Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121374 - 09/23/09 12:08 AM Got my Moment solo tent
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Today the nice UPS man delivered my Moment TarpTent. I immediately set it up in my back yard for seam sealing, which I'll do tomorrow, after it stretches a bit.

The Moment has even MORE attention to detail than my former Contrail, and very clever details at that. How about Velcro strips inside the roof vents to close them in huricanes? Or internal vent clips to open them a bit more? How about an internal clip on narrow tape to hold up the bottom of the backside fly for more ventilation? And it goes on and on. Heck, there are things on the tent I haven't even figured out yet. (My wife would say that's no surprise.) Henry must have spent a lot of time testing this bugger and refining it.

There's room enough in the closed vestibule to put your pack beside the entrance and then cook in the entrance area. There's a small Fastex-type buckle at the bottom of the fly zipper so you can have the door closed but the zipper open for better venting - say when cooking (VERY carefully)in the vestibule in rainy weather.

True to Tarptent tradition all the fasteners are lightweight but perfectly strong for their job. There's even a netting floor at either end for your coffee cup or Boy Scout Field Manual to rest.

With the crossing pole in place you can pick the tent up and move it around, off of that anthill you just discovered.

As Franco down in Aus. (OZ) might say, "It's too right." And it is. Henry's done it yet again.

Eric

#121377 - 09/23/09 12:44 AM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Great news Eric
How about some pictures now... ????
(put some stuff in that tent, like a mat and a pack..)
Franco

#121378 - 09/23/09 01:05 AM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Photos coming tomorrow Franco. I'll post several W/my pack in the vestibule, the crossing pole, headroom, etc. including the many small details Henry designed in. That guy constantly amazes me.

Gonna use it on a short trip this weekend!

Eric

#121415 - 09/23/09 05:56 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Great..
Can you take a picture of those mysterious ladder buckles attachments you mentioned at BPL ?
Franco

#121423 - 09/23/09 11:03 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: Franco]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

So how does it compare to the scarp 1?
Browse my pictures

#121609 - 09/28/09 10:07 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: 300winmag]
dralahiker Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Eric,
Thanks for sharing the info ASAP. I've waited with baited breath (salmon in this case) for your impressions.

I love my Cloudburst, but of course it's now "old news" and I NEED the newest, lightest and greatest of Henry's creations.

I wonder what the backlog is on Moments?

Now if I called Henry on Tuesday...where the heck is my plastic card?

Bill looking forward to fall camping in a Moment

#121697 - 09/30/09 03:24 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: phat]
earlylite Offline

Loc: New England
I think the big differences is that the Moment is for 3 season use and the scarp 1 is for 4-season (although it's too warm for me except in late fall or winter.

The Moment is also 28 oz and the Scrap 1 is well over 40 oz. Otherwise, the architecture is very much the same, with the suspended inner tent.

#121702 - 09/30/09 05:56 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: earlylite]
hshires Offline

Loc: Nevada City, CA
Originally Posted By earlylite
I think the big differences is that the Moment is for 3 season use and the scarp 1 is for 4-season (although it's too warm for me except in late fall or winter.

The Moment is also 28 oz and the Scrap 1 is well over 40 oz. Otherwise, the architecture is very much the same, with the suspended inner tent.

The Scarp/Hogback models are double-wall with clip-in interiors. The Moment is single-wall, one-piece construction. Both models have carbon fiber, foldable ends/corners and a central arch. The Scarp has dual entries whereas the Moment has one entry.

-H

#122019 - 10/07/09 02:36 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: 300winmag]
300winmag Offline

I must add that when I seam sealed my Moment the sealer began to drip down the top so I just went ahead and "painted" the top half of the tent with seam sealer.

I figure that will prevent any "misting-through" of the silnylon in a really severe downpour. If I added half an ounce I'll be surprised, but the peace of mind is worth the tiny bit of extra weight.

Also I'm adding a small strip of Velcro to the foot end of the "pocket" attatchment point in order to hold the end closure flap up when I want full ventilation. Then I'll snip off the tie-back ribbons. This makes for a fast, one-handed operation.

For the vestibule and netting doors I'm also removing the tie-back ribbons and using Velcro strips, as the Contrail has. I dunno why Henry went with these more fussy-to-use ribbons for the Moment. They are simple but not as fast to use as Velcro strips. In the unlikely event the Velcro strips ever got iced or full of snow I could still tie them.

Eric

#122028 - 10/07/09 07:39 PM Re: Got my Moment solo tent [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Hi Eric
Nice to see that you have managed to find something to fiddle with, IE "personalise", your Moment.
I have thought about doing the top panel of the Contrail but never got around to. I have had both mist from inside and outside (penetration) but never enough to wet my bag or anything like that. ( not like under Epic...)
I have also been pondering if it would be better doing the inside or the outside and that has been enough to allow my procrastination. Doing the inside would make it a bit awkward to wipe the condensation down as my cloth would stick rather than glide. Doing the outside will provably pick up some dust/sand ( let us know...) .
Nice pics BTW...

"For the vestibule and netting doors I'm also removing the tie-back ribbons and using Velcro strips, as the Contrail has"
I noticed that with the Scarp and thought it either had to do with the icing up bit or customer's feedback. You know how we all want something different...
Franco

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum