Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121818 - 10/03/09 06:37 PM 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ???
2brnot2b Offline

I backpack in MA, CT, and NY mostly in June, July, Aug, and Sept. where the normal lows are between 50 and 65 F.

I *occasionally* might backpack in April and October with normal lows in the low 30's.

If I plan on getting two good bags, should I get a 40 and a 15 or a 35 and a 10 or some other combination?

I currently have a cheaper synthetic Mountain Hardwear Flip 25/40 which is a little too hot for summer and too cold for low 30's, even with a liner. This is why I am stearing away from one 30 degree bag. I expect a little discomfort when backpacking, but am eager to minimize it!

I'm leaning toward a good down Montbell for the summer bag and WM for the spring / fall one.

I guess I would switch to the warmer bag when it got down into the lower 40's. I like to be warm not borderline or cool.

What do you think? Oh, Contrail Tarptent and Therma rest Z lite if you're curious.

Edited by 2brnot2b (10/03/09 06:45 PM)

#121833 - 10/03/09 10:29 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: 2brnot2b]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You might consider a 40-degree bag like the Western Mountaineering Mitylite. It might be multi-purpose enough that you won't need that second bag. I believe, from my own experience, that it may really be a 35-degree bag.

I camp in the same temperature ranges you do, in Ohio and Kentucky.

The Mitylite is a hoodless bag, and actually has 2 zippers: one around the foot, and a long one from ankle to shoulder. Unzip them both, and the bag lays open like a quilt at home. Zip only the foot zipper, and you have a quilt with a footbox. Zip up the long zipper, and leave the foot open for ventilation. Zip them both as the temperature falls.

In the warmer temperatures, I sleep in shorts and a T-shirt. Depending on how warm it is, I may leave the foot zipper closed. However, I always leave the side zipper open and use it like a quilt.

As the temperatures fall toward 40, I wear midweight long johns and top to sleep in, zip both zippers, and cinch the bag around my shoulders. I wear a stocking cap or balaclava, depending on temperature, to keep my head warm (no hood, remember?)

To go lower than 40, I take along down booties, light down jacket and pants (think Patagonia hooded down sweater and Montbell UL down inner pants), and maybe down mittens. You could use similar synthetic garments (Patagonia Micropuff hooded jacket and pants, for example.) This gives me clothing to sit around camp in the evening. I then simply wear some or all of it to bed, over midweight long johns and top. The hood on the jacket works as well as any sleeping bag hood (and lets you roll from side to side more easily.) I've used this combination of clothing and bag into the mid-20's and stayed nice and warm.

Lately, I've also been experimenting with a Thermarest Ventra quilt, though I haven't had it down to freezing yet. I like it, and took it down close to 40 with lightweight long johns and a stocking cap a couple of weeks ago. So far, I like it really well.

One last thing: if you're going to push a bag into colder weather, you might want to beef up that pad. It has an R2.2 rating; the Prolite Plus pads have an R3.8 rating. It won't matter how warm the bag is, if the cold seeps up from the ground. (But you probably already know that, and add padding in colder weather.)

#121863 - 10/04/09 01:11 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: 2brnot2b]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The temp ratings for sleeping bags are notoriously unreliable. Some companies rate bags very conservatively. Others rate them very unrealistically. Some people sleep warm. Others sleep cold.

My only point is that your question revolves around sleeping bag ratings in very small 5 degree increments. But the ratings are so inexact that they wholly negate the small differences you are inquiring about.

The answers you get will need to navigate this ratings problem.

#121874 - 10/04/09 04:51 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree - ratings vary significantly from brand to brand. (For example, the Ventra and Mitylite I mentioned are both rated as 40-degree bags by their manufacturers. However, based on my experience with both, I'd put the Ventra at 45, and the Mitylite at 35 - not quite comparable.

However, within a single manufacturer's line of bags, you can at least rely on the ratings to give you an idea of how warm one bag is versus another. (For example, my WM Mitylite is about 10 degrees warmer than my Megalite - and both are about 5 degrees warmer than their 40 and 30 degree ratings, respectively.)

#121876 - 10/04/09 08:05 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: 2brnot2b]
2brnot2b Offline

You're right, either "split" will probably work just about as well as the other.

I'm pretty much sold on the roomier WM 15 degree bag for those cool fall nights (and cool early spring ones), because the WM 40 degree Mitylite bag is heavier, and, I think, shorter (I'm 6' and move a lot when I sleep) than Montbell UL SS Stretch 5 long.

I guess what I'd like to know next is whether the Montbell bags at the cooler end of the range are bags that most people would rate accurately. Is the Montbell U.L. 40 degree bag one that seems to experienced folks closer to 35 or 45 (granted, from their point of view)?

#121887 - 10/04/09 10:51 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: 2brnot2b]
skinewmexico Offline

Doesn't look to me like either split fits the temps you hike in. But I would second something from Western Mountaineering (30-35 degree), they are well known for conservative temp ratings, and made in the USA. And gorgeous. Then buy an ultralight quilt for hiking in the 50s.

#121889 - 10/04/09 11:19 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: skinewmexico]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
I tend to find sleeping bag ratings to be fairly optimistic and as I get older, I tolerate shivering less and less.

#122085 - 10/08/09 10:27 PM Re: 2 bags: 30 & 10 [Re: 2brnot2b]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
You'll want a 30 F. bag for 3-season camping and a larger 10 F. bag for winter. For REALLY cold weather you should be able to put the 30 bag insidethe 10 F. bag.

Eric

#122320 - 10/13/09 01:17 PM Re: 2 bags: 40 & 15 or 35 & 10 ??? [Re: 2brnot2b]
jivebaby Offline

I camp at similar times and find my western mountaineering bags rated at 35 and 20 cover all the bases. I have a highlite rated at 35 and a alpinelite rated at 20 degrees. I have taken the highlite down to 30 and the alpinelite down to 15 without problems. I would recommend a sleeping pad or combination of sleeping pads with a higher N rating if you plan on camping on frozen ground. These bags cover me for everything except my winter camping. Personally I find it hard to beat the western mountaineering bags. Oh and I also use my bags with a tarptent, specifically the original squall without problems.

Mike

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum