Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121124 - 09/18/09 11:22 AM Lightweight Backpacking Boots
Trekker Offline

Loc: NJ
It is funny how you see people trail hiking in tennis shoes or low-rise hikers. These offer no ankle support, a must if you have weight on your back. The last hike I did, we hiked up a muddy streambed for hours; low rise hikers would not cut it.

My 20 year-old Vasque one-piece leather boots have a steel shank for sole rigidity (to support your weight when stepping on jagged rock edges all day). They have a Vibram sole that offers great traction and durabilty. The only problem is, they weigh 5.5 lbs and it feels like I am walking with wooden blocks on my feet.

Does any one have a recommendation for a pair of lightweight (sub 2 lbs), waterproof backpacking boots. Some of the lightweight boots I've looked at have fabric eyelets, which I think would wear out. The uppers are made of fabric and the soles are flexible and generally not Vibram. Do these hold up? I saw the Merrill Outbound in Outdoor magazine and it looks good.

Join me at: AdventureGearSite.com

#121135 - 09/18/09 02:46 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I felt the same way as you for years. Especially after several sprained ankles in my misspent youth, I felt that boots were a must for me and resisted all efforts to get me to switch to trail runners. I believe you will find that most of the experienced people on this board hike in trail runners (which are NOT sneakers or tennis shoes!).

Last fall I was finally persuaded to try trail runners. Not only are they far more comfortable, but they provide far better support for my severe pronation problems than have any pair of boots plus various sorts of insoles that I have tried. I have twisted my ankles in boots a number of times--they don't provide nearly as much ankle support as you'd think. I deliberately tried to twist my ankles in the trail runners (Montrail Hardrocks) but couldn't do it. On a 5-day trip in Wyoming's Wind Rivers last month, I wore the trail runners. My dog got sick during the trip, so I carried nearly all of his load for 3 days, putting my pack at well over 30 lbs. I never once missed the boots!

I also found out the hard way that Goretex for boots (it's almost impossible to find boots without Goretex these days) is not a good idea. Goretex lined footwear makes my feet sweat like crazy, so they are constantly wet. Once the boots get wet inside, they take days to dry. My Montrail Hardrocks (definitely not the lightest or fastest drying trail runner) dry out in less than half a day while I'm wearing them.

The one caveat I found is that it's a good idea to wear low gaiters with the trail runners, especially when mosquitoes are around!

EDIT: The low gaiters also help keep gunk (gravel, etc.) out of your shoes.

MORE EDIT: You would want to wear mountaineering type boots for mountaineering type trips, such as slogging through deep scree. But for normal hiking, even off-trail if not too arduous, well-fitting and supportive trail runners are fine.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/18/09 09:51 PM)

#121138 - 09/18/09 03:01 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
energy_turtle Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I bought a pair of Merrell Phaser Peaks for many of the reasons you stated, and on my hike last weekend they turned out to be a disaster. I've never been one to have foot problems with footwear (blisters, aching points, etc.) and had worn these around for a while before taking them on the trip, but after about 7 miles the tendons running along the top of my left foot began to ache like never before. Loosening laces did nothing. When I got home I found a nice red bruise there, a place I never thought I'd see a bruise. As far as fit goes, a size in either direction would be incorrect.

I think I'm going to make the switch to trail runners before my weeklong trip coming up 9/28.

#121144 - 09/18/09 03:53 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Trekker
These offer no ankle support, a must if you have weight on your back.

"a must" is a strong statement. I won't even argue it. But, I will argue that the only boots with actual ankle support are heavy mountaineering boots. A pair of lightweight backpacking boots don't have ankle support. A pair of heavyweight backpacking boots don't have have ankle support. In fact, my army boots that come up just under the calf muscle don't have ankle support. If you want ankle support, bring a brace. That is what I bring. But, most of the time I hike in trailrunners, even off trail on rocky ground with my way too heavy pack. I think I am at 35-40 lbs sometimes. I sprained my ankle a few months ago (softball mad ), so my ankles would be considered weak, yet they do just fine with a load on steep rocky terrain.

I used to feel the same way you do. Luckily I decided to switch to the dark side (we have cookies) and try out trailrunners. By the way, the only difference between lightweight boots and trailrunners is price, and weight.

But, this is my opinion. I am sure others don't feel the same way, and I accept that. To each their own. HYOH.

#121157 - 09/18/09 09:33 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
it's funny - actually get more ankle problems with boots than i do with trail runners. i credit it to pronation problems (similar sounding to oregonmouse's) and in boots I can't feel bad step until all my weight is on my foot. in trail runners, there's a little more feel, allowing me to make corrections before they're too late. i have a pair of nike's - i don't know the model as it's worn off, but have logged a couple hundred miles in them and love 'em. time to find something waterproof for fall/winter.

#121181 - 09/19/09 10:28 AM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
Roocketman Offline

I understand the "old fashiioned boot" mentality well.

The only thing that stopped me from continuing this mentality was that during my 20 year absence from backpacking, my feet grew too big for my oldfashioned Danner and Asolo boots.

The new boots are "disposable" and there is no more resoling to make them last a lifetime. Those days are pretty much over and gone for those who cannot afford custom handmade boots.

Having worn id height boots, and actually watched what happens around the ankle when going uphill, the "ankle support" argument clearly seems overstated. Higher boots, maybe there is "support".

I see that you are asking for "modern" weight and "old fashioned" performance - such as "waterproof" along with lightweight.

I agree with others here, that Goretex for boots is highly overrated. Thy make great sweat boxes, and poor boots.

I do, actually, understand your dismay at having to change viewpoint in order to get a new pair of boots. I do also wish you luck in filling your desires.

#121185 - 09/19/09 01:13 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I don't mean to "pile on" but I'm with the group consensus on this one. However, I think it does depend to some degree on the type of trip you're on, in terms of expected weather, length of trip, snow/no-snow, creek crossings, etc. I personally use shoes for all that stuff, in rare cases augmented with goretex socks, but for a weekend trip that's anticipated to be rainy and the mileage is low, many people might be happier in goretex shoes or boots.

OM said: "The one caveat I found is that it's a good idea to wear low gaiters with the trail runners, especially when mosquitoes are around!"

Here too it's a lot about individual preference. I almost always wear long pants, long enough that they cover my shoe tops. For me, gaiters are one more thing to fiddle with, they keep me warmer when I want to be cool, they make it less likely that i'll take my shoes off at a break, so I only wear gaiters in certain kinds of snow conditions or sometimes in rain/wet brush --- to keep my my goretex socks from wetting out early from the top down.

Sorry, I think I'm participating in thread drift here; I have no recommendations w.r.t. any particular type of boot.

#121187 - 09/19/09 02:27 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: BrianLe]
DJ2 Offline

Are goretex socks mosquito proof?

#121212 - 09/20/09 12:25 AM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By DJ2
Are goretex socks mosquito proof?

They are as mosquito proof as a gortex jacket.

#121227 - 09/20/09 11:06 AM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: DJ2]
BrianLe Offline

I can't imagine a mosquito being able to drink your blood through goretex socks --- if there are any like that, I don't want to meet such a swarm in a dark alley ...

That said, it seems like a pretty extreme way to defeat mosquitos. Just having long pant legs that cover my shoe tops works fine for me there, unless I sit or lay in such a way that a gap opens I guess.

#121229 - 09/20/09 12:10 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: BrianLe]
DJ2 Offline

You alluded to the problem I have about once a season in your last line:

"unless I sit or lay in such a way that a gap opens"

When I do this on a thick mosquito day the bugs will create a "bracelet" of bites around that small exposed area.

I recently bought a set of Dirty Girl gators to see if they will solve the problem. I don't like the fuss of gators, however. That's why I was considering the goretex socks.

#121246 - 09/20/09 10:03 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My pants cover my shoe tops, but they ride up when I sit down--just enough that the mosquitoes had a field day munching my ankles through my Smartwool socks.

I don't wear the gaiters unless I have to, but I will add swarming mosquitoes to the "have to" occasions!

#121259 - 09/20/09 11:38 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

DJ, I don't think gortex socks will solve the gap problem. Mine are mid calf height, and if my pants rode up high enough for mosquitoes to eat me with regular socks, gortex socks would be no different.

#121276 - 09/21/09 10:41 AM Free advertising on TLB [Re: Trekker]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Join me at…”

I see raising a ruckus and free advertising here. Isn’t that classified as a troll?

-Barry

#121285 - 09/21/09 01:38 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: finallyME]
BrianLe Offline

I actually think that Goretex socks could solve the gap issue, as mine at least are fairly high, but to me at least, it feels like killing a fly with a cannon ball. Unless the conditions are such that you actually want goretex socks for what they're made for, my inclination would be to go with some sort of gaitor --- or wool socks. At least in my experience, mosquitos find it challenging to bite through reasonably thick wool socks.

I use a different approach to the "gaps in coverage" issue --- in fact, my shirt is thin enough that they can nail me through it. For me it's a matter of keeping on the move while on the trail, being careful to select a windy or for whatever reason low bug area to take a lunch break, and then being efficient at minimal chores in camp and then climb into the tent (and stay there). It really depends on what your hiking style is, however, and just generally the nature of the trip.

#121287 - 09/21/09 01:44 PM Re: Free advertising on TLB [Re: BarryP]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
“Join me at…”

I see raising a ruckus and free advertising here. Isn’t that classified as a troll?

-Barry

The raising a ruckus part might... the advertising makes it spam. Except he isn't posting demands to visit his website, doesn't sell boots/shoes, and a link in a footer is what Sarbar does too, right?

But it seems an authentic question - I've heard the question before. Should I stick with "authentic" old fashioned boots or try something modern? With footwear it is totally arbitrary. What works for my feet may not work for yours. I can't wear heavy leather sweat boxes with "ankle support" - hurts my feet.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#121289 - 09/21/09 01:48 PM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: DJ2]
lori Offline

I have some Dirty Girls - they are for keeping junk out but are too thin to keep out skeeters. However, treat them with permethrin and you might succeed.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122154 - 10/11/09 10:20 AM Re: Lightweight Backpacking Boots [Re: Trekker]
wayoutthere Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I just brought a pair of Kayland lightweight boots. I took them on one 3 day hike. It was pretty wet for the entire time -- light rain and mist mostly. The boots kept my feet fairly dry. They are pretty comfortable and seem to be made extremely well. I am wondering how these boots will hold up over the long run. I am planning on going to Southern Spain this winter for a week and do some hiking. Anybody have any experience with these boots?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum