Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119539 - 08/18/09 05:55 PM Strangely tired since return from trip
rehdjac Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula
Hey folks,

I got back from about a week on Rainer last Friday. Ever since, starting just about exactly after we got home, I have just been dog tired. I'm always sleepy, feel kind of hazy, slow and stupid. Now, after plenty of days to make me think this isn't just recovery, I'm getting, uhm... tired of being so damn tired.

What gives? Anyone felt this before? Did I drink a bug? Filtered with a Sweet Water pump. Does that even sound like anything that could be in bad water?

Blah.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

#119540 - 08/18/09 06:28 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: rehdjac]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
With all due respect to the participants on this forum, I don't think you should look for a diagnosis here. If you feel fatigued, it could be anything from the yuppie flu to some obscure metabolic disorder and nobody here is qualified to express an opinion via the internet. See a physician; don't seek advice from a bunch of laypersons, however well intended. confused

#119548 - 08/18/09 10:05 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: Pika]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree. It could be something not related to backpacking at all; it may have just developed while you were gone. However, be sure to tell the doctor you were just on a backpacking trip; it might cause him or her to look beyond the usual "civilized" suspects when arriving at a diagnosis.

#119551 - 08/18/09 11:51 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: rehdjac]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, not going to try and be a doctor at all, but I can say I have had the same thing happen to me a time or two. I can go on a longer hike, be up 'til after dark and up as it just starts getting light everynight of the hike, and walk myself into the ground everyday for a week and feel fine every single one of those days.

The moment I get home though, the next day or two I'm usually tired(and hungry), even if I sleep great each night. I wouldn't say I was ever overly tired, just more so than a normal day at home.

However, as has already been suggested, it might be something to have a doc check out. Especially if you've been back for a week already. It might be something to be curious about.

#119641 - 08/21/09 12:40 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: rehdjac]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I get that way sometimes after coming back from a hard hiking trip or even just a few days of really hard work. Always have.

Read the thread phat started about a low salt diet

Sometimes you need to just give your body a good rest and time to recover. The last time this happened I spent two days in bed sleeping most of the time. On the morning of the third day I woke up feeling like a new person.

When I was younger it only took one day. Good thing too, cause that's all I could afford back then wink

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better now!

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#119643 - 08/21/09 01:23 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: rehdjac]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Listen to the wise Pika.

Even if a doctor were to respond here, he/she could not give you an accurate diagnosis without testing and a personal examination.

My only advice is this: If your condition persists seek professional treatment.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119653 - 08/21/09 03:45 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: Trailrunner]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There is such a thing as post-trip depression. I've experienced it after one-night backpacking trips and after three-month trips to Europe. There's something about getting home and back to the old grind after being keyed up and enjoying yourself that causes a let-down. It's a lot more than jet lag (on which I blamed the feeling after the Europe trips). It's worse, of course, for those who have to go back to work. Now that's really depressing!

Planning the next trip really helps, I've found.

I hope that by now you're feeling better! If not, please do consult a physician!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/21/09 03:48 PM)

#119695 - 08/22/09 02:21 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
There is such a thing as post-trip depression.

That's for sure. It hit me hard the very first time I came back from a real camping trip and lasted for a couple weeks. I was only 14 and had spent two weeks in the Sequoias. When we got back to the logging road I was ready to run back into the forest and never come out. The old timer that had brought me there told it was common to want to do that, but the 20 feet of snow that would start coming in a few weeks is what always stopped him.

It doesn't happen to me anymore, but I don't live in a city anymore either.

And, as OM said, I always get a spark when I'm planning the next trip.

"You want to go where?"

#120022 - 08/28/09 12:08 PM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: billstephenson]
5arah Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Agreed with billstephenson. I spent three weeks in the Gila National Forest as well as other shorter trips, and getting back into society was very overwhelming.

#120051 - 08/29/09 04:36 AM Re: Strangely tired since return from trip [Re: rehdjac]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
rehdjac,

Any updates on your condition?

Hope you're feeling better.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum