Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119445 - 08/16/09 02:52 PM Quamping with Quinoa
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I've become fascinated (or obsessed blush) with quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), that looks a little like couscous, although a bit smaller -- like millet.

It's neither a pasta nor a grain, but actually a seed grown on a plant that looks like spinach-on-steroids (some quinoa plants can grow 6 feet tall.) It's been cultivated (originally by the Incans) in the Andes for 5,000 years. (BTW, most quinoa sold here comes from Peru and Bolivia, although they're growing it now at 7K feet on the slopes of the San Juans in Colorado.)

What's special about quinoa is that it has the highest protein of any grain, and contains the amino acids lysine, making it a complete "supergrain" (although it's a seed.) It's also a great source of minerals and vitamins, such as potassium, riboflavin, magnesium and B6.

My wife got me into this, serving it last year and asking me what I thought I was eating. I incorrectly thought it was couscous. Since then we've had it several ways, with corn and black beans in a southwestern style, or with feta and spinach or arugala in a Med-style dish.

Which gets me to quamping & quinoa & some questions:

It seems like this would be a great item to take on bp trips. This tiny seed when cooked increases to 3 to 4 times its volume -- and that fits well into a UL pack.

First, though, is the question of its bitter protective coating, called saponin, that the plant developed to protect it from consumption by birds & from high-altitude sunlight. This needs to be thoroughly rinsed off the seeds before cooking/consumption. Yet I've read that most (all?) quinoa sold in the US already has this task done before packaging. Is this true (Sarbar)? Is there anyway to know if this has been done? I see nothing on the labels of pre-boxed quinoa that gives this info. (BTW all quinoa, being the seed of this South American plant, is gluten-free -- which is proclaimed in bold letters on some brand-name boxes as a nifty marketing tool.)

Second question is cooktime. It's certainly not as quick and easy as couscous, but several sources say it's still faster than rice. I notice on Sarbar's trailcooking blog that she recommends cooking & dehydrating quinoa prior to hitting the trail. But is it possible to take the raw, uncooked grain and cook it on the trail freezer-bag style? I've got a week-long bp planned in September and want to take some (alot) along and want to experiment with a few recipes before the outing. Any suggestions/recipes?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#119460 - 08/16/09 08:48 PM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: kevonionia]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
You won't be able to FBC it, but you can quick cook it one pot style.

Most brands DO prewash it, though I have heard you can wash and then pan toast it at home. Check the brands - Trader Joe's is ready to use. Get a brand with a short cook time. You can bring it and the water to a boil, steam a few minutes. Then tuck in a pot cozy for 10 minutes. You don't need to cook it the entire time smile

The precooking/dehydrating does allow you to treat it FBC style and use it just like couscous and rice - so it is worth the extra time smile

BTW, try the red quinoa if you can find it. Very good!

#119498 - 08/17/09 02:52 PM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: kevonionia]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
kev, I've used it for breakfasts, lunches and dinners with various items added to it, similar to couscous. It's good as a hot cereal for a change of pace in the morning. I prefer the red quinoa. Yes, it takes a long time to cook. It's nice if you do bulk meals, like taking one item (rice) and using it for just about every meal. A little goes a long way. I use the stuff that comes in a box. It's pre-washed. If you like it crunchy, just don't cook so long. At the time of my experiments with it, I cooked with Esbit, so one tab or 2 Coughlan tabs did the trick.
Earthling shared this idea with me a few years ago. smile

#119500 - 08/17/09 03:10 PM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: leadfoot]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
You can also pre-cook the stuff and the dehydrate it. you can rehydrate it very easily on the trail in much less time than it takes to cook it... goodjob goodjob goodjob goodjob

#119636 - 08/21/09 10:19 AM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: kevonionia]
mountainhick Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quewt thread title.

#119639 - 08/21/09 11:53 AM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: mountainhick]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
mountainhick:

Quewt? THIS is quewt! grin grin

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#119664 - 08/21/09 05:19 PM Re: Quamping with Quinoa [Re: kevonionia]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
This is quewt

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum