Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110887 - 02/08/09 02:20 PM How do you add protein to you meals?
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Is there anything in the grocery store that would be like freeze dried meat? I want to add some protein to my dried soup mixture and/or my Top Ramen, potatoes, etc. I have tried those packets of tuna and salmon, and they are about twice what I need and need refrigerating after opening so I can't use just half while hiking.

#110906 - 02/08/09 06:31 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
mosquito Offline

Loc: Minnesota
There are bags of chicken available or there are some very small cans of chicken. 2nd option would be to dehydrate the chicken which is what we do.

#110908 - 02/08/09 07:09 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Dried or smoked sausage baby! drying and smoking were originally a means to preserve meats. Landjaeger is one of my favorites. Of course pepperoni is a familiar standby.

Also hummus powder (I like Fantastic Foods brand) is a great thickener and adds tons of flavor not to mention protein. (hummus is basically garbonzo beans). You can also get black bean powder which is good too.

But if it is meat you want, you can't go wrong with sausages! http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1078

#110916 - 02/08/09 11:11 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: DTape]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Like DTape said, sausage is probably the most tasty and easy way. You could also try peanuts, or another high protein nut.

#110919 - 02/08/09 11:55 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
lori Offline

there are smaller tuna portions in plastic tubs - I've seen them at some stores but also at Minimus.biz. there are also 3 oz cans of chicken. Canned chicken can be easily dehydrated, unlike any other kind of chicken; spread some on a cookie sheet, set the oven at a low setting, prop the door open with a wooden spoon and dehydrate away. You can pack as much or as little as you want in your meals.

Someone told me they've seen half size pouches of tuna at a grocery store - still looking for them myself.

packit gourmet (google it) has shelf stable meats of several varieties - I'm waiting for chorizo to come back in stock. Legumes and lentils make for good trail eats - I just made a lentil soup to throw in the dehydrator.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#110939 - 02/09/09 09:16 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
One easy and cheap way is to add TVP. The unflavored TVP adds nothing to the taste but add the protein. I have never used the flavored TVP because the only way I can find it is mail order and the freight costs more than the TVP. My frequent backpacking meal consists of Idahoan potatoes with Just Vegetables and TVP. The Just Vegetables and the unflavored TVP is easily obtained locally. My meal costs about $1.

PS: I did try the bacon bits which I believe is TVP but did not like the result.

#110943 - 02/09/09 10:48 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I add a tablespoon or so of soy protein powder to just about all my dehydrated meals. It's essentially tasteless, so it doesn't affect the flavor. I also start most of my mornings with a protein shake: dry milk, a couple of tablespoons of chocolate instant breakfast and a tablespoon of soy protein. I usually mix in a teaspoon or so of psyllium husks for added fiber.

#110948 - 02/09/09 12:23 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Use the 3-ounce packs/cans of meat smile

Btw, I see you live on Kitsap Peninsula? If so....go to Central Market. Lots of good choices and they carry most of the Just Veggies line there.

Also, don't forget canned beans! They dry simply and easily - and you can use your oven if you don't have a dehydrator.

#110960 - 02/09/09 01:44 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Added to suppers:

TVP (textured vegetable protein)
nonfat milk powder
jerky, shredded into small bits
tuna in 3 oz. pouch
grated parmesan cheese
cheese powder (from packaged mac'n'cheese)
dehydrated black beans
Oscar Meyer bacon pieces in sealed 2.8 oz pouch

Added to lunches:

string cheese
nuts and seeds
dry salami

Added to breakfasts:

nonfat milk powder
nuts and seeds

Edited by aimless (02/09/09 02:10 PM)
Edit Reason: added an item

#110963 - 02/09/09 01:57 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Last year I bought a lot of ground beef on sale, cooked it all and drained off/squeezed out as much fat as I could, dried the results in a food drier, and what I didn't use in making FBC meals (www.freezerbagcooking.com) I vacuum sealed in small individual portions and stored the results in the freezer. These little individual portions worked great for what you're talking about, for example, making a beef top ramen serving into something a lot more like a meal.

Doing a "lot at once" is an appealing idea for efficiency in terms of time and effort and perhaps in cost. Last year I was preparing to do so much backpacking that an assembly line process made sense just for my own personal food. But in a previous year my wife and I got together with another friend who backpacks and we made some meals together and split up the results.

#123486 - 11/07/09 04:16 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I tried the Textured Vegetable Protein and I think it is the answer to my nutrition needs. Doesn't taste like much, so I'm going to add more spices to my mix next time.

#123496 - 11/07/09 11:00 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Check the nutritional information on the packages with sausage (very yummy but not so nutritional). You may be surprised how little protein you get. Some is mostly fat. You get a lot more protein for the wieght from jerkey.

Almonds added to rice dishes
Add a spoonful of powdered milk to meals
TVP - a spoonful per meal
Protein powder
Any kind of nut added to cooked cereal
Soy nuts
Cheese - use a hard cheese like parmasan- it keeps better
FD egg whites

#123503 - 11/08/09 08:49 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Check the nutritional information on the packages with sausage (very yummy but not so nutritional). You may be surprised how little protein you get. Some is mostly fat. You get a lot more protein for the wieght from jerkey.

Yes, when I did the actual label reading, I was shocked at how little protein I was getting from different sausages.

#123510 - 11/08/09 12:26 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
sarbar Offline

Originally Posted By Pliny
I tried the Textured Vegetable Protein and I think it is the answer to my nutrition needs. Doesn't taste like much, so I'm going to add more spices to my mix next time.

Go to www.HarmonyHouseFoods.com - they sell flavored TVP. The "Beef" is quite food!

#123516 - 11/08/09 12:54 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: sarbar]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
Just remember that the meat protein and the vegetable protein are not the same thing.

#123547 - 11/08/09 10:42 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: Jim M]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It does not matter if you get protein from meat or plants as long as the total of what you eat at one sitting is a "complete" protein. Meat is complete - you do not have to even think about it. A "complete" protein is a combination of amino acids? (is that correct). Beans and rice are a combination that add up to complete protein. So is milk or milk products and grains or pasta (thus macs and cheese!). Soy and legumes are complete (or near complete?). TVP is a soy product. I used to know all this stuff- am a bit fuzzy on it now. You also need a lot less protein than most people think. I aim for 18-20% of my backpack calories as protein. I think you only need about 14% if all the protein is complete. If you were to really study what is in a freeze dried meal that says it has meat, you may find that there is maybe a spoonful of dried meat chunks and a lot of TVP! The best protein source when backpacking is to fish.

#123559 - 11/09/09 06:31 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: wandering_daisy]
bigb Offline

Complete proteins: meat, egg, dairy
incomplete proteins, everything else

you can make a vegetable protein complete by adding a bee pollen extract that has the missing amino acid, nor sure of the name

20% is a good number after a day of backpacking, when you get home is when a complete protein would be real important for muscle recovery.

#123566 - 11/09/09 11:36 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: bigb]
sarbar Offline

Originally Posted By bigb
Just remember that the meat protein and the vegetable protein are not the same thing.

The one thing about TVP that most meat cannot do is be shelf stable for years. The flavored TVP's work so well due to that and being very light. They do not require long rehydration times and come back to life at high altitude. It is also considerably cheaper than using freeze dried meat - which, yes, can spoil if left exposed to humidity in air and not kept tightly sealed.

It also contains fiber, something meat doesn't have (which is why if one has never had it before, start with small portions!)

#123592 - 11/10/09 07:18 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: sarbar]
bigb Offline

just wanted to make sure the author knows that the two proteins aren't equal, vegetable protein is incomplete and animal protien is complete.

its nice to know how well vegetables keep, there is definitely alot more room for error with veggies hwere storage is concerned

I think the lightest protien for the actual content I've carried is dried egg whites

#123594 - 11/10/09 09:13 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: wandering_daisy]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hmm-I tried to post on this yesterday, but it is not showing up.

WAY back, when I was still a student, the common thinking was that the combinations of proteins had to be consumed at the same meal. I read recently that this info has been revised to "in the same day." So, if you have, say, peanuts as you hike, the amino acids consumed can combine with other amino acids from your morning oatmeal to give you the building blocks your body needs. Nuts, beans, and seeds provide some aminos and grains, preferably whole ones, can yeild the rest. I don't know about bee pollen. Corn and beans, and rice and beans are some well-known combinations. I read more recently that green peas also are considered a protein source. I don't know why I would have expected them to be regarded any differently from split peas as in soup. We still need to be careful to get enough of the right "B" vitamins if going vegetarian on the trail. Bananas or potatoes and milk are supposed to have all the nutrients we require. In the school where I work, the kids are told that the Native Americans could cover all of their basic needs with "The Three Sisters," corn, beans, and squash. After reading about potassium, I looked at some charts and found that white potatoes have double the potassium of bananas. Maybe that is one reason that instant mashed potatoes seem to be craved by long-distance summer hikers. Who knew?

CamperMom

#123615 - 11/10/09 05:01 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: CamperMom]
bigb Offline

Maybe one day the FDA will come up with an actual protein rating system instead of the current PDCAAS joke and we won't have to rely on so many different sources.

Two of my friends, well I have four friends but two of them are nutritionist one a vegan to the point of obsession, which I guess is reduntant and one who has trained pro bodybuilders and I rely on them for my diet info. Both agree that things that don't have muscles are not very efficient at feeding muscles without very careful planning and knowledge of what each food contains, and that there is no more effecient protein than an egg white.

They disagree on everything else.

#123621 - 11/10/09 08:44 PM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: bigb]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Don't know that it matters much, but did they elaborate as to why they consider egg white to be so efficient? One guess is that the albumin is pure protein. No fat at all. I don't recall if there is any vitamin content to egg white. Egg yolk has the same amount of protein, but it also contains fat, vitamin A (maybe others), and iron. It has been a very long time since I felt the need to look any of that up. I do recall that egg white protein was one we kept away from babies for the first year because of the frequency of allergies. Egg white was the big culprit. It seemed pretty ridiculous that mothers were told to use only the commercially prepared jarred baby food egg yolks because we couldn't be sure we removed all the white from our child's food if home-prepared. Talk about propaganda.

CM

#123632 - 11/11/09 12:28 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: CamperMom]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
If only animals are good sources of protein to build muscles, how do bulls, oxen, elephants, etc.... get so strong?

#123637 - 11/11/09 07:04 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: thecook]
bigb Offline

Genetics, maybe if we chewed on sick all day we would get as strong, they process things a bit differently.

Actually animals are the most effecient source of ptotein to build muscle, not only good sources.

Apperently by trying to let the author know that the 2 protein sources are not equal the thread has went a bit off track

#123643 - 11/11/09 09:40 AM Re: How do you add protein to you meals? [Re: bigb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Maybe one day the FDA will come up with an actual protein rating system instead of the current PDCAAS joke and we won't have to rely on so many different sources.

Rely on the FDA, are you kidding?

one a vegan to the point of obsession, which I guess is reduntant

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum