only YOU use it. People can have allergies to it, not to mention it is illegal to give it to anyone else.

MNS

#124590 - 12/01/09 11:19 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: midnightsun03]
Jimshaw Offline

Midnight
When a buddy was severly injured climbing I felt obligated to inform him that there might just be vicodin in my first aid kit. Whether he "stole" any I'm not sure as I don't count the tabs... goodjob
Jim crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (12/01/09 11:20 PM)

#124594 - 12/02/09 10:32 AM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Midnight
When a buddy was severly injured climbing I felt obligated to inform him that there might just be vicodin in my first aid kit. Whether he "stole" any I'm not sure as I don't count the tabs... goodjob
Jim crazy

You sure that's all you've got in there, Jim? wink

BF cool

#124599 - 12/02/09 03:39 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: bigfoot2]
Jimshaw Offline

BF
Actually I carry the desicated body of Jimmy Hoffa in there for voodoo purposes.
Jim

#124603 - 12/02/09 07:17 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
thats offensive to voodoo practioners, Hoffa being associated with organized labor and such

#124607 - 12/02/09 08:46 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
midnightsun03 Offline

Jim, I almost inhaled my Nerds (late afternoon sugar rush)

#124608 - 12/02/09 09:20 PM Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
BF
I carry the desicated body of Jimmy Hoffa
Jim

DESICATED confused ...like for when you get a diaper rash? OOOOOOOH...SNAP!

BF cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum