Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119908 - 08/26/09 02:52 PM Questions for upcoming trip this w/e
painted lady Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Hello - not quite a newbie here, but only one trip in past two years since backpacking when I was a kid. I have a predicament, which I could use some advice for. I'm leaving Friday for a 3 day trip with husband and two friends. I'm not in the best shape, but 20lbs lighter than the last trip and I've been walking as much as possible in the last few weeks to get ready. Problem is I have fibromyalgia (yeah, I know I'm nuts for doing this) and a tight lower back from a stressful job. I actually need this trip to really get away from everything. Except for the back issue and the 20lb difference, I was in the same shape the last trip and did great after thinking I might never be able to do it. Just ended up with feet covered in blisters. Broken in trail shoes this time instead of boots. My pack has gone from around 35lbs the last trip to 23lbs so far for this trip. I'm still looking for something else to leave behind. One of my questions is, what's a good maximum weight pack for me being a 51 year old woman weighing 135 lbs and hiking 17-23 miles? I'm having an issue with the way my pack fits as well. I actually love my pack, but some of the adjustments don't work very well for me, particularly in the shoulder area. The last trip my shoulder was actually numb for awhile when I returned due to the strap cutting in. It still does it, but I made a couple of fleece pads last night (like you buy for seatbelts)and they seem to work. I've tried on packs made for women, but have been unable to find one I like or that actually fits well. The fit with the one I have now is more of a problem now due to my back issues. What can I do in the next day and a half to improve my situation so I don't kill myself on the trail?! I am determined to enjoy myself as much as I did the last time (in spite of the blisters.)I have never felt as euphoric as I did on that trip. Wow!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#119919 - 08/26/09 04:40 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: painted lady]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Lots of questions!

First, congratulations on losing weight yourself and in your pack; that will help a lot.

You asked about a "maximum" weight; the answer varies on what each responder believes. I've always heard 1/5 to 1/4 of your weight - 27 to 33 pounds, in your case. So, I don't think you really have to worry; you're well below it. (I'm assuming your 23-pound weight includes food and water.)

As far as what you can do in the next day and half? Very little, beyond surreptitiously slipping about 5 pounds of your gear into your husband's pack. wink On the plus side, you've already done most of the things you could (and we all should) do: get into shape, practice carrying the load, etc. One other thing I can think of, you've probably also already done: if you live near a backpacking shop, go in and try on every pack in the store to see if you can find one you like better than the one you have.

The only other thing I can think of is to review your projected route, and reassure yourself that each day's mileage and elevation goals are realistically comfortable for you, and re-figure if they're not.

Have a good trip, and let us know how it went.

Edited by Glenn (08/26/09 04:44 PM)

#119926 - 08/26/09 05:20 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: painted lady]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By painted lady
What can I do in the next day and a half to improve my situation so I don't kill myself on the trail?!

Devise a plan "B" that is acceptable to all involved just in case your body lets you down. The plan should include reduced mileage, alternate campsites and a way to lighten your load considerably. You can have a great time without covering a lot of miles.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119936 - 08/26/09 07:56 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: painted lady]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
For the blister thing. Moleskin and similar products are amazingly helpful. Just make sure you put it on at the first sign of a hot spot before you get even the beginnings of a blister. As to the fibromyalgia, I don't think you're nuts for going out anyway. If you're gonna hurt anyway you might as well be doing something you like. That way it's just pain. If you stay at home, you still have the pain and you're miserable to boot.

#119938 - 08/26/09 08:27 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: Eric]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
As a regular visitor to the chiropracter I can say to make sure you strecth your back out as much as you physicaly can, from now until the trail head, if the ride to the trailhead is long your back will need stretching and some time standing without a pack before starting, riding in a car will really stiffen you up. I actually take small cold packs that you can get at grocery stores for longer trips, they are light and can be very helpful before you turn in at camp, reducing inflamation at night will make your mornings much better.

#119965 - 08/27/09 10:21 AM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: painted lady]
lori Offline

Just a thought - can you rent pack goats or llamas where you're going?

I think I would have to see what the pack/straps are doing to make a good guess. I'd suppose that something in the fit of the pack is off. I bought one of the Granite Gear Nimbus line of packs for this reason - the frame will allow you to increase or decrease the width of the shoulder strap attachment, and they will replace the hip belt and shoulder straps with whatever level of padding or size you need, women's or men's versions, for free. I have found that the small pack frame and medium hip belt/straps works fine for me.

If your pack is not one with removable straps/belt, finding somewhere you can have yourself measured and try on different harnesses with the proper pack sounds like a good thing to try. Recently someone I know went back to be re-fitted - turns out the problems he was having was due to someone not measuring him properly and selling him a wrong sized pack.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119984 - 08/27/09 01:55 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I think Lori has it right on the fitting. A pack should be comfortable. If yours isn't, you probably have the wrong pack. Losing weight also changes the contours of your body, so if the pack fit before (and it didn't, from what you've said) it certainly won't fit now.

If you'll look farther down in this section of the forum, you'll see a thread on shoulder strap fitting. The source of the problem was obvious when the OP posted pictures of the pack on him that the problem was a poorly fitted pack--it was too small!

I know there's no time now, but you might want to have hubby take some pictures of you with the loaded pack and post them here when you return.

I hope you have a good trip!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/27/09 01:58 PM)

#119992 - 08/27/09 05:24 PM Re: Questions for upcoming trip this w/e [Re: painted lady]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
For the back, stretching the opposing and adjacent muscles (stomach and hamstrings) might help some. For me, tucking my legs to chest and rocking on my back helps loosen it up some.

Maybe the sternum strap on your pack isn't adjusted well. Generally, it should be just below your collarbone, or lower if this is uncomfortable. Tension it to keep the straps from feeling like they're cutting into your arms on the edge. Also, it sounds like maybe your shoulder straps are just too tight. (just a guess)

I'm a husky guy and weigh around 230, but I prefer to keep my pack weight in the 15-20 pound range for maximum comfort. Other than basic essentials/survival items, eliminate anything which can be shared which your husband is already carrying.

Maybe you could post your gear list, and others could pinpoint items for possible elimination or alternative lighter items?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum