Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119959 - 08/27/09 09:40 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: OregonMouse]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
In case you hadn't noticed, this is a lightweight backpacking site.

What is the maximum weight allowed for a stove to be on this Church of the Lite site.

To keep cults from preaching the rules should be posted. The way I calculate it I may

not be as heretical as you think unless using heat inside a shelter to get dry is

against all principles of righteousness.

windscreen,stove, fuel and containter total weight vs. 2lb. stove and chimney.

Maybe I can use titanium and become worthy.

What would be the penance or penalty for those who convert to be a chimney carrying heretic.

Edited by chimpac (08/27/09 09:55 AM)

#119963 - 08/27/09 10:12 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
lori Offline

I have very little respect for someone who shows up in forums - online communities - and spends just about every post they make trying to convince someone to buy into something they are trying to sell. I for one refuse to buy items from people who do this, even if I was interested in the item itself. It may not be overt spam, but it's freakin' annoying.

Especially when you get all sanctimonious when someone calls you on it. Spam is spam, Sam I am, and you have earned my "ignore" hammer.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119964 - 08/27/09 10:19 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My stove (isobutane canister) weighs 3.5 oz. and a small fuel canister (enough for a week for me) is 8.1 oz. Total stove weight with fuel is 11.6 oz. A lot of people think my option is too heavy! If I switched to using alcohol as a fuel, the stove plus windscreen would weigh half as much but the fuel plus container for a week would probably be close to the same (the weight advantages of alcohol stoves disappear with longer trips because the fuel is a bit heavier). I've been considering a switch, but the canister stove is so convenient that I probably won't.

I've already noted that using wood for fuel is definitely not an option and is, in fact, illegal in the Rockies and in the Cascades near or at timberline, where I prefer to backpack. Even if fires aren't prohibited due to high fire danger (an annual event in Pacific Northwest summers), there isn't enough fuel at those altitudes to allow campers to build even small fires without stripping the place of its last dry twig (unfortunately common in more popular spots).

Silicone-coated nylon tents or tarps, which most of us use because they are considerably lighter than their urethane-coated counterparts, are also not flame-resistant, so using a wood stove inside would be highly dangerous.

A wood stove is practical only for those who, in winter, use pulks (sleds) to haul their stuff, or for horse packers.

If you want to carry a 50-60 pound pack, go for it. Most of us prefer to carry half that weight or less and be far more comfortable. Some of us (me included) physically cannot carry such loads. In fact, I had to give up backpacking altogether after a knee injury, until I discovered lightweight gear, mostly thanks to this site. Try going lighter, you'll like it!

Are you here on this forum only to disparage those who don't buy your products?

#119968 - 08/27/09 10:39 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By chimpac
In case you hadn't noticed, this is a lightweight backpacking site.

What is the maximum weight allowed for a stove to be on this Church of the Lite site.

To keep cults from preaching the rules should be posted. The way I calculate it I may

not be as heretical as you think unless using heat inside a shelter to get dry is

against all principles of righteousness.

Maybe I can use titanium and become worthy.

What would be the penance or penalty for those who convert to be a chimney carrying heretic.

You see, what we have never heard from you is "Oh,yeah, you're right, my stove/chimney would not be appropriate in (national parks, alpine zones, etc). It would be nice to have a rational conversation with you in regard to the advantages AND LIMITATIONS of your approach. (I hope you are aware that you are not the first to think of this approach or speak of it on this forum.)

Since you appear to be either incapable or unwilling to recognize that there are always tradeoffs with any solution (and people who make different choices are not being willfully stupid but usually have a legitimate basis for their decision), it is extremely difficult to trust your comments because they certainly fit all the criteria of shameless marketing -- whether that is your intent or not.

Hey, I've been interested in the tent stove idea ever since looking at the Titanium Goat stuff and would be interested in a reasoned discussion of the topic. I'd even be interested in hearing a shameless marketing plug comparing your product to others already in that market space. However your approach here so far makes it difficult for me to rely on the value of your words -- much less consider buying a product from you.

#119971 - 08/27/09 10:52 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey a stove under a tarp makes sense...some times. I saw your posts in the canadian winter trekking forum that Tomd loves so much (I don't blame him, I like it too, although I am only a lurker). That forum is for people who winter camp in a place that is extremely cold with no fire ban and lots of wood. Since they drag all their stuff on sleds, lighter is better, and carrying a 2 lb stove instead of a 10 lb stove is genius. You also posted about the stove in a wilderness survival forum. It makes sense there as well. In fact, if you would have posted about your stove on this site in the winter camping area, it would be a good fit for some. But, you fail to realize that it is not a good fit for most of the people on this site, especially when they only 3 season hike. 3 season in the lower 48 is a lot different than 3 season in Alberta. Also, a lot of people in the lower 48 can't have a fire (we call it a fire ban), even if it is in a stove. And, when you combine warm weather, fire ban and the lightweight hiking style, a 2 lb stove that you can't use seems a little much. But, with all that said, those things don't raise any suspicions. I meet people every day that can't see past their own nose. They always think they have the greatest thing and no one comes close. They usually can't take criticism. No big deal. What get's me is that you only want to talk about your stove, but not completely. You first put a post describing it with some tiny pictures that show no detail, then add a lengthy description of its features with no pictures. There is always a reference to google chimpac for other forums. But, in those other forums, it is the exact post, word for word. No additional information. Even in a forum with people that are truly at awe with it. So, why don't you want to show people how to make it? Why not make a how-to post with detailed instructions? Seems to me that you want to sell them and you are prepping the market for them. Fishy, very fishy.

#119973 - 08/27/09 11:36 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA

To be completely fair, what is the weight of the wood I would have to carry for 1 week. You included fuel on one side of the equation, you need to include it on the other side too.

Yes, I'm serious, I'm usually in places with zero burnable material (high altitude deserts and mountains).

#119995 - 08/27/09 05:51 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I do not dry ANYTHING in my small tent. My priority is keeping my sleeping bag dry and I do not want any extra humidity. I wring out wet stuff and put it all in a stuff sack set in the vestibule. Wet shoes also are under the vestibule. Only dry stuff comes inside the tent. I put on wet stuff for hiking - after a few minutes of misery, it gets warm when you walk. If you wear wool and wring it out good, it really is not that bad.

Have you tried hanging the raingear on the inner branches of a tree overnight? I do this often and although it never really dries, it ends up only damp in the morning. If you have the right kind of trees, there are small spots within the tree that never get wet.

#120077 - 08/30/09 12:32 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
chimpac Offline

I do have a one track mind or obsession. I am slow on the

computer and neglect to post personal comments when they

should be made. I have some comments now to make a few points

clear. Its about the chimney joint, a tapered sleeve butt

joint. Tapered chimney sections made with light metal are not

strong enough when joined the conventional way.

Using the new joint, a chimney is strong enough to be

centerpole and hold a mounted stove.

I have patent pending on the joint feature.

A titanium centerpole chimney (near 10oz.) could be used to vent a gas stove.

I am only building and testing right now and looking for

anything out there that is better.

Thankyou to the judges of equipment on the forum for the

encouragement and constructive criticism.

I recognize the need for a chimney is disputed. I am a

backcountry traveller also and would feel deprived if I had

to use a shelter without a chimney.

Edited by chimpac (08/30/09 12:53 PM)
Edit Reason: add a few words

#120127 - 08/31/09 06:36 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
A wood burning stove in a tent is fun for a base/hunters camp. When I am moving camp each day I prefer a different shelter. I avoid using my Kifaru because it requires so many stakes-- just a high fiddle factor.

Kifaru and TiGoat both have good wood burning stoves for tents.

#120129 - 08/31/09 07:35 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I do have a one track mind or obsession. I am slow on the computer and neglect to post personal comments when they should be made.
I have patent pending on the joint feature.
I am only building and testing right now and looking for anything out there that is better.
Thankyou to the judges of equipment on the forum for the encouragement and constructive criticism.
I recognize the need for a chimney is disputed. I am a backcountry traveller also and would feel deprived if I had to use a shelter without a chimney.

Thanks for the post. It really helps to know where you are coming from. I wish you the best in your patent process.

#120563 - 09/08/09 07:38 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: ringtail]
chimpac Offline

Originally Posted By food
A wood burning stove in a tent is fun for a base/hunters camp. When I am moving camp each day I prefer a different shelter. I avoid using my Kifaru because it requires so many stakes-- just a high fiddle factor.

Kifaru and TiGoat both have good wood burning stoves for tents.

The stoves mentioned above are horizontal stoves which are not

capable of burning wood very slowly from the top down like

vertical gassifier type stoves. A slow hot steady heat is

needed for cooking, burning first the gas out of the wood

then burning all the charcoal that is formed by changing

the draft to only come in under the grate the charcoal is

sitting on.

Edited by chimpac (09/08/09 10:24 PM)

#120575 - 09/08/09 10:11 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Echterling]
Steven Offline

Loc: United States
Going back to the drying the gear idea, why keep it in the tent at all. The original post suggested his tent didn't have a vestibule. Why not make one with a garbage bag. Dry the wet gear with your towel, and keep it under your garbage bag vestibule. So what if the rain coat doesn't get completely dry. Just getting some air on it will help and you really didn't want that extra moisture in the tent to begin with.

#120680 - 09/10/09 08:39 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: wandering_daisy]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
That is correct about certain kinds of trees, conifers mostly, and spruce or fir especially. I know this well, but hadn't thought of it, I dare to admit. So thanks!

#120685 - 09/10/09 10:51 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Steven]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
"The original post suggested his tent didn't have a vestibule"
The tent in question is the TT Scarp 1 , one of the few singles to have TWO vestibules...
If you look at my picture, the "clothes line would be hanging on the outside of the inner (folded in so that you can see the set up...)
Obviously for anything to happen you need some air movement, a still rainy night is not going to dry those bits apart from the drip/dry bit. Still, better than nothing.
Franco

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum