Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123651 - 11/11/09 11:32 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Frankly for most hikers this kind of thing isn't a huge issue. It only becomes something to think out if you go past 3 weeks or so out. For the typical hiker you could eat Ho-Ho's all weekend and exist. My point being is that until you burn off all your excess fat and your body becomes tuned to day in/day out hiking (as with thru hiking) you have little to worry about. What happens with thru's is they burn off the fat but then cannot add in enough food for what their body is burning. At that point yes, they can start eating away at muscle. But just eating protein won't preserve it. Eating muscle doesn't give muscle back. Rather one needs a balanced diet with carbs and protein for the body to work. And lets face it: long distance hiking is not the way one builds bulky muscle!

As long as your belly is full, you are getting a semi-balanced diet and have energy - then don't worry. If a person eats well at home they have little to worry about when hiking for a day, a weekend or a couple weeks.

PS: And consider this - take a look at what many thru hikers eat for a diet. It is often binging in towns, then eating a steady diet of what many would consider less-than-good picks of food. These diets of Snicker bars, Pop Tarts, Ramen, Lipton noodles and jerky have fueled many a hiker thopusands of miles. It is easy to digest.

And that is a simple thing to think over - a diet high in animal based protein is very hard to digest. It takes longer, leaving one sluggish while the food works it way through. Carbs are easy to get through, fueling you up quickly. Wheat based carbs contain protein as well........

#123657 - 11/11/09 12:15 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: bigb]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By bigb

...complete!..
...incomplete!!..
etc. etc. etc.

With the possible exception of Wandering Daisy... I challenge any of you to name the backpacking trip you've been on where you think you'd have any issues due to protien deficiency. Ok maybe there's someone else here who does a month out at a time unresupplied. Even through hikers hit towns every week or so and pig out.

yes, it's very nice to have some. but by the time you're splitting hairs over protein quality it's not something that is going to matter on a backpacking trip. You're simply not going to be out that long for this to matter. Especially when you consider the world runs on rice and beans smile

I wait with bated breath for the day I can take off long enough to have to worry about protien deficiency.. Maybe when I retire.. and even then I expect my better half will have a heck of a lot to say about it.

Edited by phat (11/11/09 12:17 PM)
Browse my pictures

#123658 - 11/11/09 12:22 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: phat]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Originally Posted By phat
I challenge any of you to name the backpacking trip you've been on where you think you'd have any issues due to protien deficiency. Ok maybe there's someone else here who does a month out at a time unresupplied.

The longest I've been out unsupported is 21 days. Enough protein was relatively easy to carry. What I ran out of, and what I craved when I couldn't catch fish, was fat. That's the heavy stuff.

#123661 - 11/11/09 12:35 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Zalman]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
So to answer the authors ?, you don't need to add protein at all your soup is nutrition enough, can't get much simpler than that.

#123678 - 11/11/09 07:01 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: phat]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hmm-

It may not be so much a protein deficiency that would hit me on a weekend, but rather a satiety issue.

CM

#123703 - 11/12/09 11:10 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: CamperMom]
sarbar Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
Hmm-

It may not be so much a protein deficiency that would hit me on a weekend, but rather a satiety issue.

CM

I'd agree. Those times when you just don't feel full. That was one reason I upped my fat consumption over the years. It really triggers the "I am full" feeling smile

Olive oil in nearly every meal. A drizzle here, a Tablespoon there. Easy to digest as well.

#126134 - 12/31/09 09:37 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I often take a few types of "real" protien with me and if I'm lucky I will get a bonus from a lake. They include summer sausage, jerky, pepperoni, and the best of all worlds = bacon.

I look for the smallest thing of sausage and add this to soups, pita bread with cheese, etc.

Jerky I can add to ramen noodles and other soups or just snack on it.

Pepperoni is good with tortillas/pitas melted with string cheese or pita pepperoni pizza. I heat up a pita with pieces of string cheese, sundried tomatoes, and pepperoni and it makes a great pizza.

My personal favorite is already cooked bacon that is sealed in plastic and doesn't require refrigeration until opened. You can find this at many grocery stores. I just brown it a little and add it to anything that strikes my fancy. When I'm not packing light I will take bagels, cheddar, and powdered eggs and make my own breakfast sandwich. I make the eggs first, then bacon, and then brown the bagel in the pot (leave the little bit of bacon grease in the pot) with the cheese melting on the bagel. Just add the eggs and bacon to your sandwich and you'll eat like a king.

I only eat like this on half of my trips as it is a little on the heavy side but will stick with you for hours.

#126136 - 12/31/09 11:01 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: skippy]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Stop it! I haven't had breakfast yet and this makes my standard oatmeal look pretty puny!

Posts like this should come with warning labels. Now where did I put those bagels?

#126141 - 12/31/09 06:08 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: oldranger]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By oldranger
Stop it! I haven't had breakfast yet and this makes my standard oatmeal look pretty puny!

Posts like this should come with warning labels. Now where did I put those bagels?

Sorry Oldranger, my wife is a fantastic cook and influences me to eat better than I would if I was single. Thank God for women as they make the world a better place! smile

#126283 - 01/04/10 11:16 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: CamperMom]
Jo_C Offline

Loc: northern California
I rely on dried beans, like lots of other folks.

You may want to consider how much protein you really need. Between 10-20% of your total caloric intake is generally plenty of protein. I recently did some research on this.

You're welcome to check out the protein article recently posted on my non-for-profit blog @ www.redElephantEats.info.

Too much protein, as I'm sure you are aware, can be pretty hard on the body.

Take care ~ Jo

#128721 - 02/12/10 05:21 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
barking spider Offline

Loc: Springfield, IL
We take farm fresh eggs and add them to some foods we prepare. They go well with Ramen, rice, and many others. They are great by themselves! When I say farm fresh I'm talking about fresh from the chicken not the grocery store. The ones you get from the grocery store are usually a week or two old at best, and they have been refrigerated. Fresh eggs can keep for several weeks without being refrigerated. They also keep better than hard boiled eggs because the film that prevents bacteria from entering the porous egg shell is still intact. Pasturing and or boiling removes that protective layer, and can lead to early spoilage.

We actually keep a small flock of chickens so we have access to them year round. If you have local farmers market or, local farmer you should be able to get them there. Sometimes you can find them in route to your destination. Just look for eggs for sale signs in the front yards of homes out in the country.

#128891 - 02/15/10 01:16 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: pinku]
sarbar Offline

Originally Posted By pinku
What's the best type of protein and in what amount for women who want to lose fat, tone and firm their body and achieve the sexy look they've be dreaming of?

I know all of us here spend all our time worrying about maintaining a sexy look while hiking crazy spam

Edited by phat (02/15/10 06:30 PM)

#128922 - 02/15/10 06:29 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: sarbar]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Gosh, now I am confused. If you wanted protein, wouldn't you add the Spam, not delete it? I know Spam has fat as well, but still, you are hiking.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum