Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120450 - 09/06/09 05:56 PM 3 weeks in France
Erin Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
I'm looking into backpacking across France, spending 3 weeks there, in April, May or June 2010. I just want an idea of what places to go, what to check out, if there are special events/festivals going on etc. The cities I want to go to for sure are Paris, Nice and Bordeaux, but I want to add a couple others to that list.
I'd like to emphasize that I'm going to practice my French so I don't necessarily want to stay where there are English speakers all the time.
I want to stay in hostels.
Can anyone give me tips in terms of itinerary, what order to visit the cities in etc?

#120451 - 09/06/09 05:58 PM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: Erin]
Erin Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Also, should I be taking a train from city to city?

Any tips at all are great, I'm totally naive.

Sorry that this is so general!

#120464 - 09/06/09 11:40 PM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: Erin]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Erin
Also, should I be taking a train from city to city?

Any tips at all are great, I'm totally naive.

Sorry that this is so general!

Sorry to dissapoing Erin, but you may find this forum is more dedicated to lighweight wilderness backpacking, as opposed to the european type backpacking across the country. You may have some people with some expeience with it here, but possbily a bit by accident.

Browse my pictures

#120467 - 09/07/09 01:10 AM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: Erin]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I concur--this forum is for American style backpacking, called wilderness trekking by Europeans. I have traveled a lot in France, but my last trip was 8 years ago so I can't give you current info.

I strongly recommend you read a guidebook--my preference has been either Rough Guide or Lonely Planet, depending on which has the most recent edition. You can get plenty of advice over on the Lonely Planet Forum, but you need to ask specific questions, not general ones. Otherwise they'll give you the same advice I just did--read a guidebook first.

The French railroad system is a great way to get around. However, with only three weeks, I suggest limiting your stay to only 2-3 areas. Obviously one of those will be Paris and vicinity, where you can spend well over a week.

Watch out for 3- and 4-day holiday weekends occurring April through June that, at least in the US, we don't even think about--Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, V-E Day--accommodations will be full so you'll need to reserve in advance. Most schools and universities have several weeks off around Easter, adding to the crowds.

I several times had the experience of going into a hostel dorm room, introducing myself in French and discovering that everyone in the room was American, British or Australian! The one place I went where there were only French people present was a hostel in Corsica (most of the guests were from Paris and vicinity). It's amazing how much your French improves when you have to speak it all the time, even for only a week! Unfortunately, in most places, unless your French is good enough for you to pass as a native, as soon as you open your mouth most people switch to English. If you can possibly arrange a homestay, that's the best way to improve your French.

Bon voyage!

#120468 - 09/07/09 01:11 AM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: phat]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
Hey man its easy, you jump on a train them camp some where. You can stay in the shit holes or just urban camp. Gets cold at night up north but down south it was nice.
Even better is getting a bike and riding town to town, camp in the country. You know get a map and compass and learn what meters are haha. Thats really "backpacking europe" Did it over a month and ended up in Spain! Clubs there are nuts!

#120479 - 09/07/09 02:09 PM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: Bushman]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I agree, it's not the best forum to post in...

I can be of some help smile., but you will have to do your homework before: find some guidebooks and do a bit of reading, make some plans about what you're interested in (art? history? city life? countryside? seaside? mountains?...)3 weeks is rather short, and you can't see it all, but if you manage well, you can still visit and experience a lot.
Visit other travel related sites, or blogs, like Lonely Planet (meet you there!)

#120542 - 09/08/09 01:42 PM Re: 3 weeks in France [Re: Erin]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
Would this help? Not sure about the camping, however. I did some of Spain and it was lots of fun.
http://about-france.com/tourism/long-distance-footpaths.htm

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum