Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123629 - 11/10/09 10:58 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: BarryP]
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Originally Posted By BarryP
“But....BPA is an endocrine disruptor”
Maybe for mice but no scientist has been able to prove it for humans.

Do you have a link to that info?

“Furthermore, scientists have found enough evidence against BPA that US lawmakers have taken steps to follow Canada and Europe's lead in banning it. http://www.attorneyatlaw.com/2009/03/bpa...astic-chemical/”

There’s no science data at that link. It just sounds like lawyers and bureaucrats trying to find ways to raise money.

The Net is flooded w/ scientific data. The point is, lawmakers have seen enough to act on it. I didn't realize it when I posted but several places (states & counties)in the US have already banned it. Lawmakers in France are also seeking to ban it. http://www.endseurope.com/21946

Something else to consider is where the funding of some of the studies came from that made BPA look innocent. Yep, within the chemical and plastic industry. Gee, I'm shocked! (with my best facetious face);)

With an estimated BPA revenue of $800,000 per hr, is it a surprise to anyone that those within the chemical and packaging industry want to convince us BPA is "safe"? Unfortunately, despite yrs of implicating evidence, with that kind of money at stake and the power of the chemical industry, lawmakers are going to have a tough battle...

#123644 - 11/11/09 10:00 AM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
And the FDA is taking another look after their initial response suffered severe criticism...even from their own advisory panel.

FB

#123648 - 11/11/09 11:05 AM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: BarryP]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
“But....BPA is an endocrine disruptor”
Maybe for mice but no scientist has been able to prove it for humans.

Interesting article in today's news regarding humans.

On the other hand, Ziploc brand bags apparently contain no BPA. From the FAQ on their web site:

"SC Johnson does not use BPA in its plastic products, Ziploc® Brand bags and containers, and Saran™ brand wraps."

Not sure about other brands of freezer bags.

#123673 - 11/11/09 04:39 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: Fishnaked]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Do you have a link to that info?”

The only links I can find is THE ABSENCE OF LINKS. There is no scientist/doctor that will proclaim BPA a HUMAN endocrine disruptor. It’s just another ‘sky is falling’ scenerio.

Oh here’s another way to look at it: http://www.gasdetection.com/news2/health_news_digest202.html (I just found that 2 minutes ago)

“Something else to consider is where the funding of some of the studies…”

Well, I thought this was required by law. If I sell a chemical, I better have put in some heavy R&D funding to study it or risk some lawsuits. It’s also fun to look at who’s funding the anti BPA world. shocked

-Barry

#123674 - 11/11/09 04:43 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: Zalman]
BarryP Offline

Good article with a very good final statement ““It is interesting information, but is of little relevance to the average consumer using products with trace levels of BPA,” he says. “Based on the findings of the many government agencies that have examined the science, there is a consensus that BPA poses little risk to human health at these levels.””
-Barry

#123677 - 11/11/09 06:45 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: BarryP]
Fishnaked Offline

“Something else to consider is where the funding of some of the studies…”

Well, I thought this was required by law. If I sell a chemical, I better have put in some heavy R&D funding to study it or risk some lawsuits. It’s also fun to look at who’s funding the anti BPA world. shocked

-Barry

Barry,

Your assumption is a widely popular misconception. A friendly suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the US chemical regulatory process via the US Government Accountability Office. They have been reporting on this very subject since the TSCA was enacted in 1976. There are hundreds upon hundreds of pages of reports on their web site. Researching chemicals has been a 20+ yr hobby for me. Consequently, I have read most all of these reports in full, the remaining few in abstract.

Looking forward to seeing your response after you have read them (their abstracts will give you the gist in not inclined to read the full reports).

Regards,
Rusty

PS
BTW. You alluded to knowing who is funding "the anti BPA world" as you call it. I'm curious. Who do you think that is?

Edited by rusty (11/11/09 10:12 PM)

#123716 - 11/12/09 01:37 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: Fishnaked]
BarryP Offline

“Your assumption is a widely popular misconception.”
Well, judges seem to follow this ‘widely popular misconception’ because they are not very kind to companies that don’t do their homework---- especially when it comes to injuring the public.

“…US Government Accountability Office. They have been reporting on this very subject since the TSCA was enacted in 1976. There are hundreds upon hundreds of pages of reports on their web site.”

I went to their web site http://www.gao.gov/about/index.html and did a search on “Bisphenol”. I probably didn’t search very well because I found very little about what the GAO is doing. I found a report here: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09353.pdf
What I’ve noticed about BPA, it is one of the most tested chemicals ever to come out. Any BPA substitutes will take 40 years to do similar studies.

“I'm curious. Who do you think that is?”
OK, this is what I’ve noticed:

There are two truisms that work in academia:
1. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
2. Publish or perish.

It is these types of entities that depend on government funding or grants.
For example, a guy that raised a lot of ruckus is ’Frederick vom Saal’. And he has an agenda by looking at his links: http://endocrinedisruptors.missouri.edu/links.html is linked to ‘our stolen future’ which is linked to Al Gore. Mr. Saal’s BPA document shows poor testing and non repeatable at that. So my personal view is his department needs funding and they picked BPA to do it. Now I like it when universities discover new things for us. But when research papers become extremely biased, despite the evidence, I don’t trust them.

-Barry

#123721 - 11/12/09 03:22 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: BarryP]
Fishnaked Offline

Barry,

I was referring to the chemical regulatory process, not BPA in particular. Go to the GAO site and search "TSCA". It's going to take more than your standard cursory look though.

That said, it is clear your mind is made up...for which basis that is built upon I have no idea other than your "personal view". Of course, what does the nonpartisan GAO know? That agency has only been investigating and reporting on this for a mere 29 some odd yrs. You surely know more about this matter than they do. ;-)

#123731 - 11/12/09 05:42 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: kevonionia]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Kev. That was not my point and the constitution certainly never had any thing to do with my point. My point was is that those things are the foundation of our sovereignty. Take away our language and what do you do. You learn a new language. Take away our borders and what do you do. You live with illegal immigration. Take away our culture and what do you get. Another life that will be different than what we know today. That was really my point and again it had nothing to do with our constitution...sabre11004... goodjob

#123732 - 11/12/09 05:44 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: kevonionia]
sabre11004 Offline

Kev...Finally I think that you may be on to something LOL...sabre11004... goodjob goodjob goodjob

#123737 - 11/12/09 06:07 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: BarryP]
sabre11004 Offline

Well I can tell you it is a little different than that. Let's think for a minute. Do we really trust the fact that everything that the U.S.D.A. sanctions is safe. I seriously doubt it. The food companies...Do they really want us to eat less..I don't think so. How about the pharmaceutical companies...Do they really want us to take less drugs...I think not.. And then there are the cherished "doctors".. Do we really believe that they want us all well..I seriously doubt that too. Hell they would go out of business if that were the case. I really think that as a society, we have been conditioned to think so backwards and so upside down that few of us really have any idea what is really going on

Think about it !!!!!...sabre11004... lame lame lame lame

#123783 - 11/13/09 07:04 PM Re: BPA in Grocery Store Foods ?? [Re: sabre11004]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Here Here I agree. Life Is Short , Play Hard!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum