Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116602 - 05/27/09 12:57 PM Trail Runners
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I'm finally trying to make the swtich to trail runners. I have moisture management issues with my feet that I theorize will be at least partially fixed by shoes with quick drying uppers. So, with that said what are some shoe brands I should look at? I am basically looking for something with a stiffer sole that will shield me from feeling every little pebble on the trail. I have already tried some of the Salomons, and the New Balance 909s. I am also planning on trying on some Inov-8s. Any other suggestions?

#116636 - 05/28/09 12:01 AM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Berserker]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I really like my Solomons. I have had them for about 4 years now and they are still going strong. They haven't leaked yet either, and I have been in some pretty good downpours. The soles are tough. Made in such a way that rocks wont penetrate. I would certainly buy another pair.

Howie

#116646 - 05/28/09 08:30 AM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Howie]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
I like the solomons as well, but only in wet conditions during short runs. Once they're wet, they stay wet.

I tried a pair of golite trail fly 2 weeks ago on a 16mi run that I ended up in the water about 1/2 through, they dried within the next 15 minutes. Unfortunately, like others who reviewed this shoe, I don't think the uppers will wear well, I've already ripped the top.

#116656 - 05/28/09 10:56 AM Re: Trail Runners [Re: acronym]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Check out Oboz footwear.
I am very happy with my Ignitions.
I am also trying a pair of Oboz Tetons. These have a very stiff sole that I am enjoying.

TV

#119674 - 08/21/09 07:54 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: redroach]
jsrumb Offline

Loc: southern cal
I have been sold on Montrail Continental Divides, or Hardrocks.
The Divides are a little cooler in summer.....the Hardrocks warmer in winter months. Unbeatable comfort/durability.
Just make sure to go a size up, as they run a little small!

#119675 - 08/21/09 08:19 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Berserker]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I have used several generations of Asics Gel Trabucos. I've tried on a lot of others but these continue to fit me best, and they work well for me, both on trail and off. If I could fit them, I'd try some Montrails, as I like their designs, but they just don't fit my wacky feet.

#119679 - 08/21/09 09:15 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Berserker]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA
A lot of trail runners are made with extra motion control. Go to a running store that can analyze your gait and make sure that you need that motion control.

#119701 - 08/22/09 03:42 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Echterling]
dash4689 Offline

Loc: TX
I bought a pair of Hardrocks which have served me well on a 5 day trip to the Colorado high country. But I feel very disjointed because they offer me little protection from wet feet. I did buy a pair of gortex socks but that only works if the water doesn't come over the top. I don't mind crossing a creek without the socks but I do mind multiple crossings and/or slogging thru wet trails and meadows.

I've tried wrapping the top of socks a couple of times to seal with a light bungee cord to keep out water, but in tests in my bath tub, that is only marginally successful.

I could go back to the old gortex boot solution with crocks for wading, but I was hoping for someething lighter. How have other's solved this problem?

#119731 - 08/23/09 01:20 AM Re: Trail Runners [Re: dash4689]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My Montrail Hardrocks are great--I just tested them on a backpacking trip that, while aborted, had me carrying over 30 lbs. to spare my sick dog. I never once missed my boots! The Hardrocks control my pronation problems much better than the boots ever did.

My one complaint is that, once wet, they stay wet for a long time. Not nearly as bad as my Goretex lined boots, but enough to keep my feet wet most of the day. Lighter trail runners would dry faster, but would they give me the support I need?

Edited by OregonMouse (08/23/09 01:20 AM)

#119744 - 08/23/09 12:24 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: OregonMouse]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well it would depend on what kind of support your looking for to tell the truth. A good many issues can be solved by finding a new insole, whether it be flat footedness, higher arches, orthodpedics, or just the need for more heel cushioning. Of course if you're talking about say the stiffness of the outter sole of the show and not wanting something too stiff or too flexible, that'll probably depend upon the shoe itself.

#119983 - 08/27/09 01:43 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Berserker]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
Well, since this thread became "active" again I thought I would give an update of what I've done thus far. I bought a bunch of different shoes from Zappos to try out. So far I really like the NB 909s. The Montrail Hardrocks fit me fairly well and I have been using them to train in, but am not sure if I would be comfortable hiking in them. I got a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that I haven't really decided what I think about them yet. And finally, I got a pair of Asics Gel Khanas (at a local Kohls for like $50) that I am going to test out.

With all that said, the 909s are the only shoes that have been out on an actual trip so far. I did 33.5 miles on the AT, and it went really well. I developed no blisters, and my feet didn't get nearly as damp as they normally do. I still need to get them out in the rain though. That should get resolved this weekend.

As far as my comment on the stiffness of the soles, I have decided from this experiment in trying a bunch of shoes that I actually like more flexible les stiff soles. It took me a while to get my feet used to trail runners (i.e. carrying a load on actual trails), but once I got there I don't mind a thinner more flexible sole. I really like the soles on the 909s. They are very flexible, but have something in them (a plastic shank?) that effectively keeps sharp things (like pointed rocks) from being painful to step on.

One thing of note is that I do use inserts in my shoes. I used to use Superfeet (green), but I tried out some of the moldable Sole inserts. I bought the slim sport version, and I love them.

#120193 - 09/02/09 01:55 PM Re: Trail Runners [Re: Berserker]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I really like my Hard Rocks, but have been using the Oboz Ignitions for the last year. Good shoes, but the sole is not as stiff as I like.
Great for running though. Love the bootie design. Keeps stuff out and keeps it on my feet even if it comes untied on the move.

TV

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum