Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119767 - 08/23/09 08:04 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight borne [Re: ]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
It depends. confused

At weights of less than 20 pounds I am generally using a virtual frame pack with no weight transfer to the hip belt.

With my "beast hauler", a McHale ZERO-SARC, the weight is all transfered to the hip belt and the only purpose of the shoulder straps is to keep the pack close to my back.

I am not familar with your pack, but suspect it can be solved by packing your heavier items closer to your back.

Edited by food (08/23/09 08:05 PM)

#119769 - 08/23/09 08:11 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight borne [Re: ]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Hopefully someone with experience at pack fitting for more traditional packing weights will respond.

I hope no one minds a related comment about pack weight, however: as I've lightened my load I've found that various pack fitting issues and related special pack features (load lifters, etc) are just decreasingly important.

For a more casual, infrequent backpacker, getting a more traditional backpack and doing a one-time fitting might make perfect sense. It's certainly a lot of effort and possibly expense to lighten up enough to really make a difference, but it's nevertheless an alternate approach to keep in mind.

#119772 - 08/23/09 08:53 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight borne [Re: ]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've worn a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 all summer. I'm not certain if the load-bearing systems are the same, but I found that I can get the best & closest fit by loosening all the straps, then tightening the hip belt first, then the shoulder straps to snug the load against my back; then the load lifter straps to adjust the load vertically up or down on my back. (The position of the load weight will vary depending upon how many water bladders and which tent I'm carrying). Sternum strap last, to set the shoulder straps into the most comfortable position.

You may need to move the shoulder straps down a notch or two so they are not riding up so high and gapping to your shoulders, but if you've been carrying the pack with no discomfort it sounds like you are carrying most or all of the weight on your hips which is good.

This is a little ritual every time the pack comes of and goes back on. I will admit most of my hiking and backpacking is on roadways or very hard-packed trails and the closer and tighter I can carry my pack, the less impact there is on my legs and knees. Which is also the reason I bought the Deuter ACT Lite to begin with.

#119775 - 08/23/09 09:40 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight borne [Re: ]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By ZE1
hi all,

I'd like to ask how weight borne by shoulder straps should be distributed (between the top, front and back of the straps)?

Honestly, I just don't see how any part of the shoulder strap but the top can bear any weight.

Assuming the hiker is standing erect on level ground, the pack is exerting force straight down. This force is counteracted by support from the parts of the body relatively perpendicular to it....the tops of the hips and the tops of the shoulders. Look at my AV.

Imagine a theoretical pack with no hip belt and straps that only go as far as the chest in front and the back of the shoulders in the rear. What would hold this pack up? Maybe a little friction but that's all.

Tightening the shoulder straps may make you feel like the chest is bearing some weight (maybe a small amount by friction) but in my experience it is actually borne by the hips and tops of the shoulders. What tightening the shouldr straps really does is take weight off of the hips and transfer it to the tops of the shoulders. Conversely, tightening the hip belt takes weight off of the shoulders. I feel that is the key to your problem.

The percentage of weight borne by the hip belt is a matter of personal preference. Personally I prefer to carry most of a moderate load on my hips and keep my shoulder straps very loose. This allows air circulation between the pack and my back.

If there is a gap between the top of your shoulder and the shoulder straps, your pack may be too big for you, the shoulder straps are adjusted too high, or you are wearing the hip belt too high.

Could you post a picture?

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119784 - 08/23/09 11:21 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight b [Re: ]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Wow a picture really can be a thousand words !!!!

My first thought is that your load lifter straps are too tight. What do you feel when you loosen them? Too much weight on the shoulders? If that's the case take the load off your shoulders by shrugging them and then cinching up your waist belt.

Also....the point where the shoulder straps attach to the pack looks a tad low. Is that adjustable?

I have no personal experience with your pack but it looks like a nice one. However it is possible, as with shoes, that this particular pack does not work with your particular body. But I would play with the adjustments more before drawing any conclusions. If possible I would have an expert (unlike me) check you out in person. We can only guess so much over the internet.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119821 - 08/24/09 08:40 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight b [Re: ]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I don't mean to be inconsiderate, but it looks like you really don't have hips. At least not to the point that you could settle the pack weight on them. How do your hips feel? Does it feel like you are supporting most of the weight? If not, the weight may really be dragging at your chest.

#119827 - 08/24/09 10:08 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight b [Re: ]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
The shoulder straps, on your Deuter pack, are set too low and the hip belt is riding too high around your waist instead of on your hips. Raise the shoulder straps, if possible, and take in the slack at the bottom of the straps. You want your hip bones to fit right in the center of the pads on the hip belt. Then adjust the shoulder straps from there. It looks like you are carrying both packs a little high around your waist (beltline) instead of on your hips.

Edited by Andy (08/24/09 10:09 PM)
Edit Reason: SP

#120086 - 08/30/09 04:34 PM Re: shoulder strap fitting - where is the weight b [Re: ]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
An alternate idea from one who wears his backs with the iliac creast in the middle of the hip belt: Try moving the load lifter attachment point on the Deuter closer to the top of your shoulders. From your pictures, it looks like it is down in front rather than at the peak. Then loosen the load lifter, tighten the hip belt, tighten the shoulder straps, and only then tighten the load lifter. The load lifter should bring the pack in tight to your back rather than lifting the shoulder strap off your shoulder.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum