Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122662 - 10/19/09 10:43 PM Best UltraLight Sleepingbag?
Bradwick Offline

Loc: Bayville, ny.
I need a new sleeping bag. I'm looking to spend no more than $400 for it. I generally don't camp in the winter but it can get below freezing at night on those early and late season trips. Anyone got any good advice on a decent bag?

#122663 - 10/19/09 10:50 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Run a search, you newbies need to do some leg work on your own, then ask some questions. You will know whats out there then. We would need more info on temps etc.

#122664 - 10/19/09 11:02 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hard to recommend a bag without specifics. What is your idea of ultralight? How far below freezing do you want to go? Are you a warm or cold sleeper? Will you be in a bivy or a tent, or out in the open?

I can take my 16 oz. WM Highlite down to freezing IF I'm wearing warm clothes and a hat in a tent on a good pad. And barely. But I'm a cold sleeper and YMMV.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#122667 - 10/19/09 11:16 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'd recommend you start the legwork by spending some time at Western Mountaineering's website. Also check out Montbell's website. My local outfitter told me that Golite is coming out with some pretty good looking bags - don't know if they're on the website yet, though.

After you do a little research, you'll be able to give everyone a better idea of what you're looking for - and then you'll get so many specific recommendations you won't have any idea which one to choose! wink

#122679 - 10/20/09 08:16 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
Bradwick Offline

I generally sleep in a hammock. Never much below 25F/-4C. I've looked at a lot of bags, but theres a few hundred to choose from. I'm looking for something under 1.5lbs/681g. Obviously the lighter the better. I've looked a lot at feathered friends and Mont-bell, but from all my experience with sleeping bags the rating on the bag is more a "you-wont-die-at-this-temperature" than a "you'll-be-comfortable-at-this-temperature." (Keep in mind that I've never really spent the money on a quality bag.) I've done plenty of reading and comparing this bag to that bag, i just cant come to any sort of good conclusion about which bag is going to perform well.

#122682 - 10/20/09 10:13 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
dralahiker Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I noticed that REI has started using the EN rating system on their bags for more accurate ratings. EN is used by a number of primarily European countries so that temp. ratings are consistent regardless of brand.

Read more about it here:
EN Rating System

#122684 - 10/20/09 10:28 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
You should also consider quilts for sleeping in a hammock. Add Jacks'R'Better to your search list.

#122686 - 10/20/09 10:35 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: ringtail]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I think that the recommendations to look at Western Mountaineering and Marmot are good choices. But that is as far as any one here could go, and again as you have already heard, you'll need some more specifics like where you are hiking, what temps you may encounter and so on. We do know that you sleep in a hammock now goodjob so that should help to start narrowing it down to more specifically what you need as far as bag...sabre11004...

#122687 - 10/20/09 10:38 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
lori Offline

In a hammock down to 25F the JRB Hudson River will do the job. You'll be carrying about 20 oz of quilt and very comfortable, especially if you are a warm sleeper. I'm a cold sleeper and it does very well for me. Only had a feeling of being less warm at 25F, not actually cold. I have a second one as an underquilt.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122697 - 10/20/09 02:13 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Yep, if this is going to be used primarily for hanging I would be looking at a quilt and not a bag. Also IMO a quilt is more versatile if you decide to go to the ground. I have two Jacks R Better quilts and I'm very happy with them. Well constructed, light for the amount of loft, versatile and reasonably priced. They even ship fast.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#122702 - 10/20/09 03:29 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Trailrunner]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I hang and use a Jacks R Better Mt. Washington underquilt. That keeps me warm on bottom.
I use a Feathered friends Veiro half bag with a down parka/jacket inside the hammock. I have slept down to 26 F comfortably this way. Real comfortable.

#122703 - 10/20/09 04:41 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: redroach]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As stated by several others here, it's basically impossible to recommend a sleeping bag until we know a lot more about how you're going to use it. Where will you be backpacking? Will you be going to places like the Rockies, where it can snow in midsummer? Minimum possible low temperatures? (10*? 20*? 30*? All are "below freezing" and can be encountered in shoulder season somewhere.) Are you male or female (most of us females need more warmth)? What kind of shelter do you use? What kind of sleeping pad? Are you skinny or stout? Tall or short? The bag needs to fit you properly so that you don't press its sides and thus compress its insulation--including when you're wearing insulating clothing--but you also don't want to have a lot of extra air space to warm up. How do you sleep? Do you toss and turn or do you stay on your back all night? All these are important factors in chosing a sleeping bag.

Searching on this forum and in the archives will aid your research. There's a "sticky" post in the General Discussion forum on how to search.

Here are the main top quality brands: Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Nunatak, Valandre, Marmot (their series of bags named after lightweight elements), Montbell. These all have 800+ down fill (search the archives for what this means). A number of these should be within your budget. I have undoubtedly omitted someone's favorite sleeping bag manufacturer; I hope those folks will add them!

EDIT: I missed the statement from the OP that he/she is a hammock person. Heed the recommendations of the hammock folks for a quilt (or two) rather than a sleeping bag, and note the manufacturers they recommend.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/20/09 04:47 PM)

#122732 - 10/21/09 08:04 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
Bradwick Offline

-I'm male.
-6 feet tall.
-I sleep a little on the cold side.
-I camp in the Adirondacks. (drops to 25*F in april and december but record lows are around 5*F)
-I generally sleep fully clothed (Under Armor, socks, hat, pants, and sweatshirt).

I've seen a lot of sites where people put sleeping pads underneath them in a hammock... has anyone tried that? And two quilts sounds like a pretty good idea. Didn't think of that.

#122739 - 10/21/09 12:40 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
I just received my 1st hammock (Warbonnet BB) and intend to spend my 1st night in it in my yard this weekend, so I am a newby. I went straight for the underquilt (Warbonnet Yeti) since my reasoning for going to a hammock in the first place was comfort. Pads are supposed to do the job, keeping you warm, but at the expense of comfort. The down side to the UQ's is their cost. I have not yet purchased a TQ, but will do so in the near future. I am leaning toward a Tee-Wa or a JRB. The UQ and TQ combined will push your budget but you can probably get there.

#122744 - 10/21/09 03:01 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
Bradwick Offline

Wow... nice yard..

Thats what I'm looking to achieve. Quilts are expensive for anything thats quality, but one thing at a time I guess.

#122854 - 10/24/09 11:36 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: Bradwick]
ConnieD Offline

Loc: Montana
Would a quilt work for a ground-sleeper?

I am interested in a "quilt" 15-20 degree rated UL sleep system.

I have read the GoLite Ultra 20-degree UL is not generously temperature rated, meaning cold.

I am 5'6" female, not a cold-sleeper.

I sleep on my back, on my side, and on my stomach.

The only "mummy" bag I like is a MontBell Super Stretch.

I have always been of the opinion the "down" under me is pretty much wasted. I am an "early-adopter" and so my first and second Marmot down "quilt" was too cold.

Does anyone have experience and success using a quilt for sleeping on the ground? What pad(s)?

Down or synthetic?

#122857 - 10/24/09 01:21 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: scottyb]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I use a pad with with my hammocks and never considered them to be an impediment to comfort. They actually provide more insulative value than an UQ due to the fact they are also a VB. Staying warm is necessary for comfort too. Oh, they weigh less than UQ's as well.

#122873 - 10/24/09 06:17 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: DTape]
ConnieD Offline

Loc: Montana
Warm at 15-20 degrees Farenheit?
and what sleeping pads: closed cell foam? thickness? ?

I tired a Choinard "Peapod" with a Sierra Designs "Perfect" years ago. I had the Sierra Designs repair department make a big "bound buttonhole" in the foot of the bag.

It worked fine.

However, I do not find two trees everywhere I go, and so, I am interested in a 15-20 degree Farenheit quilt-pad combination on-the-ground.

#122895 - 10/25/09 11:05 AM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: ConnieD]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Nunatak Arc Alpinist with 4 oz overfill.

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core.

Gossamer Gear 3/8" ccf pad. Most of the time on the bottom, but move to the top when it gets cold.

But this is only part of the sleep system. You need to keep your feet, hands and head warm.

#123415 - 11/05/09 08:35 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: ringtail]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
I've had very good success at staying warm with Mountain Hardwares 800 down bags. I have an original phantom, and I've been in it at freezing often, and no problems. Its right at 23oz with stuff sack and it has all the bells and whistles, hood, 3/4 zipper etc....

#123424 - 11/05/09 11:08 PM Re: Best UltraLight Sleepingbag? [Re: ConnieD]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Connie,
I have a RayWay quilt (home made) with the Alpine upgrade and I've gone down to mid 20F's with it. It weighs 26oz with the stuff sack and is about the size of a volleyball. I typically use a hammock but have used everything on the ground also: 3/8 in. blue ccf pad, RayWay quilt, warm clothes AND an Exped7 down air mattress.
I picked it up on sale at MooseJaw. The Exped can inflate to about 1.5 inches. It weighs 34.15 oz. My ccf pad is cut down a little and weighs 9 oz. You could pair it with a fleece blanket to add some warmth and cut down on the potential for sweating due to the ccf pad. The two would probably add up to the same weight of the Exped.

When I hammock I just use the Exped and the quilt. If it is going to be below 20F, I have a hammock sock that slips over my whole rig and adds about 5-7F degrees. I do plan on making an underquilt this winter.

Tango

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum