Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139639 - 09/30/10 05:50 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
never underestimate the pack ability diversity and coolness factor of catching the fish with nothing more than a hand line if i dont bring a fly rod im taking something. smile

#139724 - 10/01/10 07:34 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Samoset]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've found that the fisherperson's skill and the willingness of fish to be caught (generally inversely proportional to the distance from the trailhead) are more important than gear!

I've been having fun with my Tenkara outfit (last year's Christmas present) but haven't yet caught a fish with it!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/01/10 08:39 PM)

#139932 - 10/05/10 04:35 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: OregonMouse]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I've found that the fisherperson's skill and the willingness of fish to be caught (generally inversely proportional to the distance from the trailhead) are more important than gear!

^I couldn't have sed it better myself^ you never know when youll see a good olboy a days hike in. with a stringer full of fish throwing line off a svea123r cup. << my preferd real for a hand line in the backcountry smile

#140189 - 10/09/10 09:36 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
bugle1up Offline

Loc: Montana
Keep it simple. If you know people who have packed into the area you plan to go ask alot of questions about what the suggest. Seems like 90% of the time I pack in there was a couple of things I should not of brought. As long as you have the proper first aid supplies and survival equipment the other stuff seems pretty minimal.

#145397 - 01/24/11 06:24 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: bigfoot2]
Trollgoal Offline

I just ordered 2 of these...how do you like it???

#145724 - 02/02/11 08:26 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: phat]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
My favourite is a 5-6 foot telescopic rod (I notice a bunch of shakespeare rods on amazon for less than $20). I also add a quantum snapshot reel (had it for 12 years).

I bring an aluminum fly tin half full of flies, 2 or 3 wedding bands, a couple other spinners, a spinning float, half a dozen hooks, snap swivels, weights.

The key for me is the spinning (torpedo) float. I rarely use a fly rod any more as you can cast with the torpedo float and you don't need a complicated setup.

I've attached a photo of the result of this setup. All were caught with a torpedo float and fly or wedding band.

Attachments
fish.JPG

Description: Fishing in a mountain lake. We probably caught 40 or 50 in a couple hours, but these are the ones we kept. They were all over 13 inches.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#145741 - 02/02/11 01:31 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Depending on the time of year and where I'm hiking, I might carry a modified ice fishing rod it was a dead stick rod that is 4'6". I had a rod builder buddy make it into a 2 piece for me, it makes a nice small stream rod for casting bubbles and flies, small spinners, jigs or fly spoons. It casts really accurately and I can slingshot under overhangs it. If I have some larger open water to fish I'll carry a small 4 weight 3 piece fly rod that roll casts like a dream. I do chase spring steelies in back country areas of northern Wisconsin and Michigan. I carry a fairly heavy 7 weight which is 3 piece rod when I'm chasing them. I'll normally carry a small fly wallet, or a small hand sized tackle box and a combo forcepts and scissors. When I do the backcountry trips with the sole purpose to fish I'll carry waders or hipboots if they are needed. Along with a larger fly selection and a few weighted streamers if we are close to the river mouth.

#148347 - 03/25/11 03:03 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Joshuatree]
Warren_G Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Canada
Hi everyone, first post for me.
I have been reading this forum for a few months, and thought I would start off in the fishing section.

I am an avid fisherman in the summer and winter, and usually prefer to troll around prairie lakes, but I am planning my first ever back country fly fishing trip this summer. I have managed to put together a fairly lightweight setup, and will probably pack in both fly and spin casting gear. I have a 4 piece, 9' fly rod with a small reel, but also found a telescoping rod at the local dollarama for $2 that I put an ice fishing spinning reel on. I built a rod holder out of a fluorescent light cover, a great tip I found on this forum. Also managed to find a tiny aluminum fly box that holds all my tackle, the whole works weighs less than a pound and a half, with 2 rods, 2 reels and all tackle I should need for a week.

#149930 - 05/04/11 10:39 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: countr21]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced 4 piece fly rod? I'm looking at getting a rod to take with me, but the three piece I had looked at wont fit in my pack.

#149937 - 05/05/11 10:36 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: james__12345]
jpersonna Offline

I think the Bass Pro Shops combos (Hobbs Creek?) are pretty good. That said, I think I'm going to try a cheap tenkara rod (google "tenkara" for a variety around $60). It may not be as adaptable as a spin or regular fly rod, but geez ... a 12" ul rod at 1.4 oz?

If I don't catch fish with it, at least I haven't carried much.

#149961 - 05/06/11 08:30 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: jpersonna]
james__12345 Offline

I checked their website, and I didnt see any four piece rods that were cheap enough for me. I guess I'll stick with the three piece I've been looking at and just strap it outside my pack. Its exacly the same length as my pack, so it wont stick out above or below it to snag anything. It should work out just fine, I just thought a four piece would be a little easier to pack up.

#150167 - 05/11/11 01:32 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
Ark the Mad Offline

I have been a backcountry fisherman for a long time and I have a really light set up. I'm an old fashion bobber, sinker, hook, and worm guy.(I know that sounds bad.) crazy Never got into fly fishing much, so I don't have a backcountry set up for it. I mostly fish, golden, browns, rainbows, and cuttrought. I do mostly shore and creek fishing.

Here is my gear list:
Pen fishing rod 2oz
MX 15 rear drag graphite spinner reel with 6lb line 5oz
Tackle box with 9 small bobbers, 12 hooks, and 20 sinkers 4oz
Nylon fish stringer 1oz
Very small thin plastic bait tupperware for worms 4oz

Just one pound. This works great for me. A few key points with my set up. With the pen rod you have to know how to use drag and have to use a net or shore your fish to prevent breaking the rod. This takes a bit of practice but not hard to do. As for bait I try to use natural bait like stonefly larva found under rocks in the water in early summer, late spring, grasshoppers, or larva from old wet rotten logs. But that's my region of the world and may not work for everyone. As for worms I have a very small tupperware with a three holes poked in the top. I shred non chemically treated paper and mix it with a bit of mud. As to make sure they live the heat of my pack I put a small ice cube on one side of the tupperware. This helps keep them cool for the trip in. Oh and if my rod or reel fail, I just use a stick and tie a line to it for an even more old fashioned method. grin

As for cooking them tasty fishies. I use two methods depending if I can have a fire or not. If a fire is permitted I use a modified fish friing grill with the handle cut off. I got it cheap at a sportmens store and it weights only 3.5oz modified.(8.5x8.5 inches) If I can't have a fire I use an alcohol stove and a bakepacker. I always bring an alcohol stove and bakepacker so I won't include this weight.

Sorry for the long post but I have been working on my backcountry fishing system for years. Just remember, do what works for you and this is what works for me. smile

#150182 - 05/11/11 06:05 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ark the Mad]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Thanks for the great post! I've been thinking about live bait lately... probably because I'm lazy. It'd be pretty nice to just throw in a line with a worm on it and let it sit there for a while instead of constantly casting with spinners or flys. Do night crawlers work well at elevation or do the locally found live bait work better?

Also, how do you season your fish when cooking?

#150184 - 05/11/11 07:03 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: BZH]

Just be sure to check the state regulations for where you're going. There are places where live bait is prohibited.

#150197 - 05/12/11 06:38 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: BZH]
Ark the Mad Offline

BZH,
Natural local bait has always been better in my experience. I believe the fish recognize it as their natural food source and don't hesitate to eat it. But don't get me wrong sometimes you can't find live local bait, thus why I bring some worms. I just get whatever I find in the garden. Worms for me have always worked pretty well. Better then corn, salmon eggs, tiny marshmallows, or fake bait.

As for cooking the fish. I bring a very tiny shaker of lemon pepper and garlic powder to flavor my fish. Gut and clean the fish and sprinkle lemon pepper and/or garlic powder inside the fish then cook it. This is my backcountry cooking method. At home I like butter, fresh lemon with sage, and a a touch of fresh ground pepper. But I'm not going to bring that in the backcountry as I try to keep it light as I'm sure most do here.

OregonMouse,
I always follow all rules and regulations and encourage others to do the same. I pick up a copy of my state's regulations every year as I also like to hunt.(I hunt for meat, I am not a trophy hunter.) But I'm not going to preach if anyone breaks a minor rule like pulling a fish out of the water without a licence to eat it.(Nor would I enable anyone that's breaking the rules by giving or lending them equipment, no matter how minor.)But they better not complain when the ranger writes up that ticket. I will report people if they are hurting animals for no reason.

#150205 - 05/12/11 12:36 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ark the Mad]
james__12345 Offline

A friend of mine just got a fishing with out a license ticket here in Tennessee. Its 195 bucks or so. When the license is only around 20 bucks, not worth the risk in my book. I think they also have the right to take all your gear away if they decide to (I know they can do that for poaching, not sure if its that way fishing or not).

#150226 - 05/12/11 03:48 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ark the Mad]

I'm not accusing anyone of doing wrong here! It's just that each year the fishing regs get more and more complex and detailed, down to the individual region and even to the individual stream or lake (certainly true here in Oregon!). Those of us who want to fish unfortunately have to check out the regs for where we are going as part of trip planning. There are game wardens who do get into the back country--I've met some!

#150329 - 05/15/11 04:55 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
jwild Offline

I am solely replying to you as I dont have time to read all the replies, which iam sure contain good info. I have had one of the cheapo shakespeare telescopic rods (the little 4'6" ones)for 12+ years? now and have pulled in everything from cutthroat in Yellowstone to largemouth in wisconsing, to big pike in the boundary waters. I swear i though the thing was gunna snap so many times when in to a big one but it would bend in half unlike any pole (I am an avid angler) I have ever had and keep on going. Also my friend bought his the same time as me and still has his as well and uses it regularly. For the price (like 15 bucks on Amazon) I would have to recommend it and I tend to shy away from recommending products.

As for line/tackle/bate/ well that is so situational I would not know where to start except that no matter what, I always keep a few "inline spinners" with me. these are akin to Mepps or Panther Martins and tend to be an all around good spinning reel lure for all types of fish from trout to musky. NOTE: I do not often fly fish unless going with people who solely do, and really know how to as it is an entirely different art form within itself smile

#150962 - 06/01/11 01:02 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: jwild]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By jwild
I am solely replying to you as I dont have time to read all the replies, which iam sure contain good info. I have had one of the cheapo shakespeare telescopic rods (the little 4'6" ones)for 12+ years? now and have pulled in everything from cutthroat in Yellowstone to largemouth in wisconsing, to big pike in the boundary waters. I swear i though the thing was gunna snap so many times when in to a big one but it would bend in half unlike any pole I have ever had and keep on going.

got into a small muskie at Craig Lake State Park in the U.P. recently and the tip of my pole bent past my reel, finally breaking my line; I think there was a bit of sand in the real as the drag would not let line out =/ but the pole held up lol

#165489 - 04/30/12 07:22 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
Samuel Cook Offline

excellent post...
i was really searching for this...
Thanks for the useful and informative post...:)

Edited by aimless (08/20/12 12:32 AM)

#168502 - 08/15/12 09:53 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Samuel Cook]
Tony Q Offline

Loc: Maryland
I guess I'm the weirdo here because I like to bring along a Medium-Light action Berkely Lightning, 2-piece 6'6" spinning rod, with a 2000 size reel (I have a couple to choose from) with 8lb line since I am mainly fishing for LM bass. crazy
I use the Berkely because it is pretty light and sensitive, but it's also cheap enough that if it got lost or broken I wouldn't cry about it.

And on a separate note, Samuel Cook appears to be a spammer...

Edited by Tony Q (08/15/12 09:57 AM)

#168937 - 09/02/12 12:36 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
Badgerman Offline

March Brown makes a really nice 7 piece pack fly rod. I think they have a 2 fer sale right now. I use a 9 foot for 3 weight. Spinning rods are st croix 4 piece. All excellent rods.

#169364 - 09/13/12 08:57 AM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Ender]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
My personal opinion from my experiences is that a closed face reel and telescopic rod is better for backpacking than an exposed bailed reel and segmented rod. I also carry in my emergency gear: 20# braided line, some hooks (barbed and unbarbed), couple leaders, 4 steel nuts (for weights).

#169752 - 09/24/12 08:36 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: anicinabe]
Off-Trail Offline

Loc: Ohio
My fishing kit consist of a ice fishing rod and small ultra lite reel.For tackle I carry an assortment of soft plastic lures like grubs with swim tails and lead headed jigs. Plastic worms rigged Texas style.For some flash i use spinner baits, not in line spinners they hang up way to easy. Plus I hate treble hooks they kill way to many fish.I also carry poppers and ice jigs and a few floats. Some plain hooks and split shot for live bait.I love using top water lures like buzz baits and soft plastic frogs so I carry a few.I carry all this in a strap on tackle box.One more thing the floats i carry are weighted for easy casting of ice jigs....a must have.

#169754 - 09/24/12 11:06 PM Re: Fishing gear for hikers? [Re: Off-Trail]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I guess it depends where you live because none of that would work here.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum