Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122349 - 10/14/09 12:04 AM Asked to go along. Excited but unsure.
Gurnard Offline

Loc: KY
Hey gang,

First off, nice website you have here.

Anyway, a friend of mine who does multi-day hikes/camping invited me to go along with him on some yet to be planned future outing. Told me not to buy gear because he has plenty of, I guess, old gear. I’m really excited about the idea, have read a couple books to get somewhat up to speed and did car camp a few times when my kids were young.

The problem is that he is ridiculously fit & I’m not. I told him up front that I want to go but would really slow him/them down. Said it “doesn’t matter…not a race…” But I really think he is underestimating my level of unfitness.

I hate to think that years from now they’ll be sitting around reminiscing “Hey, remember that time we took the fat guy…what was his name again?” So, a few times a week I’ve been walking a 3 mile trail near my house. This trail is kinda hilly, not easy to me but getting easier for both me and the dog. This loop takes me about 1.5 hours and I am sucking wind at the top of the climbs. I’m assuming they walk all day, fast, with packs, smiling…

Anyway, since I have no idea what to expect – how do I know if I can hack it? I’m afraid that I’ll show up woefully unprepared and wind up ruining everyone else’s good time.

Laps on this trail? Find a longer trail?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

Edited by Gurnard (10/14/09 12:10 AM)

#122359 - 10/14/09 02:34 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

A topic very near and dear to my own heart. You have no idea how much so.

While I know some people find me to be a bit of a bush rat, and I'll trudge happily through and up stuff that many people find daunting, I'll be clear on this. I currently weigh 262 lbs. last year I weighed 322. Most hiking seasons in the last 5-10 years I have been heavier than my current weight. I'm not what I would call in-shape. I don't think I go fast.

I hike solo a lot, because I frankly have the experience to do it, and enjoy it because I can go at my own pace, and not fret that I'm detracting from someone else's enjoyment due to my own pace.

I *enjoy* hiking and don't worry about pretty much four other people. All of them are people who I know have the skills that I don't need to fret about them. Two of them hike about my speed, and everything is good.

Two of the others are *insanely* fit. and I mean seriously insanely, and completely hardcore. We also understand each other enough that I dont feel pressed by them, and they don't slow down for me to hike with me, unless they feel like it, and this is all good. We understand each other and it just works out.

When I hike with people a "little" faster than me, I'm tempted to push myself to keep up, and then I find myself not having fun. not cool. When I go with people slower than me I always try to ensure I'm not pushing them, and I just enjoy the pace it is going at, and enjoy the company. Most of the time in that situation (I hope) I am successful.

Decide ahead of time what you will do. Talk it out frankly with your friend. It sounds to me like he/she is well aware of your potential skill level and is willing to take you on anyway, go and enjoy it. Either they will be fine with the pace you are at, or they won't be. Don't fret it as long as you have been honest with each other ahead of time. Try very hard not to have a bad time worrying about going to slow for them, or by beating yourself into the ground trying to keep a pace with them.

I'll warn you - it's not an easy thing to do, from either end, but it sounds like your friend is thinking this out, and knows this. You should go and enjoy it.

Browse my pictures

#122362 - 10/14/09 06:23 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Training is important. You need to train carrying more than you hike. Swimming and the elliptical machine make you fit, but do nothing to toughen your feet and develope balance.

I prefer to hike solo, but camp in a group. But that means that everyone on the trip can navigate. Practice navigation. Participate in an orienteering meet. There should be some distance between hikers on the trail.

You need a light pack to have a good experience. My buddy wanted to take his father-in-law on a 4 night trip into the Grand Canyon in May. 62 years old and NEVER backpacked. I provided a kit with about a ten pound base weight and asked my buddy to make sure his filly did not load the pack with stuff he did not need. We had a great trip.

#122363 - 10/14/09 07:49 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
As often happens, I agree with Phat.

Don't sell your friend short. I've been on both sides of that fitness/experience equation, and it all comes down to attitudes.

I've taken a fair number of folks on their first trips; some were in better shape than me, some in worse. Knowing that they wouldn't be as experienced as me, or in some cases able to hike as far/fast as me (and I'm not a particularly fast hiker) simply meant that I adjusted my pace and (since I planned the route) the distance per day to fit their abilities and desires. I also deliberately chose less difficult terrain for those first trips, and tried to include something "neat" to see or do (rock arches, interesting ravines, a creek to swim in, or a spectacular ridgetop campsite.) The idea wasn't to impress them with how skilled and "tough" I was (and I'm really neither) - the idea was to get them "hooked" on the pastime, then work them up to my level on subsequent trips. If your friend fits that general pattern (and it should be apparent from how he lives his life off the trail how he will act on the trail), then you'll be fine.

As to the other side of it: I have a hiking buddy who used to be one of my Boy Scouts; we still get together once a year to hike and catch up on each other's life (he now lives in Virginia.) He was always the most physically fit kid in the troop, though not an "athlete"; after high school, he became a Navy SEAL; now he's a firefighter/paramedic. He thru-hiked the AT, finishing somewhat more quickly than the average; a 20-mile day was common for him pretty much from the time he started, and he did a couple of 40-mile days (one in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.) However, when we hike, he's always willing to do the mileage I'm comfortable with; I reciprocate by trying to do a mile or two more than I usually do in a day. We've also had the hiking-style discussion over the years, and long ago we both became comfortable with the idea that, whenever one of us wanted to, we'd hike part of the day alone and meet at camp. (Caution: if you do this, it's best if you are both carrying solo gear loads; if anything prevents the evening link-up, you both have everything you need to camp comfortably and safely.)

Don't underestimate your friend; if he says slowing down is no problem, it probably isn't. But have a long talk about your concerns and worries, and make sure he's clear about how you want to proceed. Make an honest assessment of your abilities. Are you carrying a 20-pound pack on your hikes? How long does it take you to complete the loop comfortably? Double the time, allow for 6-8 actual hiking hours per day, and you should have a fair idea of how many miles you'll be able to do a day with a pack. (6-8 hiking hours may equate to 10-12 trail hours, by the time you add in rest stops and lunch.)

Most importantly, ask for a detailed trip plan, on a map, and spend some time looking at mileage and elevation gain/loss. Be conservative, and shorten the distances if you feel it necessary - you can always add them back later in the form of a longer loop, or exploring side trails. Also, go for a shorter first day, to give yourself time to ease into it (and a shorter distance back out, if you decide you can't handle it.)

Keep talking honestly to your friend, keep adding to the length of your hikes, and plan to have a great time!

Edited by Glenn (10/14/09 07:51 AM)

#122366 - 10/14/09 08:38 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
Bear Cavalry Offline

Loc: Keweenaw Peninsula, MI
Pretty much what the other two guys said.

If he is eager to have you come and is aware of your physical condition, then he probably isn't looking to fly down the path, just introduce you to hiking. That being said, a little training would be a very good idea. Walking is great, and hills are great (especially if you are going to be climbing any sort of elevation, that will sap your legs).

Important Point: If you don't know how to properly adjust a pack, (you probably don't if you have never backpacked) ask you friend about it. Have him check it when you are wearing it. This is especially important if this is going to be a longer hike and you are carrying any substantial weight. A well adjusted pack is much easier to carry, and much less tiring than something that you just throw on.

Good luck, I hope you have fun. Let us know how it goes.

#122376 - 10/14/09 11:05 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Bear Cavalry]
Chattaben Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Ask your friend to let you borrow one of his extra packs, load it up with a little weight, and wear it on your training walks close to your house. Go ahead and get used to carrying some weight. I went on some of my first multiday hikes over the summer and before I went, I loaded up my pack and took it on some walks/hikes in the woods behind my house (2-3 miles a few times a week). Add a little more weight each time you walk. I can't tell you how much that paid off in the when I actually hit the trail. The other newbies I was with did not do anything like that and they were hurting by the 3rd and final day while I was still fine.

#122379 - 10/14/09 11:25 AM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Chattaben]
Glenn Offline

Very good point - practice with a loaded pack is invaluable.

I'd even take it a step further: see if he'll take you on an overnight to a local park campground (whether you hike or not is optional.) Since you're borrowing gear, you're not used to using it. A practice overnight, with the gear you'll use, will eliminate a learning curve when you're in the backcountry, tired after a day of hiking (and maybe it's raining.) If you already know how to pitch the tent, arrange a bed, and prepare a meal it will make life simpler and happier.

#122383 - 10/14/09 12:16 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: phat]
lori Offline

Hiking with people who run ahead or draaaag behind is hard. I do it a lot. Phat is correct, frank conversation needs to happen and I would add that a couple of walkie talkies might be of use. In the hiking group I frequently organize hikes of up to 20 people and I know that giving slowpokes a walkie helps - they can tell me so-and-so is having trouble, dressing a blister, lost, or turning around. They don't work across miles and miles of terrain, but they do have a range of a few miles.

Phat, I'd hike with you anytime. I'm on the slower end of things - I gotta quit hiking with the 20 something trail racers.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122384 - 10/14/09 12:19 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Bear Cavalry]
lori Offline

I don't know that I would rely on him knowing how to adjust a pack - I've hiked with folks who let the hip belt hang loose. A sport store/outfitter who retail packs will be able to take measurements, tell you what those are, and help you with how to properly adjust a pack so the weight is mostly riding on your hips - by far the most comfortable way to carry a backpack of any weight over 20 lbs.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122386 - 10/14/09 12:35 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Large groups do complicate things. However, in large groups there are often several experienced folks. We were usually lucky enough, taking out groups of kids, to have an adult or two who were strong hikers, and a couple of average hikers. We had a rule that no one passed the designated leader, and the designated "trailer" didn't pass anyone; everybody stopped at trail junctions and stream crossings. This worked well because it let the faster hikers move on ahead. The slower hikers could move at their own pace, and wouldn't be so intimidated by stronger hikers since they weren't in the same hiking group.

I remember one little chunky kid who had huge problems going up hills; he was always the last hiker. He kept apologizing for holding everybody back; we kept telling him, "No big deal - you'll find your own pace one of these days." A friend and I were sheperding the 4 or 5 slowest hikers one day when we hit a particularly rough uphill stretch. He quickly fell behind, and my friend (the designated "trailer") volunteered to hang back with him while I let the others hike a bit faster up the hill. The kid did not have a happy look on his face the last time I looked back; he was really struggling. We stopped at the top of the hill to take a break and wait for my friend and the kid. Next thing we know, here he comes around the corner grinning ear to ear: he had found his pace about half way up the hill, and the hiking became easier (though not really quickler), and from then on he enjoyed every minute he was on the trail - and still does today.

#122387 - 10/14/09 12:39 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
like others said - it's a good idea to practice hiking with weight. I'd make one small modification though - make those practice hikes weighted with water in the pack. Get one of those 2.5 gallon water jugs and empty it halfway. Once you can handle that weight, fill it up all the way. Once you can handle that weight, grab an extra gallon. The benefit to using water is if you find halfway that you're just pushing yourself too hard, you can dump some of the water real easy. And for reference, water is 8 lbs per gallon. This makes the 2.5 gallon container a 20 pound weight, add the weight of the pack, and you have what is likely going to be your trailhead weight.

#122389 - 10/14/09 12:42 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: lori]
Bear Cavalry Offline

I guess I assumed an experienced hiker would know the correct way to wear it, I consider it a basic fundamental piece of knowledge.

Thinking back, I have noticed people on trails who seem like they should know better claiming that they don't "waste time" with the hip belt.

Either way, Lori is right, make sure whoever you ask for advice about adjusting the pack actually knows their stuff. You should really have the pack with you and have them help you adjust it the first time.

#122390 - 10/14/09 12:42 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
Gurnard Offline

Loc: KY
Whoa, thanks for the replies! Good to know I’m not alone on this (Thanks phat).

I was a little surprised that the backpacking books didn’t cover this. Lots of good info on what to buy, wear, eat…but little to nothing on preparing yourself physically.

I have not walked with a pack but it does seem like an obvious thing to do. Thanks for the tip! The only time I thought about the pack was when one of the books suggested setting your maximum pack weight as a percentage of your body weight. Then I thought “Hey, if I drop 25-30# it would be like carrying no pack at all!” (Don’t bust my bubble on this one).

I had not considered getting separated. I know NOTHING about navigation (time for another book?). My wife has a GPS she uses for geocaching – I took it on the practice trail once but it was next to useless in my hands. Well, I guess I always knew the general direction of the parking lot.

Glenn, my friend isn’t as hard core as your example. He does do triathlons & is always threatening to sign me up for the next one knowing that I couldn’t complete any leg…not even close. All in fun though.

Thanks again for the tips and encouragement. Going to lunch with the hiker today – will bring this up again & I am going if he’s still up for it.

Edit: Posted while I was replying - Great idea on the water weight!

Edited by Gurnard (10/14/09 12:44 PM)

#122394 - 10/14/09 02:43 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Sit down with your friend and create a plan "B" just in case you have trouble keeping up. That way you can bail and get out safely and comfortably, and he won't feel bogged down. Have a clear understanding about this well before you set foot on the trail.

Also, go over the gear with him well before you leave the trailhead. Don't plan on sharing gear just in case you have to part ways.

No matter what you do to prepare, the truth is you won't really know until you get out there.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#122413 - 10/14/09 07:57 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Trailrunner]
Bear Cavalry Offline

It depends on the setting, but for someone who has never hiked before, splitting up may not be a feasible option.

#122416 - 10/14/09 08:27 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
Glenn Offline

Wow, hope I didn't leave the wrong impression about my buddy. He is pretty hard-core when he hikes alone. But, when we hike together, he's very laid back and relaxed, and our styles mesh very well. He understands, and accepts, that I'm not hard-core (never have been, and never will be), and our hikes have been truly memorable as a result.

We talk freely and openly about what we want from a hike, how hard each of us (mostly me) want to hike, what kind of terrain and daily distance we want to cover, and what kind of bail-out plan we need.

Mike is one of those rare guys who's physically able to push himself, loves hiking for the sake of hiking, and willing to adapt to those he's hiking with. In short, a perfect hiking buddy.

#122420 - 10/14/09 09:29 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: Gurnard]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Since you are a beginner,he needs to totally agree that no matter what, he is going to stick with you. When you get more experienced, you could go your own pace and meet up at camp, but this is not safe for beginners. If he is not willing to make this committment, then do not go. It is not a matter of pride - it is strictly a matter of safety.

#122422 - 10/14/09 09:52 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: wandering_daisy]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Sounds like a great opportunity.

On my first multi-day trip with my current hiking partner, I was in pretty good hiking shape -- I'd had a lot of trips that year for some reason. We did a couple of long-ish days on the AT in southwest Virginia that left him dragging pretty hard. Then he put some serious effort into getting back in shape, and I gave up the gym to work 60 hours a week. (Not a good trade, BTW.) Now he can leave me in his dust if he wants to. (Having really long legs gives him an unfair advantage, I think.)

Our solution is for me to lead. I set a pace that I can handle, and he stays a ways behind me, close enough that we can have a conversation, but not so close that he's walking up my butt. After many conversations about this -- both before a hike and on the trail -- it seems clear that he likes this arrangement, and is happy to let me lead.

So my suggestion is to work out in advance that you'll lead. It's too easy for the lead person to just walk a normal pace, and the following person to struggle to keep up.

Good luck.

#122423 - 10/14/09 10:19 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

I agree, Daisy - first trips are not the place for "see ya later." I hope I didn't inadvertently imply that in one of my earlier comments - my buddy and I do occasionally separate for part of a day, but we've been at this a while. I'd never dream of suggesting it to someone on his first trip - and maybe not his second or tenth. For this to work, both of you have to be experienced - and able and willing to overnight on your own if you aren't able to link back up for some reason.

#122458 - 10/15/09 06:32 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: kbennett]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
The partner I generally go with is slower most of the time than me (part of that is due to age). At first I thought that I should be in the rear, but then I find with my pace I was always running up his back, which upsets my rhythm.

Now I will go ahead and if I get out of sight, I just find a pretty place on the trail to wait. That has actually increased my enjoyment of the trail even more than if I would be solo as it gives me chance to soak more of the views in.

#122503 - 10/16/09 05:08 PM Re: Asked to go along. Excited but unsure. [Re: ndsol]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I have hiked with partners over the years that do from 1 mph to trail running....I'd say most end up doing 2 mph or so with photo taking, "enjoying the view" (ie..breathers), getting snacks, etc. That is a very comfortable pace to hold day after day.

The biggest thing is not overdoing it right out of the gate. I learned long ago that I hate people who go running up the trail immediately. I prefer to amble and warm up then get to speed (less injuries that way!) but also with newbies one keeps the miles down. While an experienced hiker is prepared for long miles/hard elevation it can be overwhelming. So if it is someone who hasn't come with us before we keep it under 10 miles - no death marches. I do have a couple friends who would hike all day without stopping (I will do this on death marches when it gets close to 20 miles) so I make sure we DO stop and relax every hour. After all it needs to be fun. The torture is for later, when you willingly sign up for it crazy

Anyways, don't worry about your friend being in better shape. But DO take the time to start walking on a regular basis. Get your shoes of choice worn in a bit (avoid blisters that way!) and to help develop your legs. Walk with a pack on - even a daypack to get used to it.

And do get a couple books out of the library on navigation smile It is easier than it looks and can be fun! Research the area he wants to take you to - look up online photos, trip reports, etc - it will get you excited to go!

But the best advice I can give you? Don't let yourself get stressed if you are behind them - that only leaves you feeling worse. Instead...smile, breathe deeply and walk at your pace. With a good map and skills you will be OK.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum