Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121258 - 09/20/09 11:33 PM Homemade tarp and hammock
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
So, I recently made my own hammock and tarp. The tarp is cool because I used uncoated ripstop, and coated it with silicon to make my own silnylon. I got that idea from Hammockforums.

I don't think I like how the corner tie outs turned out. I did the ridgeline tieouts differently, and like them better. The total figures are the tarp is 8' X 10' and weighs 26 oz. I was expecting 16 oz, so I guess it wasn't as light as I thought. But, I probably spent less than $15 for the whole thing.

For the hammock, I just made a gathered end hammock with material that is far too heavy. I plan to make a second one with 1.1 oz ripstop. The bug netting is just an army cot bug net with two holes in it for the suspension. It doubles as just a bug net for when I only want to use the tarp with no hammock. The tarp has side tie outs like Jardine does on his tarps. The inside of the tie outs makes a nice place to tie the four corners of the bug net. I also made the aluminum suspension tightener. I got that idea from Hammockforums as well. No original ideas here.

#121271 - 09/21/09 07:55 AM Re: Homemade tarp and hammock [Re: finallyME]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Looks good! My homemade hammock looks about the same only I sewed a wide hem on the ends for the rope to slip through.
Curious why you made your own silnylon? Have you tested yours in weather yet?
I use those army cot bug nets for cots. Found that the bug net bought at the Girl Scout store (we had a troop for 12 years) weighs a third what the cot nets weight.

The tensioners are aluminum? How did you mill out the slots?

Nice job! Tell us how it sleeps.

#121272 - 09/21/09 09:10 AM Re: Homemade tarp and hammock [Re: Dryer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Yes, the tensioners are aluminum. I actually cheated and had my machinist at work mill it out, then I finished it off with a file and sand paper. I guess that means I didn't make it, although I did draw it up in Solidworks.

Yeah, the bug net is pretty heavy. I will be looking for lighter solutions. I also need to make a new hammock as this one is made with the wrong stuff. It is pretty comfortable, despite the fact that it doesn't stretch. I have some 1.1 oz nylon for the next one, and I think it will work better. This was my very first one to test out.

I made my own silnylon because it was cheaper, I can choose a larger range of colors, and because I wanted to see if I could do it. I had my doubts if it would work. But, I had my wife spray it with the hose while I sat under it for 15 minutes, and didn't see any leaks. Considering I live in Utah, that is probably enough.

Anyways, it was a fun project, and a lot of learning. Now I am working on making it better because there is a lot I can do to improve.

#121297 - 09/21/09 06:31 PM Re: Homemade tarp and hammock [Re: finallyME]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've got about 30 yds. of Silnylon bought at Walmart $1 table.
Just look around or put out a WTB on this and other outdoor websites. For my first homemade hammock, I used plain old ripstop, uncoated, full width off the bolt, and it's still going strong. I've used plastic sheet, plastic blue tarps, coated ripstop, and finally silnylon for flies, all worked well but 1.3 oz. silnylon wins in the weight department.
See if there is a Girl Scout store in your area and check out their bug nets. Much lighter....it's simply cheap netting with smaller holes. I've found it in all fabric places. Gotta say, your rain fly looks pretty slick in 'digital camo'!
Your project will morph into exactly what works best for you...part of the fun!

#121354 - 09/22/09 08:40 PM Re: Homemade tarp and hammock [Re: finallyME]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
Looks good!

Just some thoughts...

Is that tubular nylon webbing for the hammock straps? Nylon stretches, and tubular webbing weighs more.

I'd cut off the tarp D rings. If plastic, they'd be too weak. If metal, unnecessary weight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum