Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121401 - 09/23/09 12:48 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Not sure what a mid-Life crisis is. I've been in a mid-life crisis all of my life. Still playing R&R at 56 and working on music that 20 somethings like. You can see what I mean, Go to
www.musicbuilder.com/calculated X
I can't stop now, I've tried several times and it doesn't work.
Besides, 56 is the new 36. I just forget stuff sometimes and that can't always be a bad thing. I think.....

#121402 - 09/23/09 12:52 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: norm]
chaz Offline

I would have to question that.

#121403 - 09/23/09 12:58 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: aimless]
chaz Offline

It's amazing to me how an employer can suck the life out of you. I know I left several decent paying gigs because someone wanted to own my life,time etc. I've always been much happier doing my own thing and making it on what I earn.

#121533 - 09/26/09 03:29 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: chaz]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Relationships can do that too. crazy

I agree... find work you love, job satisfaction goes a long way. I could be paid better if I went to a different company, but having already worked for them I know exactly how I would be treated, and the extra few bucks an hour just isn't worth it. I don't get paid what I'm worth, but I'm a valued member of our team, and believe me, that has kept me going through some really bad financial times!

MNS

#121829 - 10/03/09 10:03 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Swimswithtrout Offline

Loc: Colorado
Two years ago I did the longest duration, self- supported trip of my life...so far. 52 yrs old at the time and a 25 day trip wandering the Beartooth's, 17 days straight of xc hiking. I'm looking forward to a longer trip in the Wind's, my favorite Range.

I've been self-employed for the past 25 yrs and I felt it was finally time to use the perks of not having to see how much vacation time I had accrued.

#122833 - 10/23/09 09:46 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Swimswithtrout]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
At age 40 for fathers day. I bought a Harley. Year later I bought a mini pop up camper to pull behind it. Wife and I love it. About 3 years later I took wife and kids back to Great Smokey Mtns Nat. Park. I had not been there since 1981. I spent two Chrismas vacations backpacking there with my Dad in High School. I hiked almost every day myself this trip, up to 12 miles a day. June 28, 2008 Dad and best friend next to my wife passed away! March 2010 Im returning to GSNP in Memory! I am backpacking again for 4 days. Anybody that would like to join in? I would be honored. I know Dad will be along for the hike!

#123168 - 10/30/09 01:32 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Tom don't waste any more time! Get out there on the trail with women and see who you can hike with. Even a strenuous day hike is a great testing ground for getting along. I took my wife in the canoe and she was so well-balanced that I knew instinctively she was going to be with me on the trip. She also proved to be a keen backpacker although scared of bears, heights, and cold nights. It is what a partner will do despite her fears or dislikes that proves their quality.

Luckily for men, it is never too late to start a family! Just remember, it isn't always who you think looks perfect who will end up staying the course.

#123181 - 10/30/09 06:14 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Kent W]
sabre11004 Offline

WOW !!! That sounds like it would be a great trip. I have spent many days in the SMNP and it's a great place to be. we are going up there in the middle of November and plan to spend three or four days some where up near Clingman's Dome or just north of there. I also did some camping near Cade's Cove in the early seventies but that area has really changed since then. I don't know if you can even hike up there any more. That's back when every one carries 60 lb. packs and could do nothing but sleep once you got to where you could because you were so darn tired from carrying such a heavy load. Although we were a lot younger then, the load still took it's toll after a few miles walking...sabre11004... sleep sleep sleep sleep

#124971 - 12/09/09 01:43 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Chris Witzgall Offline

Loc: North Carolina
We are handling ours, by selling most everything, and taking off cruising on our sailboat for a year or two. Wanna buy a house?

Chris

#125204 - 12/14/09 05:32 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
madyarddog Offline

Loc: Indiana
To TomM,it is never too late!if u have been mulling over the subject for a while maybe it"s time to settle down and start a family,besides u are only 46 thats not old in my book.I restarted my life over with my significate other at 40 and 15 years later we are still together and enjoy each others company.But the only differance is we did"nt want to have any more kids,besides she was"nt able to do so anymore anyways.But I hope if u start searching or if u allready have someone in mind the key to a good relationship is communication,honestyand comittment GOOD LUCK..............MYD.

Edited by madyarddog (12/14/09 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: oops

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum