Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123273 - 11/02/09 12:05 PM Re: Good Information Here Re: (VBL) for sleeping bags [Re: ringtail]
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
I have nothing scientific to add. However, I have on a number of occasions woke up in the night uncomfortably cold and slipped on my sil-nylon or plastic poncho and slept comfortably warm for the remainder of the night.

On extra cool nights, I have donned my poncho upon going to bed...and about 40% of the time, I put left over bulk-food plastic bags on my feet held on w/ rubber bands around my ankles...before going to bed.

With the exception of one freezing night that I recall, all of this has been done in temps above freezing (mid-high 30's...perhaps low 40's.

On the nights I woke up cold and donned my poncho, I start feeling more comfortable almost immediately.

I should also note that I have tried these type of VBL's over my bare skin and over light fleece. To me, the all-around comfort level is far greater when the VBL is over fleece. When I remove the VBL upon arising, the fleece is always slightly damp but dries within minutes of being exposed to the air.

I have had such outstanding results with the above that some sort of VBL is an essential part of my kit now...and I rarely encounter below freezing temps.

#123295 - 11/02/09 06:59 PM Re: Vapor Barrier Liner & accumulation in bags [Re: DJ2]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Sweat and breath moisture gradually accumulates in sleeping bags over several days, regardless of insulation type. In winter this problem is exacerbated many times because bags can't be easily air dried.

This means for near and below freezing temparatures a VBL is essential to retain bag warmth AND reduce carried weight. And, yes, ya gotta wear some light poly long johns to bed inside a VBL to avoid clamminess and direct conductive heat loss.

The ill-fated Scott south pole expedition might have had some men that made it had their down "sleeping robes" been used with a VBL of some sort. Often the men had to take an hour or more just to get inside their frozen down bags.

So, yeah, for week long or more winter trip ya NEED a decent VBL. If it isn't comfortable (too clammy) "deal with it" OR if you feel too cool you likely need a warmer bag or mattress. You'll easily know which it is, of course.

I'm finally making mine this year from waterproof aluminized ripstop I got from Seattle Fabrics a while back. MUCH cheaper than ready-made VBLs and now I won't have to spend hours airing my bag before bed time and still not getting it completely dry and then still having to wear VBL clothing in the bag. VBL clothing in a bag ain't 100% efective unless ya duct tape it closed at ankles, waist and wrists!

This isn't about whether BVL "works" for you or not. That's a subjective issue. It's about keeping the d@mn vapor from accumulating in your bag and thus keeping your insulation dry and effective day afer day. PERIOD.

Eric

#123332 - 11/03/09 04:25 PM Re: Vapor Barrier Liner & accumulation in bags [Re: 300winmag]
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Originally Posted By 300winmag

This isn't about whether BVL "works" for you or not. That's a subjective issue. It's about keeping the d@mn vapor from accumulating in your bag and thus keeping your insulation dry and effective day afer day. PERIOD.
Eric

I agree. Sorry I veered off course. My mind was on another thread about VBLs and their effectiveness....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum