Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121451 - 09/24/09 06:14 PM Water bag with a spout?
GqGeek81 Offline

I've been looking at the Platypus cleanstream but I have a few issues with it.

I don't need the 'clean' bag that the filtered water ends up in as I will likely be using gatorade bottles.

I've noticed you can buy just the filter which has me thinking about just putting on a 'hiker's friend' style set up per Jardine.

I haven't been able to find a bag with a spout however aside from ULA's Amigo and the Seychelle setup which both come with a filter. The platypus tank bags and their Big Zip hydration bladder would work but I'm not saving much if any money over just buying the whole Cleanstream and tossing the bag I don't need.

So... does anyone either know of a suitable lightweight bag with a spout or know of an easy way to install a spout on something like the Antigravity gear bag?

I'm NOT wanting to run a siphon tube as I find that a bit fiddly, nor do I like the method Jardine suggests to do it using a ruber band and synthetic sinew.

I may be able to make a suitable bulkhead fitting with some threaded nylon tubing from the local bigbox hardware store along with some nylon nuts, washers and orings but I was curious if someone has a better idea.

#121460 - 09/24/09 09:33 PM Re: Water bag with a spout? [Re: GqGeek81]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The box wines and the boxes of coffee from Starbucks come with spouts.

The only way to fill them, however, is by popping off the spout housing.

#121463 - 09/24/09 09:58 PM Re: Water bag with a spout? [Re: DJ2]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I've used box wine bladders for years. They work fine once you get the hang of jerking the valve off.

#121497 - 09/25/09 04:48 PM Re: Water bag with a spout? [Re: GqGeek81]
GqGeek81 Offline

Here's what I worked out today.

I used the Nalgene bottle method to create a bulkhead seal through a wally world nylon dry bag.

The projects you'll find online doing this also mount a filter inside the bag. I did not go that route as I intend to use a CleanStream filter hanging below the bag.

In the middle of the Nalgene bottle top I drilled a 3/4" hole with a Fostner bit because its what I had handy.

I then put a #13 oring from Lowes in the threaded side of a 3/8" barb by 1/2"MIP nylon fitting.

I found a push to connect fitting in Lowes that had a female 1/2" threaded plastic section and a brass end on the other side. Its kind of hard to describe but the female end is obviously meant to screw on while the rest remains stationary. The female part has 3 'wings' so its sort of like a wingnut. You'd know it if you saw it.

I pushed/screwed in the threads of the nylon barbed fitting onto the lid and on the inside of the lid I screwed on the wingnut to tighten things up and keep it from being able to pull out the lid. The wings work perfectly to act as a washer and make it easy to screw on.

I cut off the top section of the water bottle and left a bit of the shoulder on it. I smoothed the edges here. I've got some fine mesh I intend to stretch over the opening and secure with a rubber band to act as my pre-filter.

I then cut a hole in the center of the bottom of the bag that's probably 1-1/4" I just sort of eye balled it but it obviously needs to be smaller than the opening of the Nalgene bottle.

From inside the bag I pushed the chunk of bottle against the bottom of the bag trying to keep it centered with the hole in the bag in the middle of my bottle piece. From the outside, screwn down the lid with the fabric stuck between the two. You end up with a sack with what looks like a nalgene lid stuck to the bottom and a nylon barb fitting poking out of that.

I'm hoping to swing by REI this weekend and pick up a CleanStream filter and do some testing.

Just trying it out in the kitchen with a good gallon or so of water it was very promising. The Nalgene lid seals 100%. The fittings through the lid seal about 99%. It has a very very slow drip that wouldn't hurt anything.

I had a green thread protector from Lowes handy that fits perfectly over the barb. Its meant to push on the end of a bolt that sticks out on say a swing set and keep the metal from poking or cutting someone. It fits over the barb tight enough to act as kind of an inverted cork. This will likely be handy to stop up the barb while collecting water when I don't want hoses hanging all over the place.

I'll probably get a on/off valve and shower head fitting from REI that's meant for a camp shower bag. This will then work for water collection, especially when putting out the camp fire, as well as filtration and a shower.

I'll post pictures and weight once I've got it all put together.
It sounds like this will save me a good $30-40 over buying the whole Cleanstream and arguably do more.

#122329 - 10/13/09 03:24 PM Re: Water bag with a spout? [Re: GqGeek81]
Bear Cavalry Offline

Loc: Keweenaw Peninsula, MI
I was also thinking of box wine bags. Stop by you local frat, they should be able to hook you up.

#125501 - 12/18/09 02:20 PM Re: Water bag with a spout? [Re: Bear Cavalry]
CactusPete Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Can someone explain how to "pop off" the spout on wine bags? And are some easier that others?

Thanks!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum