Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120989 - 09/15/09 10:27 PM A better telescoping spinning rod
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
After a lot of looking at what turned out to be cheapo telescoping rods I bought a nice Cabela's V1200 graphite, telescoping 6 ft. light spinning rod. It weighs 3.1 oz.!!

It looks fragile at the tip section but boy that sucker has a nice, smooth curve to it when arched. No flat spots, unlike take-apart ferruled rods. It's model # TPS60L. BTW, collapsed it's only 19" long and because it's telescoping it doesn't need a case, just the rubber tip "condom" to hold the sections in place.

I had a nice old (20 years old) Penn 420ss ultralight spinning reel that I put on. I'm sure there is a better, lighter Shimano UL reel out there but the Penn is still a good reel W/ a 5.1:1 retrieve ratio. But unfortunately it weighs 8.9 oz. but still it's about what other good UL spinning reels weigh these days.

Also I put white nail polish "indexing" dots on both sides of the joints so the line guides always line up correctly. The total unit weighs, W/reel & line, 12.1 oz. Notta too bad.

Yes, a 6 ft. rod may seem short to some fly fishermen out there but it's dandy for UL spinning. Are there better telescoping rods out there?? I want a telescoping rod for the ease of fast deployment.

Now, what nice selection of light lures for trout do you suggest?

Eric

#121008 - 09/16/09 10:26 AM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: 300winmag]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By 300winmag

Now, what nice selection of light lures for trout do you suggest.

Adjust-a-bubble mostly filled with water so it's heavy to cast and still floats, with a nice montana nymph (or anything else nice and suggestive) about 4-5 feet below it. Fling it out into the lake as far as it can go and retrieve so slowly the bubble barely makes a ripple in still water.

For moving water, Mepps or small little twister jigs.
Browse my pictures

#121018 - 09/16/09 01:32 PM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: phat]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I use to "fly fish" 4-6 foot spinning poles, leaving the spinning reel at home. Though you can over head cast that well you can still roll cast and kinda sling shot it.
I to kill it with the set up that phat talks about. Some type of worm, or red wood worm, live or imitation. Kills at the high elevation lakes.

#121128 - 09/18/09 01:05 PM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: 300winmag]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I've completely changed my approach to spin fishing since I started. I used to carry everything but the kitchen sink: Panther Martins, Mepps spinners, Kastmasters, Crocodiles, Phobes, Blue Foxes.

Now I just carry Panther Martins in four colors: gold blade w/ black & red body; gold blade w/ black & yellow body, silver blade w/ yellow body, and black blade w/ black body. I carry at least three of each in both size 1 and size 2. And I carry two each of the smallest size Kastmaster in gold and silver. Finally, I carry a small assortment of mini-jigs in browns and greens.

If it's overcast I throw the black-bladed PM's. If it's bright I try both silver and gold until I hit on what's working. Some times (particularly when stream fishing), they'll hit nothing but jigs. Since I went to this system I almost always out-fish my buddies who carry, in my opinion, way too much tackle.

#121171 - 09/19/09 02:08 AM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: Haiwee]
300winmag Offline

Thanks guys. In Pennsylvania I used the smallest Panther Martins to good effect on native brookies.
I like the bubble float idea. I have a few small jigs left that my buddy made commercially. (Jack's Jigs)

Eric

#121216 - 09/20/09 02:56 AM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: 300winmag]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
Panther Martins= reliable.

#121266 - 09/21/09 03:20 AM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: Bushman]
300winmag Offline

Today I got new 8 lb line put on my reel. That 20 year old reel is OK. I saw a top of the line Shimano UL spinning reel at our local Bass Pro Shop that was very smooth and very light. But, Mon Deu! $149.! I can buy al lot of trout at the supermarket for that.

Anyway, as I get back into fishing I'll maybe be interested enough to get a new reel in a year or so. I do love spin fishing with UL tackle.

Eric

#150012 - 05/07/11 09:48 PM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: 300winmag]
jwild Offline

I have had a basic Shakespeare telescopic rod for well over 10 years and have caught hundreds of fish on it including big pike. its only like 5 feet long but it has held up really well. I would recommend it if you don't want to spend tons of money..

#150083 - 05/09/11 12:42 AM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: 300winmag]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Not exactly a "lure" but I've had a lot of luck with powerbait and a really small salmon egg hook. Another option I've had luck with is a small inline spinner with a small rubber trout body (got it at walmart, not sure what its called).

One more good option (again, not sure what its called sorry) is a spoon type thing I learned about from someone fishing next to me on the river one day. I went and picked one up at the local tackle shop from remembering what it looked like. The simple description is it looks sorta like a paper clip. Basically its a skinny piece of metal, bent double with a small gap inbetween. The eye for the line is in the middle of the bend, and it has a double hook (not trebble, double) on the longer of the two "legs" that stick back from the bend. If I see one anytime soon I'll write the name down. Someone else here may know what they are though.

#151462 - 06/13/11 09:14 PM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: james__12345]
rickandanna Offline

Loc: solano co. ca.
Originally Posted By james__12345
Not exactly a "lure" but I've had a lot of luck with powerbait and a really small salmon egg hook. Another option I've had luck with is a small inline spinner with a small rubber trout body (got it at walmart, not sure what its called).

One more good option (again, not sure what its called sorry) is a spoon type thing I learned about from someone fishing next to me on the river one day. I went and picked one up at the local tackle shop from remembering what it looked like. The simple description is it looks sorta like a paper clip. Basically its a skinny piece of metal, bent double with a small gap inbetween. The eye for the line is in the middle of the bend, and it has a double hook (not trebble, double) on the longer of the two "legs" that stick back from the bend. If I see one anytime soon I'll write the name down. Someone else here may know what they are though.

criplure... thoes work great!

#151527 - 06/15/11 01:14 PM Re: A better telescoping spinning rod [Re: rickandanna]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Actually I just found the name. It is the Luhr Jensen Super Duper.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum